Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K5 Hardtop on a Burb?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TRAILTOYZ, Feb 24, 2006.

1. TRAILTOYZ

TRAILTOYZ 1/2 ton status

I'm in the mood to lose some more sheetmetal on the burb. Has anyone put a removable K5 hardtop on a Burb yet? I'm thinkin about putting in a couple of sunroofs out of wrecked Impalas also. Would make shooting bunnies on trail rides a lot more fun :D :eek1:

2. thebigdaddyof2

thebigdaddyof2 1/2 ton status

Yep, it's been done by a few.
    Here's a couple of pics:

Burban-like.jpg

Burban-like2.jpg

3. IGOR

IGOR 1/2 ton status Premium Member

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Now thats just sexy , I'd own that :bow:

5. SUPER'BURB

SUPER'BURB 1/2 ton status

No kidding, I love that look.

I am working hard not to start hacking away at my rig but being here on CK5 makes it very difficult.

6. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

so did the burban have to lengthened a little? kinda looks like it from the way the last one is. maybe my eyes are playing with me???

looks very sweet

7. IGOR

The green one is my buddy's Burb - he didn't lengthen the Burb at all. The inside of the tailgate of the Blazer matched up perfect with the end of the floor in the Burb. It might have been lengthened a 1/4" or some - but just to get the sheetmetal stitched together - nothing more.

The tail lights are from the Blazer - he cut the Blazer vertically, just in front of the half top and down to just about 3" above the horizontal body seam.

He then cut parallel to the horizontal seam (about 3" above it) until he was about 6" away from the tail light area - then cut down to the rocker.

He cut the Suburban the same way, and mated them together - I was giving him crap the whole time he was doing it - but it actually came together pretty sweet.

If you look at the primer - it outlines where he cut the stuff.

The only hard part he had was getting the ribs in the Sub roof to look good with the sudden transition to the flat Blazer roof - now that I think about it - I don't know what he did - but with a 12" lift & 40" tires - only the truckers could criticize it... LOL

That's as far as he took it though - he ended up trading the Burb for a sweet 3/4 ton 74 Chevy Long box.

8. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Makes sense to me , I was under the tail of the Burb in the yard Sat afternoon , and it looked like my Blazer . The area the tailgate hinges bolt to looked abut right to me .

9. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

Here are a few pics I've saved.

5586Killer_burb2.jpg

ebay burbalanche.jpg

watermark.jpg

10. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Lots of cool rigs in this thread! But alas, I don't see how I could do that and still keep the rear a/c functional. ;)

11. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

You have to have some custom quick-disconnect lines made like hydraulic lines are.

12. tx_sub

tx_sub 1/2 ton status

What would it take to graft in a '92 and up AC unit that sits opposite the spare tire? You would have to get creative with ducting though.

13. HarryH3

It would take a lot of work. Our '94 Sub has that setup and it runs all along the entire side of the rig. :(

14. TRAILTOYZ

TRAILTOYZ 1/2 ton status

That green one is a sweet looking rig! I did some trimming last night and cut out the spare tire well and trimmed up the rear quarters. Next week we're building a rear bumper/fender guard and ordering tube for the Exo & roofrack.

I also drew up a gas tank skid so once that is finished and powdercoated I'll be selling them on here so you don't have to rig your own. I'm also pulling out all of the rear A/C stuff and installing a Mojave heater...up here you'd use the rear A/C like 1 day a year :rolleyes:

Once the spare tire well hole is patched up and re-Herc'ed, I'll be installing our new 2x6' Tuffy Security drawers. I plan on using it as a mobile cabin this hunting season so it may also get an on-board water heater and outside shower from my buddy's old motorhome. I'll post pics :D

15. IGOR

16. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have 73 body that no one seems to want and I'm trying to figure out how to graft it in. I will most likely do a 75 on up style though, I am probally going to try the rear a/c idea cause mine has it and would be cool to have it after the conversion. I do want to add rear heat.

17. HarryH3

The factory rear heat ROCKS! Mine will get the whole truck HOT, even when it's 5 degrees outside. :cool1:

Your best bet will be to find a rig in the junkyard with it and strip it ALL out. There's a water valve on the passenger side fender well, rubber and steel lines that run along the frame rail, the dash switch and the wiring. Take everything that's attached. :)

18. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Yeah haven't been looking yet but thats what I want

19. SUPER'BURB

SUPER'BURB 1/2 ton status

Pics please!!!!!

I am looking at doing trimming and choping. Seeing what others are doing gives me more ideas.

20. TRAILTOYZ

TRAILTOYZ 1/2 ton status

I'll post some pics soon. Also, if anybody has the rear heater setup and wants to trade for A/C lemme know. Mines about to come out