Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

k5 engine that barley runs

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by aduff85k5, Jan 12, 2005.

1. aduff85k5

aduff85k5 Registered Member

i bought it from a friend, it had been sitting for some time (4 months), when i bought it, it started right up after a new battery, had a knock to the passenger side valve covers/engine (that did not go away) but not too bad, changed the rad fluid and oil, it got cold one morning in the teens cold (not like that very often here in florida) and i tryed to start it but then it all happened. it seemed to me the passenger side of the engine was missing and sputtering...the same side as where the knocking was comming from. now the truck is very diff. to start and when i do start it there is an explosion that happens above the carb. it will die if i attemtpt to give it gas, i have not been driving the k5 as it is in the middle of axleswap and regearing. i'm not very proficient with engines but have put a carb and an intake on an iroc z28 once. anyone got any insight?
    thank-you

2. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

I would take the valve cover off and inspect the rockers. If it has a knocking sound from under the valve cover with backfiring etc ... you could have a broken pushrod?

Just pop the valve cover off and inspect.

Thomas.

3. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

yeah, pull that valve cover off and take a look... If you've got fireballs, also get the timing on the engine

4. aduff85k5

and a broken rod is immediatley noticable? right? thanks

Last edited: Jan 12, 2005
  5. cwn anwyn

cwn anwyn 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You could have a rocker that cracked and fell off. I just recently dealt with that. 3.50 at Napa and I was on my way.:grin:

6. walla2k5

walla2k5 1/2 ton status

oooohhhh,yeeeeeaaaa,sounds like you left a wrench in there....:thumb:

7. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

Just take the cover off and have someone start it up for a few seconds and watch the rods/lifters /springs etc.. You should be able to figure out what exactly is causing the noise.

PS: Put some damp rags around the exhaust so oil doesn't get on the header/manifold. Just besure to remove the rags as soon as you shut down the motor.

Thomas.

8. aduff85k5

thank-you to all i now am 50 % more smarter than i was 24 hours ago.