Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K5 Questions for a Newbie

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Stoopalini, Oct 17, 2000.

1. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

I have been reading everything I can to learn all I can about my truck. I counted the bolts on the rear diff and it has 10. So what kind of differntial is this?

I'm looking at different mod's and such, and they all refer to the diff's as Dana this, and Dana that. I assume mine are factory, so are they Dana anything? --- please forgive my ignorance, but I'm trying

I have many other questions about my suspension, but I think I will wait until I take some digital pic's and post so you guys know what I'm talking about.

When I was looking for a truck, I wanted one like my old GMC Jimmy
    http://tomhoyles.homepage.com/hp/gear/photo/photoalbum.html?item=7.3
    It was a great truck with, what I thought, a heavy duty suspension.

When looking at trucks, I noticed that some had a single shock with a leaf spring at each front tire; while others had dual shocks with a leaf spring at each front tire.
    The one I ended up buying has the dual shocks. Does anyone know if this means anything? Does it mean it has a beafier suspension than the others? Does it tell me anything about the rest of the suspension?

Any info anyone can offer is greatly appreciated. Hopefully I can get some pics posted soon so you guys can help me figure out what kind of lift is on it.

Thanks,

Thomas.

-- '84 K5 Blazer --

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Hi and welcome!
    First the diff you have is a 10 bolt rear end. 8.5" ring gear. Probably a 10 bolt front too. I'm going to guess the truck is newer than '82 because the factory dual front shock option was'nt available until '82. This was available on the Silverado model I think.
    Although your diffs are Corporate 10 bolts they were made by Dana.
    Let us know what year it is, stock? lifted? 350 or 305? Auto or stick?

Rene

[​IMG]

3. BigBurban

BigBurban 1/2 ton status

This should help you with the differential identification...

http://www.coloradok5.com/axleguide.shtml

As far as the factory dual shock (if it is indeed factory), most people end up taking one off for ride quality and due to the fact the second shock tends to break mounts. Hope this helps.

<font color=red>~BigBurban</font color=red>
    http://www.geocities.com/crash607

4. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I'm not real sure about the Corporate 10-bolts being built by Dana. I talked with a Dana engineer and he said he had never heard about Dana building these. It also doesn't make sense, why would GM have Dana design a substantially different axle and start building it when Dana already had the design and manufacturing facility for the Dana 44 which is basically equal in strength???

5. Stoopalini

Well, it's an '84 and it is the Silverado model. I bought it about a week ago. The milage reads 126k miles. Here is what I found in the original owners manual in the glove box:

8-14-89 69,275 miles - replaced engine with 350, Blackjack headers p/n 5803, cam, blue racer wolverine p/n w6-1103, edlebrock performance manifold, holley 600 cfm 1850 4 barrell, TRW oil slot bearings, <font color=blue>can't really make this next part out, but it looks like ....</font color=blue> crowe molf pushrods, new hoses, belts, thermostat (180') & edlebrock valve covers.

So according to this, the 350 engine has less than 60k miles on it. It runs VERY strong.

It has a small lift on it, but I have no idea what or how big. Anyway to tell?

It has a 3 speed Automatic transmision.

Really? Take one shock off to improve ride? Hmmm, you would think that dual shocks would give a better ride than one.
    As far as breaking mounts, each shock has its own mount on the frame, I don't see how I run the risk of breaking a mount by having both there; of course, thats why I'm here, to find out things I don't already know [​IMG] ...

Thanks for the info so far. Any comments on the engine components? is this thing on its wat to becoming a "real" 4x4 machine? hehehe .....

thanx again,

Thomas.

-- '84 K5 Blazer --

6. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

For the dual shock thing, 1 good shock is usually more than enough. The main purpose of the shock is to simply control the movement of the spring. Often dual shocks supply to much force so instead of "controlling" the movement of the springs, they hinder the movement (the shocks require so much force to move that the springs also can't move) and results in a harsh ride. I would recommend simply removing the dual shocks and replacing them with a single, quality shock. The only real reason that you would need dual shocks is if you did a lot of "baja" type high speed driving, in which the dual shocks would dissipate the heat better.

7. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

GM Corp. 10 bolts were NOT made by Dana. Although the D44 is very similar to the front 10bolt. Anyways, are there lift blocks in the rear? If so, measure it and that is your lift.
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

8. tRustyK5

Oops[​IMG][​IMG]
    Time to fire my research assistant![​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

9. Stoopalini

na, no blocks in the rear. At least I don't see anything that I would consider to be a block.

At each end of the leaf spring there is a bracket that extends up to the shackle (I think you call it a shackle).

Man, I really need to get some pics taken with my digital camera and show you guys so you can help me figure this out.

Maybe It's just a factory lift? Is there such a thing?
    The only reason I think it has a small lift on it is because it sits higher than other blazers I see on the road.

Right now, I'm running 255-70-R15's and it still sits higher than the plane-jane blazers I see with 31"s

Next week I should finally be able to afford some 'real' tires [​IMG] (I'm thinking 33"x12.5") and see how high it sits then.

I was checking your "Boss" out and saw the pics you took during the shackle flip kit project. The pic's weren't clear enough on the shackles before the install for me to say it looks like mine though.

Oh well, maybe bt tomorrow I'll be able to get some pics up

Thanx

Thomas.

Oh, BTW: I'm told there are a few people here from Austin, TX! That's AWESOME! Maybe a few of you would like to go drink a few brews and shoot a little pool some day and I can pick your brains about my truck ...... do you guys meet on a regular basis?

