Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K5 owners with the rear "spoiler" or "roof rack"

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dyeager535, Sep 4, 2002.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

K5 owners with the rear \"spoiler\" or \"roof rack\"

I'm curious if any of you still have the RPO tag in your glovebox or on the fender, and if the spoiler shows up as an RPO code? (or perhaps as some external appearance package)

I looked in my '85/86 parts manual and didn't see the spoiler. I did the same research before with the external spare tire carrier, and figured out with the help of others on here, that it wasn't a stock option. (probably dealer add on) Actually, I lied. It WAS a factory option!! : ) http://brochures.slosh.com/cars/brochures/1976/blazer7.jpg Appears not to have been available in the 80's, along with the tach. '81 was last year I could find the tach listed.

Just looked at the dealer brochures online, the spoiler/rack was definitely an option in at least '81. (Rack dealer installed in '82)

I got hold of a top that was equipped with a spoiler, and I need to order the "riv nuts" that hold it to the topper.(qty 6) Guess I can try local dealer, but it depends who picks up the phone on how hard they will look. : (

I know I can get "well nuts" (I've seen two different attachment methods for spoilers) at a hardware store as well. Kind of curious now why it doesn't appear the spoiler was available all years....

2. GRINCH

GRINCH 1/2 ton status

Re: K5 owners with the rear \"spoiler\" or \"roof rack\"

Just looked on my rpo's and my 90 manuals. P13 is for the external spare tire carrrier. I have a 90 now and have owned a 91, no codes for the spoiler.

3. dyeager535

Wow...the external carrier is listed? Maybe Gm just stopped putting it in the manuals! Seemed like an awful lot running around not to be stock!

Thanks for checking.

4. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I just called my local dealer here and the guy new what I was asking for. I need the whole thing to retro onto my '74, but he says all the parts are still available and the do sell a mounting kit. The whole spoiler new is $133 with all hardware. If you need a starting point, call your dealer and tell them to look up part #994822. This is the complete kit. From there they should be able to find the mounting hardware kit pretty easily.

5. dyeager535

You already buy? *Shipped* that kit is like $88 from www.gmpartsdirect.com

Thanks for the kit number though, I'll ask and see if they can't find them for me! If not, off to Ace, I saw some rubber/brass well nuts : ) Still gotta get a new rear window seal though, and GM doesn't have them anymore apparently : (

6. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Junkyard $35 with all mounting hardware from the vehicle it came off of.....plus i coudl take measurements

7. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

You offering to sell it to me? There aren't any to be had from any parts yards around here.

8. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Nope, I didn't buy it. I was just checking to see if they were still available. Usually if it's availabel from the dealer, I can find it cheaper elsewhere. Also, I know that some of the larger nut and bolt places carry the hardware. There is place here called Vancouver nut & bolt. I know they have the stuff. If Ace doesn't have them, try one of your local construction and fab shop supply places.

9. dyeager535

The Suburban ones are exactly the same piece, and much more common FWIW.