Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

k5 newvie help!!!!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 74k5inVA, Dec 13, 2001.

1. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

I just traded in my s10 pickup and bought a 74 k5, all original except for a 4" ranco lift and 33" tires. i put 35" BFG's on them because i got em cheap. the truck needs alot of work, mechanically and visually. where could i get the most bang for my buck. after i put in another clutch. this is a must and soon
    thanks

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

well most bang for the buck? what are you wanting to do lockers, motor work, body and paint, suspension? you need to tell us what you are wanting to do with it

wheeling videoshttp://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333

3. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

well, it needs alot of work. eventually i want to replace the entire interior (seats, dash, line-x etc) and do body work. but first i think i should get it running good. so i need to do engine work, suspension, drivetrain, ladder bars, etc. i just don't know where i should start

4. kpanza

kpanza 1/2 ton status

I would probably start with the motor if you plan on driving it everyday. That will give you the most "bang for your buck" until you get more into the offroading part of it. If you are looking for pure offroad bang for the buck, do lockers and gears first!!

I would say get the thing "fun to drive" first, then start on all the other things...

5. rusty79

rusty79 1/2 ton status

where are you located at in Va i could point you at a few good places to pick up parts if your close to me im near virginia beach in york county

Rusting away in VA
    Hey it almost runs!

6. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I started with anything that would ensure that the truck was safe. I started with brakes, then went to steering, then essential suspension, tires and alignment, then essential engine (including tune up, hoses and belts, radiator, essential exhaust and emissions, battery and engine electrical), then essential body or chassis electrical - headlights, tail lights, signals brake lights, anything that would get you pulled over. After that I went to interior electrical for stock stuff only.

After all that, the truck will at least be road worthy and you won't get pulled over and you'll pass smog (if you need to).

Then you get to play and do the fun stuff. [​IMG]

7. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

i'm in virginia beach. and like to go to carolla to the sand dunes, any where else to go that's a little closer?

8. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i would start with motor first get it running good then next do the drivetrain fixing the drivetrain first is no good if it dont run good[​IMG] also ladder bars dont work well on a 4x4

wheeling videoshttp://community.webshots.com/user/ssmith6333

9. rusty79

rusty79 1/2 ton status

i know of a few trails here and there most out near williamsburg ive got a friend witha heep that found them im just now starting to get back into 4wheeling but im still searching for some more trails i know a really good machine shop out your way too i had them build the motor that will hopefully go in this weekend

Rusting away in VA
    Hey it almost runs!

10. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

first off if it doesn't have setbelts with a shoulder strap, get one, you can get new belts at salesco.com i got some and they work every well you can attach the shoulder end and the collector part of the seatbelt to the stock roll bar. as for an engine i would go with a GM crate motor they are a little $ but offer a great warrente.

11. rusty79

rusty79 1/2 ton status

i dunno i got my motor for way less than a gm crate and have considerably more torque had it built locally 1400$

Rusting away in VA
    Hey it almost runs!

12. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

ya but ya gotta make sure it is a good shop! i had my motor replaced by a shop i knew nothing about (my own falt) and they shut down 2 weeks after they gave it back to me, so i had a new motor with a 18 month warr. that wasn't worth SH$t, and to top it off the harmonic balancer broke off the crank and distroyed the crank after 7 months and i was outta luck. ya live ya learn.

13. rusty79

rusty79 1/2 ton status

true i lucked upon one the has been open for about 30 years they do machine work for dealerships and wrecking yards

Rusting away in VA
    Hey it almost runs!

14. BASSMAN

BASSMAN Registered Member

TO THE VA BOYS, THE BASSMAN LIVES ON THE HAMPTON N.N. LINE I'LL KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR YOU GUYS LETS GET TOGATHER OVER A COLD DRINK SOMETIME AND SWAP A FEW LIES.

15. rusty79

rusty79 1/2 ton status

sounds like a good deal to me id like to see some other trucks maybe even ride in one. never ridden in mine kinda sucks but hey one of these days itll be legal

Rusting away in VA
    Hey it almost runs!

16. rusty79

rusty79 1/2 ton status

sounds like a good deal to me id like to see some other trucks maybe even ride in one. never ridden in mine kinda sucks but hey one of these days itll be legal do either of you guys use ICQ?

Rusting away in VA
    Hey it almost runs!

17. BASSMAN

NOT ANYMORE I HAVE IN THE PAST BUT CLOSED IT OUT

18. rusty79

rusty79 1/2 ton status

oh well just trying to figure out an easy point of contact i dont mind exchangeing phone numbers but not everybody is up for that

Rusting away in VA
    Hey it almost runs!

19. BASSMAN

SORRY I HAD TO JUMP OFF IN A HURRY, MY EMAIL IS IN THE PROFILE, HAPPY TO EXCHANGE NUMBERS

20. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Bassman guit yelling, my ears hurt[​IMG]
    White Knight