Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K5 problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Trigger, May 5, 2003.

1. Trigger

Trigger Registered Member

I just bought a 1988 K5 for $500. There are 2 problems with it. The first problem is the idle, it idles way too high. You can actually hear the gas shooting into the engine from inside the truck. The second problem is the transmission TH700R4. When the tranny is cold you can put it in gear and drive it just fine. When I let it warm up and put it in gear it will move about 5' and die. I was told by a few people it might be the torque converter but I'm not 100% sure. I just don't want to pull it for no reason. Also there is no parking gear in it.

Much help would be appreciated.

2. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

For that low entry fee you can get a rebuilt carb and tranny!?!?!

Idle - start checking vaccum hoses
    gaskets, intake manifold and carb base
    idle adjusted too high

Tranny - the engine dies or the truck stops moving?

3. Trigger

I put it in gear, push on the gas and it dies.

I've checked all vaccum hose. There was a sticker by the radiator that said do not touch idle speed.

How much of a discount do you get with entry fee? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

4. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ahhh, entry into the world of Blazers my friend. Or should I say $Blazers$?? But they are worth it. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sounds like a massive vacum leak to me. Or just a very sick carb.

5. 83ZZ502_Jimmy

83ZZ502_Jimmy 1/2 ton status

He says its an 88. So its TBI. I'd check plugs, wires, cap, rotor. Could be the pick-up coil in the distributor itself. EGR could be bad... Is it throwing any codes?

John

6. Trigger

I'm going to hook it up tonight to see if there are any codes being thrown out and check all vaccum lines tonight.

Do you think it could be the tranny that's causing it to die?

7. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

My 88 idled very high when I first got it. Turned out to be the Throttle Body bushings were worn out and it was sticking so it couldn't close all the way. Pop the air cleaner off and rotate the throttle valve by hand open and closed to see if it's binding anywhere. I replaced mine with a high-flow unit from Turbo City and the problem went away. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. 83PJW

83PJW 1/2 ton status

problem #1 tranny 700r4 solved with a turbo 350! just a suggestion. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. sunshineoffroad

sunshineoffroad Registered Member

There is nothing wrong with a 700. All of the folks who replace theirs with a t350 either do not know how to adjust the TV cable properly, or have a bad transmission shop doing their work. I have one in mine with about 30K on it with 4.56 gears and 36" SX's. I trail ride mine, sand and also run it in the local mud drags. not to mention my 6 hour commute to school and all of my daily driving. Get a good quality rebuild, set the detent cable correclty, and enjoy a steeper 1st gear with the benefits of O.D.

10. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

What do you mean it moves a few feet and then dies? The engine stalls or the transmission goes into nuetral? It is possible that there is some simple problem with your truck that we can help you fix and some sucker was trying to get rid of it because they couldn't figure it out. If the guys here can't give you an answer, nobody can.

11. Trigger

You give it gas and it falls on it's face and dies. It stays in gear. The idle is god awful high. I just replaced the rotor, distrubuto cap, plugs and wires.

I bought it for $500 1988 K5, 350 SB, power windows, steering, locks, and brakes. New (5K miles) 33x12.50 Dunlop tires, the hubs were just rebuilt on it, new wiring harness, and new shocks. Do you think I got a good deal?
    It could use a paint job and some interior work.

Thought about just selling it when I bought but I've always wanted and finally came across one for a good price. As soon as I can I'll take a pic of so some of ya can see it.

12. bee32

bee32 1/2 ton status

Check your timing. Also check your vacume line coming off the carb going to the distributer. If it leaks than it will cause that to happen. Has to do with the vacume advance in the distr. Don't sell it yet. It sounds like a solid ride and you can fix this probably for very little and end up with a good truck.

13. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

88 has vacuum advance?