Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K5 Pickup Conversion

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Burbs, May 24, 2006.

1. Burbs

Burbs Registered Member

Does anyone make a pickup conversion kit for the K5? Or does anyone have a good process for doing this? The body is shot on my blazer but everything else is in great shape. I have access to a few chevy truck cabs. Thanks

2. ftcjimmy

ftcjimmy Registered Member

Search it. Theres no kit, but all you need is a cab, either a totally custom or somewhat modified rear cab mount cross member, and some skill by ways of being able to shorten the bed, due to a difference in frame length.

3. Burbs

Burbs Registered Member

The reason why I ask is because I saw one in the classifieds. I wanted to see if anyone else has heard of one before. Thanks.

4. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

see pic in my sig.

truck cab and shortened bed on k5 frame and susp

5. muddermilitia

muddermilitia ThatTrazerGuy GMOTM Winner

I am pretty sure that a rear cab crossmember from a pickup will fit right in the blazer frame. blazer body mounts are on outside of frame, pick-up cab rear mounts are inside frame. I am doing this body swap this weekend and I will try to put up pictures as I do it.

6. thor

thor 1/2 ton status

Not quite, the 78 and up blazer frames are shaped quite different, in that area from a pick up, they taper wider and sit lower where the rear foot well is, The cross member will be about 2" too short to sit between the frame rails, and the frame will be 6" or so too low.

A 77 or earlier blazer has the right crossmember there in the right place.

What year is the Blazer you are using?

Last edited: May 25, 2006
  7. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I know for a fact that there was a company that made them at one time. there was a yellow K5 in a 1984 issue of Peterson's, (maybe the Oct) issue that had one. It was on a 74 I believe. I wish i still had all my old mags that went back into 1980 or so.. but a flood came along in 1998, and said i didn't need them anymore.. :rolleyes:

I've tried to recall the name if the company from memory, but can't (it works when it wants to ... gettin' older). There was a post about this a while back, and there may have even been some mention of a different company. You might search and see what you can find. I doubt anyone is making anything currently, but I'm sure some of the old ones from th e80's are still out there somewhere. It might be that you have found one. Could be worth a look see if it's local to you. :thumb:

8. lamberthkp

lamberthkp SITFU Premium Member

i want to say i found a pic on here a while back that had changed there blazer to a pickup but dont remember who it was.

9. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I think someone, maybe the same guy, posted a pic of one that had the half cab.. just not sure if it was a home brew, or a manufactured one.

10. muddermilitia

My blazer is an 89 I know the crossmember came from a mid 80's k-30 pickup and I believe that the cab I am using is 77-79 not sure what year, it has no VIN. Today I cut the back half of the body off took off one door and one fender. Tommarow I will have the rest off. I will put up some pictures this weekend.

11. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Here is what you are looking for ROSCOMMON EQUIPMENT CENTER did a report for Michigan DNR it even covers converting a CUCV electrical to 12 volts. It has all you need to make K5 a truck pics and measurements. REC, a cooperative program between the National Association of State Foresters and the Michigan Department of Natural Resources, develops and tests equipment for wildland fire control.

http://www.roscommonequipmentcenter.com/olrep.html

then go to project 62 it is a PDF document. I am glad I was able to help on this question.

toomany likes this.
  12. muddermilitia

WOW there is a ton of great information on that website!! Unfortunatly for me, The body on my blazer is so far gone(rotted out floors one rocker fell off, the other is about to fall off, the firewall has a crack in it) If the body wasn't in such bad condition I would definitly convert my truck like the one on that page you showed me. Thanks for the help though I will probably refer back to that page for future reference.

13. Metrodps

I know what you mean I bought a truck for parts out of the Chicago area and it was an 1989 that was swiss cheese body good thing fiberglass can't rust.....

14. Burbs

Burbs Registered Member

Thanks for looking the info up. I'm in the same boat as muddermilitia. The body on my blazer is rotten on the four rear body mounts and where the seat belts mount. Mudder let me know how yours goes.

15. muddermilitia

Hey here's the link to my build-up thread. This past weekend I got the old body off and I am now waiting for cab bushings to come from summit.
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=175060

16. Metrodps

Hey I just found this on ebay. Someone has a converted K5 half cab on for sale Item number: 4643784589 Looks like they did the ROSCOE thing but a little extra dress.

[​IMG]
    Lots more pics on ebay.

17. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

wow they did a nice job with it!

18. mogyptou

mogyptou Newbie

i dont know of any one who has dun it but could you take and cut the back of the k5 toper off and bolt it up to the back of the cab with a little fiber glass work? like take the orginal bolt holes and fiber glass them to the back wair the windo is?

19. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

The "Glasstite" truck cap company used to make half cab conversion kits for K5's--I came close to buying one for one of my first generation K5's...
    I had their sales brochures somewhere in my room,but haven't been able to find them--may have been tossed when our house got water in the basement years ago.....they dont make them any more,have not for a long time,but maybe you can find a used one somewhere..

20. Metrodps