Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K5 Endgate Window Poll

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 73k5blazer, Feb 19, 2005.

?

Where does your K5 Endgate window fall

1. Power - Works great, use it all the time, never touched it

120 vote(s)
    28.4%
  2. Power - Works great, use it all the time, but I've rebuilt it

66 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. Power - You mean that window is supposed to roll down?

72 vote(s)
    17.1%
  4. Power - What Window?

18 vote(s)
    4.3%
  5. Manual - Works great, use it all the time, never touched it

45 vote(s)
    10.7%
  6. Manual - Works great, use it all the time, but I've rebuilt it

33 vote(s)
    7.8%
  7. Manual - You mean that window is supposed to roll down?

31 vote(s)
    7.3%
  8. Manual - What Window?

37 vote(s)
    8.8%
  1. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I just finsihed spending WAY too much time putting together my engdate, I'm just curious who's stuff out there works right...

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Mine used to work just fine, never been touched and it's power. It does need to be lubed and looked at now though.

Rene

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Mine is slow , but has been for 4 years , never stopped working or smelled like electrical fire , so I chalk it up to needing new fuzzies and some grease since its way old and dry rotted :)

4. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Well I just re-wired mine this week. The 25 yr old wiring was cracking and causing shorts. Also, the key switch didn't work anymore so I took it out in favor of a 3 position switch from crappy tire and a hidden on/off switch underneath so not just anyone can get in at anytime. My doesn't have any weather stripping, fuzzies, and is rusted to hell but I farmer fixed it enough that it should work now.:blush: :crazy:

5. k5redneck

k5redneck 1/2 ton status

what window.......:grin: i pulled mine out last week because the top is never going back on, and i have had two brake on me:whistle::whistle:

6. dontoe

dontoe 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well replaced two of mine with pickup tailgates. '73 and the '75 the '86 rear window shattered last month as I posted. Strange occurrence! Now I have Plexiglas until I find a good tailgate for a good price. Other priorities though.
    So: "None of the above"

Last edited: Feb 19, 2005
  7. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

mine always worked fine, then removed top so i dont use it now :k5:

8. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Mine on my 86 works...kinda. When it's 10 degrees outside don't even bother. Below 40 degrees it needs a bit of help going up and down. This summer I'm gonna replace the tailgate with a new one I've had in the shed. When I do that I'm going to grease it up and replace the fuzzies. My dash switch stopped working. It will put the window down, but not up. Have to check that.

I put a truck tailgate on my 79 and haven't looked back. Weatherproofed the interior and just leave the top off. I have 2 rear glass collecting dust. 1 used and 1 brand new :whistle:

9. dontoe

Ya wanna sell one. My supervisor is from Oil City. How far is that from ya?

10. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Had power one at one time. Safety Switch was screwing up on me where the gate is cracked so converted to manual. I like the manual better than the power then but now that I have the spare mounted in the middle on the outside, would be nice to have my power one back......

11. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Oil City is about 120 miles away. It's northwest from me towards Erie.

I'll sell either of the glass I have but I'm not sure what they are worth. As I said 1 is brand new never been installed, the other one was salvaged from a parts truck.

Feel free to e-mail me since they frown on non members selling parts through the forums.

12. dontoe

Sorry...... Didn't mean to high-jack posts either. I tried to PM/E-mail, E-mail me please/ or PM. Should have asked that in the first place. Still learning this stuff.

13. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

My old K5's rear power window worked pretty good, but I did have to "adjust" it once when it got sort of finiky. My current K5's power window works like a charm.

Now, my drivers side power window is a different story.. LOL. That sucker works good some days, and sluggish the next. :mad:

14. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I've rebuilt my manual one. sine I did that it works like a charm. Trick is getting new rollers and rivits for the regulator. I lubed the living snot out of them and wire brushed the tracks the rollers ride in. Fill the tacks with more lube and it was done. This works wonders for either sytle of regulator.

You can get the Rollers and rivits at the dealer, that is if your dealer has a parts guy that is worth anything. I had them look up for 91 knowing it would be still in the parts catalog.

The rollers are what wear out due to the tracks getting rusty. once the tracks get rusty the rollers stop rolling and start sliding, wearing one side flat. Once they go flat the effort to raise or lower the window increases. That increased effort is why stuff starts to break.

15. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

My rear window in my '90 K5 worked fine for about 10 years. Then it wouldn't go up by itself. I tried to replace motor but GM does not offer it new. The dealership here buys them rebuilt from somewhere in TX. I tried 3 different rebuilt motors and it still doesn't work. I replaced all hardware too. Everything is new but just won't work right. GRRRRRRRRRR. Probably the one thing on K5's that I think is just NOT good.

16. clstolten

clstolten 1/2 ton status

The motor in my K5 took a big dump. I think I am going to mount a $6 harbor freight cordless drill in there and wire it up. Should be able to chuck it right up to the square flexible rod that spins and makes the window go up and down. Much cheaper than buying a new motor.

17. nomadman

nomadman 1/2 ton status

Mine is slow, especially when cold but still goes up & down and I do use it all the time. I'll probably give it some attention this spring to keep it going - couldn't live w/o it!

18. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I know the power regulators have thier own set of problems with the motor and cable crapping out. However, if you can reduce the friction and load of the motor by cleaning up the slides and re-lubing or replacing the rollers you will get a faster moving window.

I know on my manual window it was stuck hard enough that it would not go up the last 2 inches of travel. I know I could have broken the crank arm before it would have moved anymore. If my manual regulator was stuck that bad I can imagine the damage it would inflict on the motor, cable or gears on a power regulator. For under $15 bucks you can save yourself having to go by another motor/cable or whole regulator.

Remember if yours is slow now, chances are it will eventually stop and when it does it will take something out with it.

19. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I havent had my tailgate on in a while... but back when I used to run it all the time it worked fine. There was an annoying switch in the gate that went belly up on me. I forget the exact details, I think its the gizmo that tells the window motor not to run when the gate isn't in the closed position. The wiring worked its way loose and eventually the window wouldnt work. I bypassed that stupid thing (some people are smart enought to only use the window when they are supposed to...) and it worked great. Now my tailgate lays behind my shed. Oh well... lol.

j

20. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Fixed mine when I initially installed it, (key wouldn't work, cab switch did) but it just recently went back to key not working.

Probably tear it apart again, really don't like the hand cranks (break as often as the electrical stuff screws up if used IMO) and the electric when working, is nice.

In my case I know its the key switch itself, I "rebuilt" the switch before, so I'll just tear it down again and see if I can't figure out why my last repair didn't stay working for longer. Thats the last project on my table at this point though. :)