Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K5 Dyno pics

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Shawn, Aug 21, 2000.

1. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

Here's some pics at the Dyno to get a "before" results of upcoming engine mods. The results were pathetic for a big block and what hp/torque I thought it had and what the dyno said were way off. I basically have a GM reman. crate 454 (1988) with truck peanut port heads, Comp 260 cam, Performer manifold, Quadrajet Carb. The rear wheel HP was only 190 and torque was only 335. [​IMG] In the factory specs, that year of engine should produce around 230hp at the crank and after going through the 465/205/14 bolt, it could be contributing to the low rear wheel HP. I thought the 454 with the cam, performer manifold, and headers would have more HP but maybe not. I think my peanut heads are the bottle neck. Future mods are GM 049 oval heads milled, with 2.19 valves, and Holley MPFI. Maybe a different cam but I'm not sure on that yet. I encourage anyone that thinks their big block has over 500hp or their small block has over 450ft-lbs to actually dyno it before you start posting magical figures. The rear wheel horsepower will always be less than at the crank. I had to run my small wheels/tires in the rear since the Swampers wouldn't fit on the dyno. The small tires will actually improve dyno figures since they don't weigh as much. I can't wait to go back with the new heads and MPFI to see how much those will add.

She's strapped down and ready to go-
    [​IMG]

This was taken at 90mph!
    [​IMG]
    Rich was really hoping those straps would hold!

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

COOL PICS![​IMG]

[​IMG] Sept 1

3. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

4. Shawn

Thanks! That is a Kayline soft top and yes, you just take off your stock hard shell and install the soft top. Check out the review on off-road.com http://www.off-road.com/chevy/reviews/kayline/ or there's also a review on this site as well about the soft tops.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods

5. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

Actually with your 35's on or whatever they are, the torque and hp is gonna be less. Just a fact with what we do.

6. Shawn

Yes, any large tire will decrease torque and HP. Just the weight on the larger tires is enough strain, then you have the additional height that decreases aerodynamics. Plus it changes your gearing. Imagine what 44" Swampers would do...

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods

7. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Yeah, but even with that "low" of HP and torque #s, a 454 "feels" like about 2 350s...the power difference is incredible!! Most 350s must come in at about 100 HP and 200 ft/lbs.!!!!

ken

8. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

shawn, what size are your big tires?

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

9. Shawn

The newer LS1 small blocks that were there were making me look bad! They were at 300hp at the rear wheels but of coarse they're not pushing large 465/205/14bolt gears. My torque was as high if not higher than most. There was a supercharged 96 Mustang SVT Cobra that did 483HP and a Pontiac GTP V6 did 322 w/nitrous. Here's the figures for everyone that was there: (sorry so long)

Owner/Callsign---- HP/TQ
    Car Tranny
    Mods
    Dan---- 227/263
    Red 2000 Mustang GT 5sp
    Borla cat-back exhaust

Clint / Hugger Orange SS---- 324/334
    Hugger Orange 1999 Camaro SS 6sp
    SS Exhaust \\ Whisper Induction w/K&N Air Filter \\ Granatelli MAF \\ GM Motive 4.10 Gears \\ ASP Underdrive Pulley \\ Magnacore Wires\\ LS1.COM EGR Mod \\ LS1.COM Ram Air Mod

Jereme / RedTailHawk---- 307/315
    Red 1999 Firebird Firehawk 6sp
    Lid / MAF / SS Exhaust

Mike / '00 SS #7549---- 308/315
    Black 2000 Camaro SS 6sp
    Lid / K&N / FRA / EGA

Rich / RichB 99GTP---- 322/357
    Green Grand Prix GTP AT
    3.0" S/C pulley / Thrasher CAI / Reprogrammed PCM / NGK TR55's / Custom Exhaust / 180 tstat / Casper's adjustable fuel pressure regulator / Nitrous (75 hp shot)

