Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K5 rear diff swap?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Ratau, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Ratau

Ratau Registered Member

I would like to replace my 1982 K5 diesel Blazer's rear end. Want to swap the GM 10 bolt for a GM 12 bolt, GM 14 bolt 9.5 inch semi floaters or GM 14 bolt 10.5 inch. If possible I would like to stick to the 6 stud 15" rims.

What options do I have.

Were I could find exploded views off these diff's.

It's hard to find spares in South Africa so one must buy first time right.
    Thanks for all the info on your web page it helps a lot.

Danie

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

To me it sounds like a 14SF is your easiest/best bet, IF you can find them.

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=135125&highlight=14sf+tech Hopefully there is some info in that post that will help you.

If you need additional strength, don't waste time with the 12 bolt. If it's stronger than the 10 bolt, it's only slightly more so, so if wanting to buy right the first time, for no future problems, it's not the way to go IMO.

14FF is going to be your strongest option, but then you start dealing with 8 to 6 lug adapters, etc. But they are more common than a 6 lug 14SF here, especially so in your location I'd expect.

3. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

In your case, an 8 lug 14FF would probably be easier to find over there. You will have to do a little welding to put it in. I don't know the export numbers, but I would assume 1 ton trucks would be more in demand in a place like Africa.

4. Ratau

Ratau Registered Member

Could you tell me where were the weak spots (parts) on the GM 10 bolt, what I understand is mainly the side shafts?
    My big worry is when the side shaft breaks the wheel falls off.

I mainly use the Blazer as a family car going on nature trails and scuba diving in Mozambique (lots off sand).

How successful was the full floater conversion from Warn for the 10 Bolt and are they still available?

Danie