Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K5 frames....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TXsizeK5, Sep 6, 2003.

1. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Is there something different between K5 frame and say, an early bronco frame? I was talking to a guy today and he had an early bronco and tube body and I mentioned i might do something like that. He told me that the frame for a k5 would not be good for that... i dont know why... whats up with that? Different material? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Sounds kinda bogus to me. Probably just thinks his junk is better than a K5 could ever be. </font>

3. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

wheelbase might be what he is talking about... overhang front and rear...

There really isnt much other than overall size "different" in any of the bobtails. Heeps, Early Bronco's and K5's are bred from at least the same idea... but the lighter rigs like the Bronco and Heep caught on more for trail use mostly because (in my opinion) of thier power to weight.

Other than that (and the obvious Ford vs Chevy/GM) the idea behind them is the same. The Frames are pretty much the same, C-channel steel each with its own built-in flaws and weaknesses.

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    ther than that (and the obvious Ford vs Chevy/GM) the idea behind them is the same. The Frames are pretty much the same, C-channel steel each with its own built-in flaws and weaknesses.

[/ QUOTE ]

I would say the guy was talking about the frame areas around the front parts of each truck. By this I mean the Fords have a boxed frame from the steering box to the t-case area. Less prone to cracking around the gear box. From the t-case on back, its the same as the GM frames , c-channel section.
    Also, Ford frames are straighter. They don't curve up and down to go over the suspensions, etc. This means more strength with less bends.

Just some ideas there. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

I thin he did mention something about "c-channel" now that I think about it, or something.

Has this stopped anyone from making a tube body??