Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K5 hieghts ^^^^

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by K Cinco, Mar 13, 2003.

1. K Cinco

K Cinco Registered Member

I recently bought an 87 K5 and put a set of 32" ATA KO's due to the cost.....they were available. my goal is to ask and find out how big most of the blazers are thet are out there, and if there was a good idea of a point to stop at as far as getting too top heavy and all that noise. please include all lifts done body and suspension, and the combo of tires prefered. Because as soon as these tires wear out the truck is going to see some altitude! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> As low of lift as possible and hogged out fenders is very popular now to keep the CG low. There are guys on this site running 38s on 2" of lift and 42s on 4" of lift. I'm on 42s on about 6" of lift. Then there's the other side, running 35s on 10" of lift or 40s on 10" +3" body lift... Personally I feel that 6" is about as high as you should go if you want to maintain a fair amount of flex, add 2" of body lift to that if you want for 8" and you can fit just about anything short of 44s.

Oh yeah, and <font color="red">WELCOME TO CK5!</font> The greatest Fullsize GM Truck site on the net. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

First of all:

Welcome to ColoradoK5!

If you spend some time looking through some of the posts and the galleries you will find that the terms "too big", "too tall" and "too much" are all relative.

Some folks want to fit larger tires without lifting the truck very high.... great idea but you better be comfortable with chopping the heck out of your fenders (this is a good thing, honest! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif).

If you want to get some decent suggestions, then tell us what you want to do with your truck. Do you want to just drive it around on the street or do you want to take it to hell and back?

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    First of all:

Welcome to ColoradoK5!

If you spend some time looking through some of the posts and the galleries you will find that the terms "too big", "too tall" and "too much" are all relative.

Some folks want to fit larger tires without lifting the truck very high.... great idea but you better be comfortable with chopping the heck out of your fenders (this is a good thing, honest! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif).

If you want to get some decent suggestions, then tell us what you want to do with your truck. Do you want to just drive it around on the street or do you want to take it to hell and back?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah we need to know what your purpose is.
    I have a wheeler, it's rough and I don't want a street queen so I have a 2.5" lift and 35" tires with lots of trimming, and I am switching to 48" tires with the same lift and no fenders.
    I want to keep the weight low, and flat springs flex better.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have 6 inch suspension 3 inch body for a total of 9" and 35" tires. I am hoping to get a set of 38s soon. I run mud where altitude helps quite a bit. I don't care about center of gravity as I'm not off-camber very often.

6. K Cinco

ok fellas here is some information on myself.... /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif I am a hypocrate, i have spent a lot of time till this point doing cars. I live in florida where there is not all that much in the way of hills or rocks to really speak about, but we do have sand down here, and when it rains then we also have mud... lots of mud. in the last six months i started a second job driving tow trucks in my spare time and have worked aroung guys that like bigger trucks, so i became interested and looked to buying a 4X4. Being a person that doesnot do things half way i talked to some people about what to look for... and i found my K5. Being a hypocrate now this truck will stay clean, (that is the car side in me talking) /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif however I did not buy this truck to let the 4WD get sticky from no use it will get exercised. so there it is you have about all the info there is available me, my history, goegraphic surroundings, etc......and thanks for the responses so far,I am looking foreward to even more input. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

7. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

It sounds to me like a 6" lift with 35" tires would be just what you need.

No fender trimming needed and it will look great!

Then you will find a HUGE mudhole and wish you had 12" and 44's! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. K Cinco

cool all except the getting stuck and then needing 44's. bein a tow driver i have learned this already....4WD makes it easier to get stuck were fewer can get to ya! However shortly after i got this truck all the guys got together and we schrounged two reese frame hitches now there is on on the rear and the front so i at least can get pulled out either way.......ooops /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

9. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Hold up... I've seen plenty of florida trucks and I must say they are definitely some of the biggest I've ever seen. Unless you plan on going north to GA chances are you wont find any rocks down there more like lots of mud and sand.

So I'm gonna for warn ya now b4 it's to late... stay away from a body lift!!!(IMHO) I can already see it your gonna be sport'n a 12" lift and 42-44's. It'll happen trust me and being in florida thats no big deal. Only place I've been besides Texas where 4x4's sit higher then my Freightliner. I have 4" lift and 36's planning on going 48-53's and lowering the truck a little more if possible, but I play in the rocks and trails.

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I hope to move to texas or some other limited lift law state someday and have a K5 or something else sitting higher than a freightliner as it was put. But I also want to have my actual toy that sits on a 6" lift and 38s or bigger. Right now my plan is 6" lift and 37s on my K5. Should work pretty good to keep me out of the mud, pennsylvania mud hasn't been known to swallow whole trucks.

11. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

My rig started out on 35s with 4" suspension lift. My lift was a Rough Country lift and seemed to sit higher than a typical 4" lift. If I as only running straight stuff or mud, that would have been find. But the trails around here with lots of gulleys and washouts would get my axles twisted and the tires would get into the fenders. I trimmed the fenders some and used the Bushwacker cut-out flares. I think it all looked really good. I also had a rack on top with lights and spare tire (full 35" BFG MT). The very tip top of the highest point was about 9' 6".

I have now gone bigger but shorter! I now have 3" body lift (not a problem if installed correctly), 1" axle offsets and the same 4" suspension lift. That is 8" of total lift. I am running 42" TSLs and have ditched the flares to allow for more trimming. The latest pictures can be found on my web site. I will be removing the rack this week as the hard top os being replaced by a soft top. After removing the hard top, but with the increased lift and bigger tires, the top of the truck is gonna be around 9'.

Hope that helps for ya some.

12. K Cinco

You all are just feeding the need my wife will be thrilled to hear, (yeah Right) that I am actually expected, as I have the responsibility to build my truck like Sarah Winchester and never stop. Cool guys thanks and keep it up. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

13. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

'90 K5 Jimmy: 5.5" BDS all-spring, ORD 1" Zero rate, ORD 1" Body Lift. Right now with 37's my Jimmy sits at 7'10. But I am planning on 39.5-42's this summer.

BTW, the rear 5.5BDS springs flex well enough to rub the 37's in the rear inner fenderwell /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

14. 70~K5

70~K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    '90 K5 Jimmy: 5.5" BDS all-spring, ORD 1" Zero rate, ORD 1" Body Lift. Right now with 37's my Jimmy sits at 7'10. But I am planning on 39.5-42's this summer.

BTW, the rear 5.5BDS springs flex well enough to rub the 37's in the rear inner fenderwell /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Shoot I'm on 37" boggers and 6" procomp all around and I'm only at 7'.

15. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

im 6'8 and my k5 has 2 inch lift and 33's....the top is just barely over my sightline on tip toes

16. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    Shoot I'm on 37" boggers and 6" procomp all around and I'm only at 7'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah but my total lift is about 7.5" So I have plenty of room for the bigger meats /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. outsider223

outsider223 1/2 ton status

With my 87 K5 with ~4" Rough Country lift and BFG 33's I sit at 6'11". That is if the drive-through clearance at McDonalds is correct at 7 ft, cause I just barely fit. Its fun to see their faces at the drive-through window though! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

18. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

The ones with no awning are your friend. I saw a guy in a lifted 70s K20 at Arby's once, he made my K5 look simple tiny. He had to open the door and lean down at the drive through window.

19. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Correction! I measured the Jimmy at its actually 6'11!!! I guess those drive-thrus aren't accurate /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

20. outsider223

outsider223 1/2 ton status

I got curious and measured my blazer. It sits at 6' 10". So I guess the McDonalds has their act together for one thing.