Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K5 Fumes

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Poker, Apr 5, 2005.

1. Poker

Poker Registered Member

when i said it smokes me out i ment that the exaust fumes are killing me.
    when i drive and roll the window down the fumes just roll in. its not black smoke or anything like that just the smell of fuel vapor... make me sick and queezy. when i get out i smell like i have been in a monster truck show in the cheap seats. dont know why it does that. i had it looked at and the guy says there isnt a leak anywhere.

trying to find out any suggestions :confused:

2. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I think a vacuum gets created inside when you roll the back window down so it sucks the fumes in. I usually roll down the front windows a couple inches to help with the air flow when I have the back down.

3. anthony stark

anthony stark Registered Member

My exhaust manifold was broken in half under the right side heat shield

4. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

If its the stock exhaust, there has to be a leak somewhere. The manifold could be cracked, the manifold gaskets could be leaking, the doughnut gaskets could be bad, there could be a hard to see hole somewhere. With stock exhaust it should smell that bad. If you have duals, the its possible. With the back window down, the air from under the truck tends to get sucked up and straight into the back window. I have exhaust ending right under my seat, and I can roll any or all windows down and not have a major smell. Granted, I smell exhaust, its just not enough to make me queasy. If thats the case, you could be running rich or something.
    -Harrison

5. trailblazer86

trailblazer86 1/2 ton status

Are you talking about the side window or the back glass?
    If you are talking about the back glass, the low pressure created by the vehicle will allow the exhaust fumes to enter the vehicle.
    You could try to find an air deflector. This may move some air down over the back window and help increse the pressure behind the vehicle.The defelctor looks a little like one of the wings on a rice rocket just over your back window opening.

My Blazer does the same thing when the rear window is down. I thinking about moving the tail pipe to another location as I am not willing to add the deflector.
    If I take the top off and keep th side windows rolled up the fumes still make it up to the cabin, but it is just a wiff compared to having the top on.

6. bluehen

bluehen 1/2 ton status

If you have sliders on the side of your cap open them up full bore. Even with the front windows up that seems to create the right air path to keep the exhaust out of the front of the cabin. You don't feel the wind either.