Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

k5 is done

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tecton, Sep 15, 2004.

1. tecton

tecton 1/2 ton status

ive had it

today started off as rough as i had to trace down a radiator leak, an oil leak, tune the AF on the carb, assume thats why its surging, fix the parking brake
    hunt down electrical grimlins, why is the rear end popping, and replace the brakes/rotors

lol....so ok, i guess i can do this.

my friend who is going to help me gets in and goes to put on his seat belt, i hear a "clang clang" the lower seat belt retaining bolt ripped out of the side of the truck. inside, much to my displeasure, i found a huge gaping hole.

This truck is just totally not safe, and i am entirely too sick of worrying about weather or not it will turn back on once i turn it off.

Will i be back to fullsize trucks? Im sure.
    But right now, if i have to pick one vehicle to own, and i do, its not one that works half ass, half the time.

i think ima rip off my brushguard, lights, stereo, HU and drive that sucker over to the car dealership and leave with something dependable

on a side note, anyone want to buy a black brushguard and two 50w 6inch halogens?

2. Bullet

Bullet 1/2 ton status

See ya later

3. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Sorry you are discouraged with your truck--I can say I know how you feel,I have 4 older GN vehicles(3 on the road at the tune of 130 bucks a month for insurance--I drive about 100 miles a month lately,due to no job and lack of gas money)and I have not been able to go anywhere this summer due to one truck blowing it engine,that and the price of fuel and parts--and I hate driving any of them long distances,despite doing all my own work and knowing my vehicles inside out--I still know they are old,and can breakdown anytime.I too have been tempted to get rid of all of them and buy one decent newer vehicle,but I cant see all the expense,taxes,insurance,and worrying about someone stealing or vandalizing it.I know that no matter how much you fix them,it seems like they are never really fixed,its just one more thing off the list of woes--right now I'm kinda stuck where I am,with no job I have little incentive to change anything right now--I hope you get another vehicle that treats you well--its fun fixing an older rig up,but only to a point--I know its frustrating.Like the old saying goes--Its hard to make chicken soup out of chicken poop!. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Owning a 20 year old vehicle of any description or brand is gonna require a fair bit of work on your part when you first get it, then reasonable maintenance should keep it as reliable as anything else.

Sometimes it's better to deal with the Devil you know...rather than the Devil you don't. My truck is imperfect but I know every single inch of it, top to bottom, front to back. It's 24 years old this month and I wouldn't hesitate to turn it Southeast and drive 1200 miles to Moab tomorrow, wheel the hell out of it and drive home.

Unless you buy something new, you're gonna keep running into things like this with every vehicle you own. Either get good at pulling wrenches and suck up the unexpected...or get used to big car payments.

Rene

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Owning a 20 year old vehicle of any description or brand is gonna require a fair bit of work on your part when you first get it, then reasonable maintenance should keep it as reliable as anything else.

Sometimes it's better to deal with the Devil you know...rather than the Devil you don't. My truck is imperfect but I know every single inch of it, top to bottom, front to back. It's 24 years old this month and I wouldn't hesitate to turn it Southeast and drive 1200 miles to Moab tomorrow, wheel the hell out of it and drive home.

Unless you buy something new, you're gonna keep running into things like this with every vehicle you own. Either get good at pulling wrenches and suck up the unexpected...or get used to big car payments.

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

BINGO!!!!! Nail squarely on the head right there.

Take this man's advice, tecton.

Or don't, and I'll give you $500 for your K5. /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

6. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

I've definately been there and I know it seems like it'll never be fixed (and it probably won't) especially when you're on a small budget and it *is* your only DD to wherever you need to go. Sounds like you may need to start with something a little more fresh but at least stick with a GM.