Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

k5 floors

Discussion in 'The Body Shop' started by chiefheaphy, Mar 15, 2007.

1. chiefheaphy

chiefheaphy 1/2 ton status

I'm doing sheetmetal work for the first time, replacing my rotted floors. The rear cargo area seams pretty straight forward. The front section on the other hand... if I could see the parts in person I could probably figure out what I need, but in Massachusetts my only option is mailorder.

Anyone have any suggestions? Does the front floor rear section come with the rise and the lip that the front cargo section bolts to? Are there specific repair panels that fit between the rocker and rear wheelouse, where the bottom seatbelt mount attaches?

Thanks guys!

The Heaph

2. chiefheaphy

I'm doing sheetmetal work for the first time, replacing my rotted floors. The rear cargo area seams pretty straight forward. The front section on the other hand... if I could see the parts in person I could probably figure out what I need, but in Massachusetts my only option is mailorder.

Anyone have any suggestions? Does the front floor rear section come with the rise and the lip that the front cargo section bolts to? Are there specific repair panels that fit between the rocker and rear wheelouse, where the bottom seatbelt mount attaches?

Thanks guys!

The Heaph

3. jpdrake

jpdrake 1/2 ton status

from mass also down on the cape.
    im in the same boat, i dont think they make sheet metal where the seat belt attaches. take a look at my pics i posted in this room.

4. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Where are all these Mass guys coming from? We should definitely do the meet n greet this year....

For my floors, we just used plain sheet metal..Take a look in LMC truck, I think they show all the floor peices in there...good luck

5. chiefheaphy

title

when i get my blazer runnin well have to go wheelin in byfield or NH or somethin. I got a tailpan and tailgate posts today from raybuck auto parts. Good service and fast shipping. They even called me cause the t-gate posts where for a 81-87 chevy truck and they noticed I ordered a 88 blazer tailpan. I figured they would still fit and they will.

Bigblaze...what are your fav. parts stores around Northeast. I'm gettin sick of the Autozone and Pepboys in Salem. How bout indyauto?

later
    b. heaph

6. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I am in the middle of some thing. I have a few pics in my floor/rocker post
    edit, opps thought I was in the 67-72 board

7. noahrob

noahrob 1/2 ton status Author

Check out page 4 on the link in my signature and let me know if you have any questions. I used LMC panels.

8. NEK5

Indy`s good...I`ve gotten a few things from there...I like the Napa up that way too....

9. MA87K5

MA87K5 1/2 ton status

If you can. Wait till April for the swap meet at stafford springs raceway in stafford CT.

10. BlackWidow

BlackWidow Registered Member

Check out LMC truck like mentioned above, they have a diagram of all the parts and their prices are pretty resonable!

11. MA87K5

MA87K5 1/2 ton status

Sorry I thought you were local.

12. MEK5

MEK5 1/2 ton status

You will have to get creative with some areas and make your own pieces,everything is not avaliable.My lower seatbeat mount was totally rotted out as well as everything else along the outside.

The rocker backside was only a partial so I bought a RH and LH and spliced them together to get the curve on both ends for the rocker.The back floor corners where it steps up,I had to make.

If you buy from LMC dont get there rear floor supports,paper thin JUNK.

IMG00008.jpg

IMG00009.jpg

13. runamok151

runamok151 1 ton status Premium Member

chief, i'm getting ready to do the same work. i ordered from lmc. yes the rear floor patches come up the back to the bed floor. i've looked on a number of sites and haven't been able to find anything for the bottom of the b pillar. mine is rusted out real bad where the seatbelt mounts too.

arrow points to bolt hole
    [​IMG]

i was planning on cutting a piece of 16 ga. to fit with about a 1"hole where the bolt goes. figured that would give me room to weld around the bolt to make it sturdy

14. chiefheaphy

?

Anyone have any idea what the measurement between the tailgate posts is?

Is there any prep to do on the LMC panels or can you just weld them right in black paint and all?

I'll try to get some pics of progress soon.

15. chiefheaphy

cargo repair

test fit of tailgate posts and tailpan

tailgate posts are a big pain in the **s to get out!

16. chiefheaphy

oops

here are some pics

IMG_0036.JPG

IMG_0037.JPG

IMG_0038.JPG

17. NEK5

yeah, I`m gonna have to do that sometime....I would love to get my rig rust free...

18. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Moved this to the Body Shop (with redirect in the tech forum) and merged with other thread that was currently in Body Shop.

Thanks! :thumb:

19. runamok151

runamok151 1 ton status Premium Member

there aren't any bolt holes for the seat. had to lay the seat bracket on, marked out and drilled the holes, then tacked some fender washers and nuts on the bottom. i didn't get much farther w/ the weather. i've been hesitant about starting to cut, being my first time.

how was the tailpan to get out? i haven't ordered that yet. figured i'd get the stuff off the top first then see what's under it.

20. chiefheaphy

tailpan

DEpening on rot the tailpan comes out pretty easy. It is actually bolted in. I found it easier to cut out the bigger sections and get them out of the way then work on the attachment points. If you replace the tailgate posts. make sure you get a good step bit or spot weld cutter. THere must have been atleast 10 spot welds on each side plus a couple other stragellers. Ill get somepictures up of how it looks w/o the posts in.

Also...keep the top on if you have one..it will help to keep everyithing square. IF the quarter panels start to sag put some support 2x under them at the corners.

ITll be awesome to have a rot free k5 on the East coast.
    Is rust bullet the way to go when we are done?

-Heaph