-- '84 K5 Blazer --

10. Boss

11. Executioner

Executioner 1/2 ton status

Temp. Ft. Walton Beach Fl. home=Tucson, Az.
    You need to have the secret hand shake !
    Dana and GM
    Dana and Ford
    Dana and Mopar
    Dana and Rice

Next we will hear Dana built the New Process NPXp634o, and it's got a Full-time/part-time, front rear drive
    and a 6.73:1 and 4.0:1 and 1:1 and 1:0.66 . Face the FACTS.

12. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

Huh?????

13. Stoopalini

hey Boss, thanx for the link. [​IMG]

Yes, mine looks exactly like that. Does this mean that mine is stock? If so, I wonder why it seems so much taller than others I have seen ....? [​IMG]

I went out to ORD's site and they have 2 versions of the Flip Kit. a 4" and a 2 1/2". This has got to be the amount of lift it adds, right?

Ok, so If mine is stock, and I get the shackle flip kit like you did, what do I have to do to the front to make it the same height as the rear?

and hey Executioner, you feeling ok over there? [​IMG]

Tom.

-- '84 K5 Blazer --

14. Boss

Stoop,

That doesn't mean yours is stock, the previous owner could of put rear lift springs on it. If you only have 31" tires though, it just might be stock. What kind of shocks are on there? Anyways, yeah, on ORD's shackle flip, the 4" flip and the 2.5" flip gives you that much lift with your stock rear springs. If you go that route, you will have to get lift springs for the front (2.5" or 4" depending on how much lift you're going. If you go more than 4" lift, then for the rear get the 4" ORD flip and 2" lift springs, and the front get 6" lift springs and so on. Basically, if your truck is stock and you want to lift it....say 4", then you'll have to get new shocks at all 4 corners, 4" ORD flip rear, and 4" lift springs, new steering arm (recommended), might have to lower the transfercase a bit (I did, but lots of people didn't have to with only 4" lift), hmmm, what else, oh, recommended longer brake lines, but you dont' have to. Oh, and One more, you want heavy duty longer front shackles too. No kits or systems comes with this, so you'll have to get that seperate. ORD sells them and many other companies. I think that's it. 73 to 91' K5s are the easiest trucks to lift.
    Boss
    http://www.boss.coloradok5.com

[​IMG]

15. tRustyK5

Don't mind ol' Evecutioner, I think the cheese has slipped off the cracker again! [​IMG] Of course that cracker was also built by Dana!!

Rene

[​IMG]

16. sosamantx

sosamantx 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Man, another person here from Austin, Tx., kewl. And no I haven't gotten to meet any of them other Austinites. * uh huh* (clearing throat) Some people just won't call. There has got to be at least close to 10 of us CK5er's around here. Anyway, did I hear pool!! (light bulb going off, ears raising up) I think I have that in my profile somewhere. Where do you shoot? I live north, so I hang out at Click''s. Anyway give me a hollar. I'm always up for a brewsky, and a few games of pool. You like 9 ball? If not, 8 will work for me. Later - Steve:)[/blue}

<font color=blue>Steve Sosa a.k.a. "sosaman"</font color=blue>
    http://sosaman.home.texas.net/carpics.html

17. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

WOW[​IMG]! Another Austinite. Where do you live?? I live south, off of I-35. Oh yeah, my dual shocks ride like a jackass.

[​IMG]FUN WITH 31's![​IMG]

18. Stoopalini

Boss:

That is EXACTLY the type of info I'm looking for! Thanks!

How can I tell if the previous owner installed lift springs? and if he did, how do I determine the size of them?

are lift springs just extra leafs? or are they leaf springs that have more of a bow to them?

If I do have lift springs, and I go with the 2 1/2 shackle flip on the rear, I will need to know what size springs to buy for the front.
    So, for example, if the prev owner install 2 1/2" lift springs in the front and rear, and I add a 2 1/2" shackle flip kit to the rear, I'll need to replace the front springs with 5" lift springs .......right?

The truck had 31" tires on it before I bought it, but they were shot. So the previous owner put brand new 255-70-R15's on it. these are WAY too small, they don't even fill the wheel well. I'm real anxious to replace them with, hopefully, 33"s.

Yep, good 'ole Austin! I love to shoot pool. I just bought a house in Leander and have an 8' 3/4" slate pool table in my garage just waiting to be put together. Man, there's just not enough hours in a day!

9 ball is a great game. I play 8 too and straight pool is nice on occasion. I usually go to Buffallo Billiards down on 6th street, sometimes over to Slick Willies, they have free pool every Monday. I used to go to Clicks but haven't been there in a while. Now Sticks, that used to be the place! free pool as long as your drinking [​IMG] but I think they shut down.

Who else is from Austin?

-- '84 K5 Blazer --

19. rick87K5

rick87K5 Registered Member

Stoopalini,
    Another Austinite here. I visit this sight alot, but very rarely post anything (hence the "stranger" title). Time limitations don't allow much more than taking in all of the information posted by the others on this sight. Can't say I play much pool, although I've been to Slick Willie's and Click's. But, I am always up for a cold beer and Blazer talk.

Rick

20. tom

tom 1/2 ton status

If you need to know if your truck is stock height, park it on level ground and balance a 7 or 8 foot 2x4 on the top of the cab sticking out each side. Measure from the ground up to the bottom of the 2x4 on each side and average the two measurements. Then look up the height for your year in the specifications section of this website. If yours is higher than stock, then start checking to see if you have bigger tires, body lift, or suspension lift, or some combination.