Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K5 Hardtop aluminium inside frame

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ratau, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Ratau

Ratau Registered Member

I got a 1982 Blazer 6.2 diesel and I been told the hard top got a aluminium frame inside it. I want to put a roof carrier on it so I want to find the best spots to mount such a custom made carrier. Do you know off a link where a drawing off this frame can be found or any other info.

Danie

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

To my knowledge, the inner supports in the cab are steel, thats why they rust apart. :)

Only support I know exists is right along the back of the roof, right where the factory spoiler is mounted if present. Just above the rear window essentially.

I don't believe the "half hardtop" K5's had any other structural support, not sure why they'd need it since the cab steel is right there.

3. 78blazaer

78blazaer Registered Member

I put a carrier on my and drilled a set of bolts through the top. I then sealed thebolts with weather strip glue.

See pic http://community.webshots.com/mypho...D=246000292&photoID=401805352&security=jccLtA

Note: You need to put a metal backing plate or a good set of washer inside the cab. I ended up cutting the excess bolt and capped the nut with screw caps. I used the same thing people used to dress up their engine with (you know those aluminum bolt caps.) This is one safe way to prevent your passenger from hitting their head on the bolt sticking from carrier bracket.

4. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

My Conferr rack came with well nuts for fastening. Just drill into the top, no need to find metal framing. Works just fine. Well Nut

5. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

Mine is mounted with Well nuts as well. Four small brackets bolt on to the top with well nuts, then the rack clamps onto the brackets for easy removal. I've had 200+ pounds of gear plus myself standing up top and it's plenty strong. Plus you only have to drill through 1 layer of the top, not all the way into the cab.