Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K5 Is Gutless

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jacob_coulter, Jun 28, 2005.

1. jacob_coulter

jacob_coulter Registered Member

My friend and I are working on a '78 k5 blazer, and it's in great shape, with a rebuilt 350, and the 10,000 pound GCW "Trailering Special" option. The problem is, the car is an absolute dog. The car has trouble getting to 60 mph, and exceeding that speed is nearly impossible. The tires are 33 x 12.50 15 LT. The car idles and starts great, it just doesn't have much grunt.. The engine has a stock GM dual plane manifold (No EGR) with a stock quadrajet with a dual exhaust, no Cats. According to the build plate, the car has 3.73 gears.

I wanted to do some light performance mods, and wanted to see what you guys thought of this:

Hooker k5 headers
    Edelbrock performer RPM intake manifold
    1" Carb Spacer
    Advance curve kit

I also wanted to step up the stock quadrajet with some richer metering rods/jets. Should I go up, say 2 sizes? Is there a size you guys would recommend?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I love this vehicle, but it's almost hard to drive in normal traffic. I'm not looking for a hot rod, just some decent power.

Thanks for your time,

Jacob

2. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

the ign. recurve kit might help. have you checked the timing or done a basic tuneup? if the timing isnt advancing properly you'll be losing quite a bit of power. i wouldnt go switching jets unless you know the fuel mixture is off.

make sure the accelerater pump and secondaries are functioning properly. i've had both of these problems before and makes a world of difference when they're fixed. Qjet's are kinda tricky, might be a good idea to let a pro take a look at it.

new manifold would help some too, but i'd get a regular performer manifold, not the RPM. you want torque, not high rpm horsepower. you should be able to make decent power(torque) with the stock manifolds, but headers woundnt hurt.

3. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

From my experience, the 1" spacer won't do anything for you, and the RPM series intakes are for higher-rpm (4500rpms+) performance. The intake is a good idea but look for something milder than the RPM series - like the regular Performer. headers are a good idea too.

How's the condition of the ignition system? Maybe do a tuneup?

4. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

Like MTMike said, don't mess with the carb spacer. It just changes the power band characteristics, doesn't add power.

You need to do the metering rod changes in stages, not one big jump.

If you after acceleration off the line, get a higher stall converter.

Is the tranny kicking down properly?

Before spending a lot of money, you may want to do a compressoin test or have one done if you don't have the tools. Maybe you need a rebuild.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

"Gutless" is a relative term. :) If you can't get up to 60, then yes, you likely have a real (or multiple) problems.

If it is truly lacking power it should have, then look towards things like the ignition system, rear axle, exhaust, etc.

A truck that old cannot be relied upon to currently have the axle ratio that it was built with.

A stock truck has no problem running up to 60MPH, need to figure out what is wrong with yours instead of putting $$ into things that WILL help to free up some power, but won't do anything to solve the existing problem.

6. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

try doin a tune up, plugs, wires, cap and rotor.....

7. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Im with everyone else on this one. The 350 in your blazer should turn those tires with no problem. Something else is the problem here. First, put a timing light on it and check the timing. Then check the cap, rotor, plugs, wires, etc. Then check the fuel filter, fuel pump, and carb to make sure they are all in correct working order. Then check the compression. Then check the gear ratio in the rearend. Like someone said before, in a truck that is that old, you can never tell what gears are in it until you check. Are you sure its a 350? The 350 shares the same block with the 305 and its sometimes hard to tell the difference. Im asking because I know for a fact that even a stock 350 can have plenty enough power. My brother has a 79, and when he first got it, the engine was worn out, it had 35's, and 3.08 gears and the truck had no problem moving to 60. I have an 87 with 37's and 4.56 gears, and it has plenty of power. Something is definitely wrong with your blazer. I suggest checking everything that you can possibly think of to find out what it is. Buying headers, an intake, and putting some new heads on are great ways to give you more power. But you need to get it producing its power at 100% before you try to cover it up with these mods. Just my $.02.
    -Harrison

8. Cliffy472

Cliffy472 Newbie

Sorry Spam Removed....I know better...:(

Last edited: Jun 29, 2005
  9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

blocked exhaust??

Checked the cataliytic converter to see if its clogged??--some Y pipes have been known to collapse internally where they are double walled,choking the exhaust flow...this is a big cause of power loss,along with all the usual tune up and carb possibilities..you need to have plenty of air going IN too--hows the air filter?? :crazy:

10. anjieandjohn

anjieandjohn Registered Member

Sounds like something is amiss in the motor. Even with a fouled cylinder, I was still able to get moving and moving along pretty good. Gas mileage sucked and had the wonderful aroma of fuel when I stopped, ride spitted and sputtered but once she was above 70 or so, it smoothed out. If you are relying on the speedo, make sure it is not wrong as you have bigger tires and it will cause the error if it isnt compensated for.

11. moturbopar

moturbopar 1/2 ton status

There is something wrong for sure! my dads 70 blazer with a stock 307 would pull his beast around without any problems. Your 350 should pull your blazer around just fine. First off is it bogging, missing or just no power? have you checked the plugs to see if they are rich or lean? since you have dual exhaust you might need to rejet, might be a little lean now. Is the distributor the original one, whats it from? A revurve would probably help. Have you replaced the fuel filter, checked to make sure no fuel line are bent? Clean air filter? How about the exhaust is the muffler(s) plugged, any of the pipes kinked?
    I would find out why it has no power befor I spend any money on performance parts! When you do get to modifications, I would start with headers, and rejet. The stock manifold should be fine till you get to 250hp or start messing with cams the stock intake should have more torque below 2500rpm than the aftermarket intakes. After this I would run the performer RPM Q-jet (I have found the rpm is just as strong as the performer in lower rpms and pull harder in upper rpms) I have not tried the brand new performer but looks like it might be a good choice. When changing the intake this would be a good time for a cam swap also.
    Good luck
    Shawn

12. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

nice spam..... :(

13. 4trolls

4trolls 1/2 ton status

my truck lacked power ,and it was the muffler pushing against the e-brake cable so check everything

14. Dunc03

Dunc03 1/2 ton status

i have a 86 that once had a weak 305 and 33's with 3.42 in the rear and it will still go over 90, granted it took 5 miles to get there, it ould still go. check the timing, plugs, and plug wires first off. IF you have a fried wire that is misfiring its hard to tell at idle on a stock motor, but it will kill performance. I had it happen to me once and after I took it to a mechanic i felt like a retard for not checking the them myself.