Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K5=rescue Vehicle....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 87BrnRsd, Jul 11, 2006.

1. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Yeah...you gotta love it that heepers are always talking crap about chevy's...but whos the first person they call when they get stuck? Me...

Anyways..got a call tonight from a buddy who said they had 2 stuck vehicles about 5 minutes from my house. I get there and there was a newer jeep grand cherokee, a newer expedition. The expedition was going to pull out the stuck jeep, but got stuck in some pretty nasty mud while trying to get to the jeep. Down to the frame rails and buried the rear axle.

So they tell me they had 2 jeep wranglers (one looked like 4" maybe 33's, and one maybe 8" and 37's) hooked together trying to pull the stuck expedition out with no success. So I hook up. First pull is on the other guys strap. I give it about 10 feet of slack and nail it in 4lo (im locked front and rear on 37's) and it snaps the strap without even budging the expedition. So i hook up my 30,000lb strap up and start working. I gave it about 6 or 7 hard tugs before I realized the guy was in 2wd, and had his wheels turned. I was dragging him about a foot each time, but I was basically just dragging him through the mud not out of it since his wheels were cocked. I told him to gas it when i did and start turning the wheel. Gave him 2 more real hard tugs and the last one snatched him hard. He had the brakes on and I was still pulling him, dragging all 4 tires up a hill for about 30 feet.:haha:

So on to the next vehicle...the jeep. Now the hood of the jeep was under mud (not water) MUD!! The back tires were barely visible. Neither or the wranglers there could budge him at all either. I knew it would be easier than the expedition cause of the way he went in. He was in straight. The expedition was almost sideways to where I had to pull him out so I basically had to drag him out the whole way. Anyways, I told the guy I was gonna give it a light pull to test the waters. I backed up until the rope was taught and then gave it some gas in 4lo...I started spinning all 4 but saw that the jeep moved towards me about 1 foot before I started spinning. So I pulled forward about 10 feet, gave it one good yank, and he was free. We get out and see that when I yanked him, his front bumper was under the mud...and since I was pulling him out backwards...the mud (and my truck helped) yank his front bumper off, and break the mounts at the frame.:haha:

There were quite a few people there (all jeeps), and one hot girl in particular who im trying to get with, to witness my superiority over the heeps. After all that everyone was like "man...none of our jeeps even budged those trucks. Your blazer is badass man."

All in a days work for the old blaze. Sorry, I just had to share with someone.
    -Harrison

2. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

3. pin_it_to_win_it

pin_it_to_win_it Registered Member

I know the feeling when i got my licence all of my frends called me first. Even when i did not have a chevy (rolled it and had to drive a 'YOTA but at least it was 4x4) they called me and i called a CHEVY for back up. all my dads frends call him and all my sisters frends call her. We are a chevy family. :D

4. NoReGrEtS

NoReGrEtS 1/2 ton status

feel good to be king of the mud pit?

5. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

hahah yes i love that feeling.. quite funny, my bro and i are our towns recovery team..

6. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Brings back fond memories of shameing 1/2 tons with my 3/4 ton Cummins pulling motorhomes, etc in the sand on the beach.

Weight always wins.

7. AKbigsub

AKbigsub 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Why not call a properly equipped Chevy with a winch? A much better recovery technique than using a strap when rigs are stuck that bad. BUT, you had fun and may have impressed the hottie:bow:

8. DavidB

DavidB 1/2 ton status

Winch, schminch :D

9. gm500hprat

gm500hprat 1/2 ton status

I got one for ya. I got to pull out Robby Gordons Furd Trophy Truck with my k15 because he tried to take off while stopped half way up the middle of a gigantic bowl and burried the truck down to the frame paddles and all. I let them dig for a while before i pulled up and hooked up my tow rope, just because it was funny to watch someone trying to dig out a 38in paddle tire with their hands.He offered me a ride in his truck later on and told me where his camp was. This was long ago when Robby First started going and was driving the sponsor truck not his own, and glamis had way less people.

10. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Ya I have a winch and it is good for a techincal recovery but it is a lot more fun with a wiplash inducing tug of the ol snatch strap:D

Ira

11. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Agreed. It was a lot more fun for the crowd too.:D
    -Harrison

12. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

nice nice nice

chevy, the heartbeat of america

13. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

:D :bow: :usaflag: :k5:

14. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I dont know how many fights I've gotten into about how call me when you get your jeep stuck etc. The jeeps yell "just because you have a 350 you think you can get anything out" I then respond to them... well if you have taken basic physics corses you know that f=ma, and ma=ma the more mass you have the greater force can be applied. O well i'm up to 13 pulled out jeeps and 2 furds

15. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Thats cool man K5s are the perfect size to get poeple out. Unfortunately they are hard to get out when you get stuck. congrats on your success