Ben / SHOOFF96---- 483/402
    Mystic 1996 SVT Vobra 5sp
    10lb V2 SQ w/aftercooler Bassani off-road h-pipe, DMP Mil Eliminators, BBK twin 62mm throttle body, Borla cat back, Ripper, Mac upper and lower rear control arms, Mac rear end girdle, FMS 4.10's, FMS aluminum driveshaft, FMS shorty headers, MSD DIS 4
    (Ben: I cut out a lot of the non-perf stuff in the interest of space (Rich) )

Alan / FastAl---- 331/340
    Silver 2000 Camaro Z28 6sp
    Lid / Borla Wide Open / BMR STB / ASP Pulley / EGR / FTRA

Scott / Maverick_WH---- 328/336
    Pewter 2000 Camaro SS 6sp
    EGR / MAF / Dynomax Exhaust / Lid / K&N

Gustavo / Wicked LT1---- 290/311
    Black 1996 Camaro Z28 6sp
    Headers / 3.73 gears / MAF / Pulleys / Borla Cat-Back Exhaust

Tommy / Tommy303---- 246/287
    Black 1999 Mustang GT 5sp
    K&N filter / custom x-pipes--no mufflers / B&M Ripper Short throw shifter / FMS 3.73 gears / Abbot ERA / FMS Pulleys / FMS 70mm Throttle Body / C&L 80mm MAF / Nitto 555R Drag Radials / SCR Subframe Connectors

Dave / SuperToy---- 223/252
    Red 1999 Toyota Tacoma TRD 5sp
    TRD Supercharger / 3" exhaust / K&N

Drew / SS'sive---- 329/336
    White 1999 Camaro SS 6sp
    Pulley / Lid / MAF / SLP Exhaust (two on the left)

Shawn / Rodent---- 190/335
    Gray/Blue 1987 Chevy Blazer 4sp
    454 Chevy BB / Exhaust

My large tires are:
    36"x14.5" (16.5" wheel)

I currently have 4.10 but will be installing 4.88 gears and front ARB this week [​IMG]

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods

10. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Shawn this is why I say go as big as you can on engine size. I have a Caddy 500 in my blazer and I has a lot of lowend torque but I doubt it is any better than your big block. But I probably get better mileage. We took my brothers Nova with a well built Caddy 530 engine in it. This engine has 13 to 1 solid cam a fully ported heads. His engine ran there at Dyno Pro in Denver,I think thats where yours was dyno'd at and it only made 470hp at 5200rpm but it made 821ftlbs at 3000rpm. You are right on people saying that they have 500hp engine is a bunch of bull because it takes a lot of work to get it to 500hp and then it will not be very streetable.

Donovan

11. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Shawn I have a friend here in Denver with that Comb that you are thinking about building. It is a 73 454 with the 049 heads that have been ported and he does have flow figures. I think it was a Comp Cam and this is in a 73 blazer with 33 inch tires and 3.73. It runs real good. So if you would like a ride in it I bet I could arange it for you. Let me know if you do.

Donovan

12. Shawn

Thanks Donovan. I'm sure your Cadilac engine has much more power than mine. I'd like to see some flow figures on your friends 454 but you don't have to arrange any ride. I appreciate it though. You're right, that place is Dyno Pro at 5330 Tennyson, Denver. We got a group rate so it was $50 and as many runs as you wanted. These guys are real cool and let you change the settings on the motor between dynos. If anyone is interested on the next group dyno in Denver, just email me and I'll keep you in the loop of the next run.

sspickler@off-road.com

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods

13. CruisinK5

CruisinK5 1/2 ton status

That is one awesome K5!

"Have you driven over a ford lately?"

14. Captkaos

Captkaos 1/2 ton status

Shawn,
    Surely you didn't think you had 500hp? The 260 cam is smaller or about the same size as the original. The peanut ports are hurting you high rpm breathing, but helping your low rpm velocity.

