Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

k5 or burb for a wheeler?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by DesertDueler, Jan 24, 2003.

1. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

I am trying to decide on a wheeler. Its going to e either a k5 or a burb. I havent really wheeled with my burb since its a daily driver, but I use to wheel the crap out of my Jimmy, well until I rolled it 6 times. Help my decide. I need a daily driver, and a wheeler. BTW how well would a burb pull a burb if thats the route I go?

Dan

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Depends on the type of wheeling you want to do I guess. I would think a k5 but if your doing mud and sand, Maybe a burb would be better.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> If you're building a dedicated wheeler than a K5 is clearly the right way to go just from a wheelbase standpoint. That is, unless you want to take a whole soccer team with you. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif A SWB pickup is a good choice too, and a bit less expensive than a K5, generally.</font color>

4. DesertDueler

Well I will mostly do rocks since thats whats out here in AZ, but will go to Glamis for thanksgiving, and new years. I know the blazer has a better wheelbase also. I just am trying to decide on buying another burb for a driver and keep my burb as a wheeler, or fix my burb up and drive it and buy a blazer.

Dan /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

5. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

well really unless it's gonna be used in tight trails a k5 doesn't have a whole lot of an advantage over a sub. except for the rear drive line being more vulnerable. and like what was already mentioned, mud and sand, i'd go suburban. of course maybe i'm biased. hehehe! i really love k5s and plan on having one but i could never ditch my sub.

and yes a swb pickup would be awesome you could bob the rear if you wanted to, flat bed it ect... i plan on having one of those one day too! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

6. SickboySS

SickboySS 1/2 ton status

you stole my thought muddysub, hahaha....

for rock crawling - swb pickup with a flatbed and a cage....who knows, mabey full custom convertable w/removable steel top? hehe

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> OK, I agree that for mud and sand wheelbase doesn't matter, but for a vehicle that doesn't require the sheer storage capacity of a Burb, why carry around the added weight? I mean, a Blazer or a pickup would do everything that a Burb can do and alot more, except for the ability to haul a whole lot of stuff and keep it dry. If the wheelbase is a non-issue, I'd rather get a 1 ton pickup for about the same price as a Burb and start off with all the right equipment. Bob the 1 ton and you've got a great setup for everything except for anything that doesn't require a short wheelbase.

For a pure wheeler, I think a SWB pickup is ideal. Lower center of gravity than a K5, less weight, less stuff to go wrong (rear window motor) plenty of storage for the essentials on the trail, and if you really need the shorter wheelbas it's fairly easy to shorten it.</font color>

8. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

If you get a burb for crawling, example Moab, there will DEFEINITELY be spots where the butt end is going to hurt you. You'll need to compensate in more lift to clear things. Also, extra weight means more of a chance to break things. Does your daily driving REQUIRE the size of a burb? If not, go with the smaller thing. My burb kicks ass, but most of the time, it's just me in there, and I wouldn't mind having a K5 for those times.

9. ZonkRat

ZonkRat 1/2 ton status

I'd make the sub a tow , camp vehicle.First wheeler,72 K5,402,465 35 Gumbos for 900$.Got crashed in 87,bought 88SWB and wheeled the wee out of it since.Over 450,000 miles on 88 SWB,SFA HiPin D60,ton rear,6in lift,original engine{only timingchain and reg maint}gertrag 5spd and going for a million.Want 203 dblr and bob rear overhang. Wheele'em HARD Have FUN. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gifer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. DesertDueler

Well the reason I was thinking another Burb is because my burb has gotten pretty tore up playing in the desert and going camping. No dents in it yet, but real bad scrates, the fenders need to be replaced, I cut the front and rear to fit 38.5s so it would take alot of work to fix the rear unless I use cutout flares. It also needs paint badly. So if I buy a clean burb for 4,000-5,000 I could keep mine and wheel with that. And no I dont need a burb for daily driving, but needed a tow vehicle for the race cars, so thats what the burb is for. Cant afford, and dont want a little car to drive.

11. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Ya just gotta bite the bullet and collect the whole set! I've got a K5, 2 Subs, and an S-Jimmy, all are 4WD. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif That way you always have something that's right for every situation. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

12. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

if you dont have any rust on it..i think ur makin a big deal out of nothin!! ill trade ya trucks lol!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. DesertDueler

Well I own a s-10 blazer that I got for 100 bucks. 89 with a 4.3L, auto 4x4. very minor rust. Runs great, but I am letting my sister drive it.

14. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I'm still trying to decide myself what I want to get for myself... My Explorer is too small (dang mid-size SUV's), but cool... But I want a real truck again... Something big... Like a Chevy /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'm kinda stuck right now between K5, Suburban, LWB Pickup, or Crew Cab. I had a K5 about a year and a half ago and enjoyed it a lot. I want something that can haul at least 3 people, maybe a dog, and stuff for camping. After seeing all the stuff that someone (forgot your name, sorry - brown 1st gen) going to BB02 was carrying in his K5, I think that might be sufficient. However, I like the 4 doors and added stuff room of a Suburban. Pickups would just seem more convenient because if I get a nice truck, I wouldn't want to mess up the carpet with firewood, or dog hair. Crew cab pickups are better just because they're more rare, and the three people wouldn't be on top of each other...

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif Plus all FOUR of them are Graemlins /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif

I gotta learn to count /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif