Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K5 newbie needs help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dodgedude99, Jul 27, 2003.

1. dodgedude99

dodgedude99 1/2 ton status

i had just bought a 1988 K5 silverado yesterday for $700.
    being im new to the chevy trucks (i also have a lifted dodge). if i put bigger tires on or change the gear ratio or both how do i correct the speedo?
    also does anyone now of any online places to get interior pieces? the body on this thing is in really good shape but the interior is just sorta trashed.
    also it has a 4" Skyjacker lift, but it seems like it leans to the right. is that just a K5 thing (my ram and most everyone else i know that has one leans to the left)?
    thanks for any and all help.
    shawn

2. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

3. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

www.LMCTruck.com /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif This place has EVERYTHING out there that you could need for your K5. Enjoy!

-Dan

4. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

There's several posts on body sag just try a search. You might look at the spring itself and body mounts just for starters. For parts, interior and exterior, try these sites. The first two will send you a free catalog but the last one is the only one that carries the rear interior sidepanels. Try doing a search on the speedo, I'm sure it has been covered. Yours is mechanical though, only the 90's and 91's are electric.
    www.chevyduty.com
    www.lmctruck.com
    www.classicindustries.com

Good luck and welcome to K5's, you won't even miss that Dodge. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

You change the speedo gear in the transfer case. Real easy to do. Do a search for "speedometer gear" and you will have a thread pop up that has a guide to all the speedo gears in it.

6. dodgedude99

thanks guys!
    a couple of the dudes over at pavement sucks recommended you all.
    im not going to have to miss my dodge, i still have it.
    i started doing that as a show truck, an driving it daily.
    well thats to hard to do both, and its getting to the point that i have to much $ to drive it every day.
    so i got a 1988 k5 with a decent body. it needs 2 doors and a tailgate, a rocker (which was included) and some small patching of the floor. the thing runs great for having 133,000 miles. it already has a 4" lift with rs9000 shocks(the ones with the adjusting knobs on them), so having a trashed interior is no big deal, especially for $700.

7. dodgedude99

Body Sag Question

i searched for previous body sag post and what i had gotten was the bed floor and tail pan was rusted away, that isnt the case on mine. my bed floor and tail pan are new. would bad body bushing cause the lean?

8. Blazn88

Blazn88 Registered Member

Re: Body Sag Question

/forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif..Take a little time and fill out your profile /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif and welcome to CK5 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

9. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i searched for previous body sag post and what i had gotten was the bed floor and tail pan was rusted away, that isnt the case on mine. my bed floor and tail pan are new. would bad body bushing cause the lean?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well you can check those but I would start by ..

1.Parking it on a level area and then measuring from the ground to the frame by the front spring mounts...That will give you a ballpark on how much it is off..
    2.Then take a measurement from the top of the frame to the top of the u-bolt plate (same place on each side) that will tell you if maybe the spring itself is sagging more then the other one....

If they are the same then I would check the (not being a smart ass but the tire pressure) then the spring bushings, then thebody mounts last /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

yes welcome to CK5. This is the place for info on a Chevy period. Huge list of threads and a great library