Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K5 on Discovery Ch "Out of Control" last night

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Eric W, Mar 11, 2005.

1. Eric W

Eric W Registered Member

...did anybody see the "Out of Control" special last night on Discovery? There was one when a K5 was driving up a rather large rock (like 100 feet up) in Moab and on the way down, it losts its brakes , went off the side and flipped over- all caught on tape. It looked like a 75ish K5 because of the headlights and full top. The investigation determined the master cylinder had failed, thus causing the truck to loose its brakes. Then I think the extreme angle stalled the motor, so the driver lost power steering. Damn GM master cylinders! That has got to be the most scary feeling loosing control of a vehicle going straight down. :eek:

2. readymix

readymix 3/4 ton status

That was Lions Back if i am thinking of the same thing. It has been on TV a few times.
    Sure would scare the crap out of me.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

old video. Its been on lots of shows. No idea what happened, someone here has to know the name of that obstacle.

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

It was Lions Back in Moab as Readymix said. From what I remember, a guys wife was driving the K5 and on their way back down, then brakes went out...
    I would filled my pants! :D

5. ZooMad75

ZooMad75 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

They were coming down the lions back in Moab. That video has been played on Maximum Extreme on spike and Real TV too. IIRC a chick was driving the K5 when it went out of control. I don't think they had any serious injuries though.

Not much anybody could have done in that situation except ride it out. They did get lucky.

6. bigyellowjimmy

bigyellowjimmy 1/2 ton status

If its the roll Im thinking about I heard the girlfriend was driving, the engine stalled and she "lost" her brakes because they were power brakes and panicked. Even if the engine died AND the MC failed you should still be able to use the e brake and steer it with no P/S to control it a little better....That was one hellacious roll

7. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Yep....."Lions Back" in Moab

What I liked about that show last night is that they acutally interviewed the guy and his wife, and got first-hand accounts of what they did and what went wrong. I've heard so many interpretations of that crash I wasn't sure I'd ever know the "real" story. It was amazing that they also had two seperate camera angles of the crash.....something I hadn't seen before.

Anyone have the ability to record that section of the show, create an .MPG clip and post it? I'd like a digital copy for my files....

I'm sure the show will be on a bunch more times, so I should at least get in onto VHS.

8. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yeah, on the other side of the ridge is the body of a Toyota that went for a bad ride. The occupants in that case were not as lucky :(

9. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

10. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Yup, that's the one. Greg and no tortilla?? Musta got hungry and ate it on the hike....

:D

11. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

WOW!! that was some ride...and some sudden stop! Even if she kept it on the line it doesn't look like there was anywhere much to go at the bottom. truely scary stuff.

12. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

As for the age of the "lionsback K5" wreck... I can remember seeing that video for the first time somewhere around 1992.. so yeah, it's been around a while. I've seen both angles of video... talk about some pucker factors... if that won't wake you up, nothing will. :crazy:

I have never heard of, or seen the toyota's wreck/wreckage. Looks pretty nasty.. I'm afraid to ask what happend to the passengers. :( I'm guessing that the crack it's laying brought that sucker to a brutal stop...

13. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

And here is a view from the top going down..that is me and the pic was taken by Tori

[​IMG]

Yu can see Greg72's big Blazer way down at the bottom...don't look so big from up there....was a good rush going up and turning around then back down...:D

14. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Pop A top again.....

I saw that footage about a year ago---SCARY stuff!--did you see how quickly the fiberglass top came off and broke up??--I'd say that footage would be a great commercial for a roll bar or cage company to use!!

I think the girl driving that K5 did a good job of keeping it from going over the edge!!--I dont think I could have done any better!:blush:

That toyota looks like its not going anywhere soon!--tell me,did someone hike all the way up to it,and steal the rims and tires???:confused: --looks like a lot of work for tires and rims that were probably trashed anyway!:crazy:

15. Eric W

Eric W Registered Member

You guys are so lucky you got beautiful places like that to wheel at though. We dont have anything that even closely compares around here. :(

16. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yeah.....real bad day for the people in that one.

They have the photos of the air rescue chopper that pulled them out at the little base station where you pay to get in to Lion's Back. Real disturbing to see when you are deciding whether to drive up the obstacle or not!!! :crazy:

17. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Wow... I dont think you'd ever catch me up there! My fingers are tingling and my hands are sweating just looking at those photos!

18. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

hahaha funny you say that cuz when I got back down to planet earth, after going up it and back down, I litterally jumped out of my K5 and said they should change the name from Lion's Back to The Sweaty Palm hahahaha, If your rig is in sound condition it is really not a hard trail to take. Just the fact if you turn right or left your DEAD. But our rigs didn't even skip a beat going up and back down so my K5 was like "YAWN, can we go wheelin now?" hahahahaa

19. 85scottsdale

85scottsdale 1/2 ton status

I saw those pics awhile back and that will definently make you think twice before riding up! I think it would be good to have spotters at the top and bottom to make sure one guy isn't coming and one going down, thats what happened in that toyotas case and he lifted the front and over he went.