If you want close to 500hp, get your compression about 9.5:1, get the heads flowing about 300cc's, and get a bigger cam with about .560-.570" of lift. But, this would be like going from your current Comp 260H to a Comp 305H. BIG difference.

If you do this, you idle quality will be poor, power will be about midrange and up and your vacuum at idle will stink. I am running a 300/308 dur and .560/.590" mechanical cam in my 454. At idle (750rpms) I can count the cylinders. Max vacuum at idle is 10. And the cam pulls to 7200rpms, but is a dog below about 2500. Also, depending on what computer you are going to use to control your MPI, you might run into problems there. Be choosy on cam specs when using a computer. Talk to Squash about this, he can definitely give you some guidelines.

Keep in mind the rpm range and level that you use off road wheelin' too. I wouldn't put a cam the size of mine in a 4x4. It would be heck. The EFI would help some though. Just remember, you were happy with the motor until you strapped it down on the dyno and saw the numbers.......

Chris Lucas
    http://www.captkaoscustoms.com

15. Shawn

NO! I would never even imagine having 500 hp with that reman motor. I was hoping for 250hp and 400lbs of torque but even that was way off. I'm talking about others that say they have a 500hp big block motor that they just got out of a truck with a only a few minor mods or a 350 produces 450lbs of torque but it has stock heads and a mild cam. I realize the larger cams are not good for any 4x4. I was thinking about replacing the Comp 260 but only going up just a little in cam size. Just stating that the dyno proves the real numbers thats all.

I was never happy with the engines performance compared to my old big block with 049 heads. I almost bought your heads you had for sale.

BTW- The computer is a Holley brain which comes with the MPFI system along with all the wires and sensors. The computer is configured with a laptop and Holleys software. Nice kit!

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods

16. Donovan

Donovan 1/2 ton status

Remember we have altitude here in Denver. You will not get 500hp here with out being very unstreetable. Also when people post dyno figures they are showing them at SAE standards which is something like 60 degrees temp. 29.92 baro and alot of humidity. You will never see these real numbers. I seen a superflow dyno sheet on a small block race motor that made 720hp corrected but that same motor in Colorado Springs uncorrected made only 550hp. So altitude plays a big role in how engines run. I like to run around 10 to 1 here in Denver. That helps some what. Remember there is No replacement for Displacement.

Donovan

17. Captkaos

Captkaos 1/2 ton status

ok, just checkin\'....

That is what I thought. Just checking. As for the dyno proving the numbers, I am in 100% agreement. I don't quote hp numbers and when asked, I just say mine makes 200hp.

I get a kick out of people who say theirs makes X amount of power and then the car runs SLOW!. I have sat/ridden in a car with 500 hp (513 actually) before, dyno proven. In fact, if you go here http://www.jmschip.com and do a CTRL+F for Tim Martin you will see the car. And my other buddy Brian http://www.jmschip.com/main-news.html#brianb-517 is making 517HP and running 10.80's in the quarter.

Chris Lucas
    http://www.captkaoscustoms.com

18. Captkaos

Captkaos 1/2 ton status

19. Shawn

Yep, the altitude sucks here when it comes to power. We're always about a second slower at the quarter. Those figures were all corrected by the Dyno itself. The real numbers are actually weaker. The supercharged/turbocharged vehicles seem to handle this better since they can shove more air in the engine without detonation. On my Grand Prix GTP, I can run a smaller 3.0" supercharge pulley but at sealevel it hates it and triggers tons of KR. Still, no vehicle can ever produce as much HP/torque than it can at sealevel.

Shawn
    87 K5
    few mods

20. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

I hope to have mine on a dyno as soon as I can come up with some stock tires on the cheap. If I were you, I would run an XE268 compcams cam. That's the cam i've got, and I couldn't be happier. It is 268/280 @ 0.008" (adv.) lift. It has some lump at a 700 rpm idle, but under any load, it smoothes right out and has lotsa power, even when i'm only in 4-lo.

Squash
    http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash