Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

:(.... K5 is sick.... help please!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Capman2k, Aug 6, 2001.

1. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Alright... here's a long story made short:

packed up mom and dad and an ice chest in the 79 K5 Saturday morning for a two hour trip to sister's house. Made it a half hour down, met my brother, let mom out to buy some green beans at a roadside vegetable stand. When she was done, dad went with brother, mom came with me. We made it a block to a stop sign where I stalled, no big deal. Make it halfway through the intersection where it stalled again. Coasted as far out of the way as possible and called my brother on the CB.

We can't figure out what is going on with it and running out of time quick with the truck not starting. So we all pack into his Ford Taurus with the most uncomfortable seats ever made for the long bumpy trip to Sterling. We went back to my truck at about 10:30 pm, 12 hours after it died. After a little bribery and almost giving up, it fired up and I took it 25 miles to Greeley to stay with my brother. The trip was pretty jerky and it was real slow.

The next day (Sunday), I wanted to cruise around Greeley, so I took the K5. It started up just like normal, I took it to my friend's house and picked him up, and it was off to Wal Mart for a snow cone (!!!). After a short while, it got jerky again, but I was determined to get a snow cone even if I had to walk. After finishing my lovely snow cone, we pile back into the truck and start it up. It fired right up as normal, but as I was putting a CD in it stalled and wouldn't start. I tried starting it once every half hour for the next four hours and it finally started. So we pull out of Wal Mart, taking the back roads home to avoid traffic. Hit a red light, and when it turns green, I pull out into the intersection and turn. As I turn, it stalls again, so I pull it into a dirt lot (where it looked really cool, btw) and try to start it. We were stuck there for another two hours, ran the battery just about dry trying to start it, and decided to walk the two miles to my brother's house.

At 10 pm, we went and it started eventually again. This time it was really loud and when I put it in park it jerked forward, overpowering the brakes. Carefully, I drove it back while it did the same thing as the night before, but worse.

This morning, it started right up agian, but was slow to respond right from the start. after about 25 miles of my 52 mile trip back, it got really jerky. I slowed down a bit so it didn't have to work so hard, and it gradually got worse until I was only able to go 50 up a small hill and had up to two second periods of unpowered movement every few seconds while I backfired. I made it home, stalled as I was parking, and stalled right before I put it in park.

I'm going to take it to a mechanic and have them check it out, but does anyone have any ideas, preferably free?

79 K5 Blazer Cheyenne.... That's all I have to say about that.

2. 1986Blazer

1986Blazer 1/2 ton status

My money is on the mechanical fuel pump. A defective fuel pump has problems pumping a cool flow of gas from the pump, up the front of a hot engine, and into the carb. While the engine was running it was able to keep liquid gas in the line from the pump to the carb but once you stopped the engine at the bean stand, and mom got out, the fuel got hot and vaporized in the fuel line. From this point the engine wont start until you can get liquid fuel into the engine, usually after the engine has cooled for a few hours. I will almost bet the farm on this one. Regardless, let us know the final solution. Each problem that is posted helps someone else out!

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html>http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/KeyWestK5.html</a>
    So I says to him, I said, "get your own monkey."
    1986 K5, 350 GM Crate, 700R4, NP208

3. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Sounds like the fuel system - Pump, filters etc....

Dave

Saw It... Wanted It... Had A Fit... Got It
    91 K5 - in the process of 4" lift with D60/14FF plus LOTS of extras. ETF August 1.

4. Nrose07

Nrose07 1/2 ton status

Start with the basics, fuel filter, plugs, wires, cap, rotor. Hard to do much with out that but I'd look at that fuel filter first for sure.

Displacement, cubes, and did you say you drive a riceburner???

5. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

I live in Cheyenne. PM me and I will give you my #. You can even use my garage if you want. My money is on the fuel pump.

Real four wheelers don't need tools to remove body panels, paint, tail lights..etc.
    P.S. Ask me why it is called "BODY SNATCHER"

6. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I concur - Fuel pump time!

Friggin Silt![​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

7. ArrowheadK5

ArrowheadK5 1/2 ton status

my 87 k5 did this exact thing today, in 95 F heat in Norhtern MN. Stalled @ stoplights, finally had to have a wrecker come (thanx, AAA) to tow it to garage. Also had problems like this (vapor-lock) wiht a ford :( van in Yellowstone park (high alt., temp.). Apparently fords are notorious for this...
    Best of luck, if you have any success I'd love to hear about it!

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one's life span.

8. klier

klier Registered Member

Hey, nice to see another Minnesotan on here! Bout where are you from in Northern MN?

Brian Klier
    '74 Jimmy/'86 Blazer Hybrid
    <a target="_blank" href=http://kliernetwork.net/truckproject>http://kliernetwork.net/truckproject</a>

9. CCRider

CCRider 1/2 ton status

I'd bet on the fuel filter!! or possibly the fuel pump or lastly , the sock screen on the pickup tube in the fuel tank!! I've personally had ALL these happen to me! CC

1991 Fullsize 5 1/2"lift, 37"ssr's,10Bolt8 lug , 14Bolt ff, 4:56 Detroit rear, 12"fr. 14"r Bilstein remote res.350 P.F.I , 700r4 , 241c W/ sye

10. ironmikek5

ironmikek5 1/2 ton status

I had the same symptoms, and replaced the fule pump (oozed black goo when pulled off) and fuel filter (looked like a balled-up tissue) and it started and ran like a charm.

Damn, those beans will get you every time!

<font color=red>"Oil? That's not my oil...that was there before" </font color=red>[​IMG]

11. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Same thing happened to me once and the fuel pump was the culprit but it may also be the igintion module, it may have grounded to the distributor body and killed itself.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.k5.rockcrawler.com>Click here to see my K5</a>
    *<font color=red>under construction</font color=red>*

12. ArrowheadK5

ArrowheadK5 1/2 ton status

I am in the boonies 15 mi north of Duluth. How bout you?

Time spent fishing is not deducted from one's life span.

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

definitely sounds fuel related.

I had a fuel pump die on me (just one) and it only worked for one day after showing symptoms (three stalling episodes) before finally giving up, and not starting again. Dads truck had same stalling/then dead for 15 minutes problem, turned out to be a bad fuel pressure regulator (sure seemed like vapor lock though, fine on the freeway, pull off, you could hear it start to stall, and if you came to a stop, you were done for about 15 minutes until it cooled off)

BUT when it won't start, pull a couple of plugs, and check for spark. It can't hurt, and its a hell of a lot easier than changing the fuel pump.

If you are getting spark, pull the "batt" wire off the dist., and disconnect the fuel line at the carb. Crank it over, and check for fuel (a hose fromt eh end of the line into a can/bucket, whatever will be a good idea) If you are getting fuel flow, check the carb filter. Could even be float level, or a bad float.

Basically though, check the easy stuff first, and don't throw money at the problem until you know what it is of course!

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

14. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

alright. We changed the fuel filter and it ran just fine. It was leaking a bit so we tightened it, and put a little fold in the fuel line, and now it doesn't even run. so now I'm trying to remove the fuel line from the pump so I can put a new one on. *sigh*

79 K5 Blazer Cheyenne.... That's all I have to say about that.

15. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

BTW always use a good quality (craftsman or better) flair fitting wrench when working on flaired lines. Buying the right tools the first time costs less than the parts that WILL be runed by the wrong tool. Ask me how I know.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust

16. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

How little is the "fold"? Is it something like bending a garden hose in half, or is it just a small crimp, like you see on the non-mandrel bent exhaust tubing? If its not like a pinched off garden hose, at idle, you should still get more than enough fuel to the carb. Check for fuel now that it won't run again, and see if any is coming out. Again, only if the line will allow some fuel to flow.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen