Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K5 Free to Good Home, Includes Driver

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 350350, Oct 30, 2005.

1. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

:laugh: 9am Saturday: Get out of bed well-rested, and hustle to load the K5 onto my NEW Car Trailer for its maiden voyage, and am also excited to try out the new 35" Mud Tires on the K5. Haven't been wheeling in months so just generally excited, but also taking my Wife and 2 kids (Z-5 and Soph-2) as well as our friend Ivory who has never been wheeling before, but wants to try it out. A promising day ahead.

:wink1: Loading up goes well, but takes a bit longer than planned because I couldn't decide how far forward to load the truck. Had to unpackage the new tie-downs and such, but the girls had the gear ready by the time I got the truck ready. By 11am we were off, the K5 was prepped to hold 2 car seats and still have room for all 3 adults and seatbelts for everyone!

:bow: We spend nearly $100 filling the K5 and the Van for the trip, and leave the gas station to hit the interstate and see how things tow. I got the truck a little too far forward and ti wanted to wag a little above 65, but still towed well all things considered. (G20 High-Top Van with 170K on the rear springs tends to wag a little without towing!) We're on our way!!!

:D Arrive at the trail head parking lot and unload the K5 with only minor incident (nobody killed...) and we all load up in the K5 to hit the trail. We were supposed to meet up with a group so we wouldn't have to be alone, but I was dying to get on the trail so I thought we'd go a ways up and back just to make sure the Baby Girl was going to be OK.

:eek1: About 50 yards up we hit some big rocks and things get bouncy. Baby Girl does ok, but to my amazement, my veteran shotgun partner, my Son who has been on countless trail rides with me, this trail in particular, starts freaking out and wants to stop. I figure he'll get over it and calm down once we get over the rocks. Nope. I'm bewildered. Once Big Brother freaks, Baby Sister freaks. Then Mom freaks and is yelling for everyone to shut up. I'm embarrassed at how much my wife yells anyway, and Ivory NEVER yells, so I'm now responsible for ruining her day and her first ever trail ride. This continues while I turn around and go back down the hill, and to make things even more wonderful is the fact that it keeps popping out of LoLok, so I really didn't get to test out the new tires at all either.

:doah: We load up probably less than 15 minutes later, and head home, this time with the load a little more well balanced. We hit the home driveway around 5pm and I go to straight to bed. Ivory came up before she left about 8pm and I apologized to her (I take medication that makes me very tired so it's not uncommon for me to just go to bed without warning...) and she was very understanding and said she still enjoyed spending the day with us even if it didn't go as planned. She's always positive...

:( The truck is still on the trailer and I'm thinking of selling the whole shibang and getting out of 4x4ing. At this point I'm the only person in our family that has any interest in going, and I haven't lived here long enough to know who to ask to go along shotgun. I know several guys that go wheeling, but they all have their own trucks too, and it gets pretty boring riding by yourself. I went from having a truck load of potential 4x4 fans to being a loner in less than 50 yards.

:p: I could probably get enough out of the K5 and all my 4x4 gear to put a supercharger on the Camaro, another lifelong 'want'... Something I can enjoy every day and the hell with the passenger. My Son loves to go fast, and is constantly asking me to "Pass that Guy Dad" and "Go Faster Dad", but who konws, maybe he'll suddenly lose that desire like he lost the 4x4 bug.

2. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

man....you gatta keep the k5! is there a reason u have to trailor it, or is the mpg the only reason? wheeling by urself might not be as much fun as having a crew in ur rig, but it definitely beats the alternative!

3. 74757685k5

74757685k5 1/2 ton status

I'll take it.!!!!! 4 K-5s just isn't enough. besides I dont have a 77 yet

4. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Don't get discouraged man. Try and find a club in your area and people to wheel with if your wife and kids are that against it. I'll bet in a year or two (or hell, even tomorrow) your boy will be all for it.

It's not worth giving up a hobby you love because your family doesn't.

5. Brocky

Brocky 1/2 ton status

I have realized one thing about all this. Never get your buddies to like wheeling too much. They then go buy a rig and eventually they all do and you have no passenger. The last run I did a few weeks ago I was by myself all day. 7 hour run by yourself, no one to curse with, spot out the window, or hell talk too. I just gotta get some new buddies without rigs. hehe. But my woman wheeled with me right up until she was 8 1/2 months. Since the little guy has been born I am by myself. When he gets old enough she will go again and try him aswell. What age should be safe for a baby? He is 11 months old now. But when all else fails the womans younger sister wants to go wheeling with me, and , ummmm, ..... shes hot. :D

6. rhuarc31

rhuarc31 Registered Member

You're buddies getting rigs isn't to bad as long as you all stick together, and having cb's helps (besides if they get their own rig they have to bring their own beer, not drink yours). But here's a tip for you, I just mention that I'm going wheeling about a week before at work. Talk it up a bit, and voila, I have enough volunteers for passengers that I can pick and choose.
    Don't give up on the kid though, mine has good days and bad days wheeling, and is usually a lot tougher when his mom isn't with us (which is most of the time, she's not that into it).

7. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

Keep your rig. I have 2 kids that change their minds all the time. My son use to be scared when wheeling and my daughter loved it, and now they have changed spots. Try going out and camping, fishing and wheeling. Mix it up a little bit to take care of everybodys interests. We like to go to Hollister and take the quads with friends. Some of the folks like motorcycles, some wheeling, and some just the stars and a camp fire. If you really enjoy wheeling, don't give it up, your kids will come around and enjoy doing anything with their dad.

8. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

I got the car trailer about 50% so I can get the K5 home if I tear it up and about 50% because I'm always buying beater cars to part out or keep parts for myself. I've been wheeling for years and I drive as far as 4 hours to an outing IN the K5 and worry the whole time about what the hell I'll do if I tear it up and can't get home. That's why I was so excited about the trailer, I could really let loose and see how long it takes to tear out 1/2 ton axles with 35" tires!!!

9. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

Great! But where do *I* sleep???

10. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

I guess I've always been spoiled because my Wife used to like to go, even had her own truck for a while, but when she got pregnant with my Son we quit wheeling for a couple of years, and I started taking him with me when he was about 3 years old. He has always loved it and this is the first time he has shown any fear or adversity to it. That's why I was so shocked.

11. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

I used to be the perfect husband and passed on many chances to fool around... turns out my wife cheated on me for about 2 years, so I turned out to be the fool... Take the Hot Sister with you!!!

12. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

I think you're right... between the two kids, Ivory, and any other gearheads I meet the longer I live here, I'll eventually have passengers...

13. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

It's funny you mention his mom being with you... This is the very first time that my Son and I took anyone else with us. Also, we were always in a group before too. Maybe these things freaked him out?

14. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Kids change their minds a lot and get scared for dumb reasons, we were all there once. Probably just a fluke, I'd take him (and just him) out on a couple of easy trails and see how he reacts.

As for my last comment, it's not even close to the same situation but my dad and I have pretty much had a falling out over wheeling. Our relationship used to be great and is now rocky at best. I could have made the situation easier by just selling everything (at a huge loss) and gone on my merry way, but I love it, and it sounds like you do too. There are ways around things. You'll have passengers and buddies that want to go, just give it a little time.

15. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I never minded when I had no passengers with me. I actually kind of like it better. That way, there are no annoying distractions, and no backseat wheelers (which are the worst btw). Plus, there is always someone on the trail with you. I NEVER go wheeling if its only my truck. Heck, I usually dont go wheeling unless I have someone with me in a truck that is big enough to actually pull me out (i.e. not a 4cyl heep). So, you drive by yourself for a maximum of 10 minutes, only to get out and pick your line, and talk to all your spotters/friend/adjoinging wheelers. Driving with nobody else in the truck actually lets me feel more in control.
    -Harrison

16. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

It's been a year, did you ever sell the K5?

17. 350350

350350 1/2 ton status

Still got it, it sat in the jungle for more than a year, still runs great but does pop out of LoLok on occasion. It needs a LOT of 'tuning', as the carb I put on it is off my old Malibu's 406, which needed every bit of gas the 750 Holley could deliver on demand, and I could hammer it with nothing but wheelspin, even once over about 30 I could hammer it and the carb was tuned very well for the 406. I got in a bind, wife blew the motor in the Malibu (posted here somewhere!!!) and I dropped the Holley right on the mostly stock K5's 'fresh' 350. It's a '90 model and already had the special intake for the different bolt angles etc etc.

Now I have 2.73's and 35" tires, and if I hammer it from a stop, it blows raw fuel out every nook and cranny around the hood!!! Backfires, then might or might not remain running. I have to go really easy on the throttle to get the performance right, and between trying to keep my right foot on the NP203 shifter and feather the throttle, both hands trying to compensate for a full half turn of slop in the steering, it's a workout just to drive the damned thing let alone 4-wheel with it. I start it up once in a while now to keep the battery up and fresh fuel in it. Looks Cool. Should haul the trailer around town OK since the wife got the van with my $200 brake controller in it, but I might make some money on the side when I get strong enough to haul stuff on the trailer.

Keeping it and a couple of other cars the wife considers 'junk' as a savings account for legal activity. Wife and I actually get along better than you could imagine given the circumstances, so I've only lost $4,000 so far on a lawyer, and hope that we have a mutual agreement in writing within the next week. She got the van and the Pontiac, so she has a spare vehicle if the van goes down. She didn't even try to take my Camaro. Cheers to her on that one, it's the first thing most guys lose in a divorce.

Much more ranting and raving to come, now that I'm not a vegetable all the time and I have what I think is fair (for now, but when I get stronger and can take them places and play more...) custody of my kids, so I have a lot of spare time to sit and rant on the computer. You guys are the only ones who listen to my whining without much beating on me about it. :bow:

And let's just dump this internet identity thing, the reason for that has long passed. My name is Scott E Rigdon, and I am ALIVE. Hell, email me at 350@350350.com if you want my address. Stop by and have a cold one if you want. If the kids are here they get 100% of my attention though, so keep that in mind. Might want to call first. I'd love to ride along to Wal-Mart just to have someone to talk to...

Cheers,
    Scott