Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K5 shuts off at an uphill or down hill angle

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by midnitlove, Jul 23, 2002.

1. midnitlove

midnitlove Registered Member

I don't know if this has been posted before but I have no idea what the problem is. Last weekend I went rock climbing for the first time and I start to climb at an angle on this trail and it stalled on me. Also when i'm going down hill over some pretty steep rocks it kept stalling on me. My buddies kept haggling me about getting fuel injection. Is there anything I can do to my carb to prevent this?

2. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

I believe it is because your carb is starving for fuel on steep acents and decents. I have heard good reviews on the new Edelbrock RPM Quadrajet carb. The reviews I read said it was the closest thing to having Fuel Injection.

3. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

man I must just be lucky... Mine never stalls *knokin on wood* on the hills..

Course ive only been mudding and One time @ Frank Reins hill climing... where I smoked my posi and a couple u joints and cracked my frame

Cant wait to go back there /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

On to your problem... Is your float operating properly? I would check my float or floats before I spent money on a new carb.

Im just cheap that way...

4. dr1553

dr1553 Registered Member

Heya,

Edelbrock makes an "Off-Road" kit for their carbs. Its listed in their catalog. It says that it keeps the carb from flooding during hill climbing.

It's says substitute the original stuff with Edelbrock #1465 spring loaded needle and seat.

Price...a whopping $12.95!

Later,
    David

5. midnitlove

Now theres the kind of answer I was looking for!!!! I'll check it out. Also check my floats. Maybe I need a rebuild or something? Thanks guys.

6. dr1553

dr1553 Registered Member

Heya,

It also says that you have to reset your floats to a different level. I'm sure it come with instructions on exactly what and how to do. So you will be checking your floats anyways! Bonus!

Later,
    David

7. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i have that kit in my edel carb.i have had no problems up or down or sideways on hills. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

8. sdredneck

sdredneck Registered Member

Your problem is angles. Unless you want to run in Florida there are off road Needles and seats available for the Edlebrock AFB (aluminum Four Barrel) carbs. These are spring loaded to prevent the flooding that you are experiencing. As far as the Edelbrock Quadrajet Replacement goes, I have one and you have to have a spread bore manifold. I have tried to use adapter plates but there is an equalizing port between the 2 primaries that will not be covered by the adapter (Both the edelbrock and the Mr. Gasket) The carb is a real good one but it is a whole lot cheaper for off road needles and seats. They are a cinch to install just make sure you buy another upper float bowl gasket since you have to pull it to change the seats.

John Rosen
    "Jeeps are overrated"

9. midnitlove

I got the needles and seats, they were cheap. Now I'll go thru the carb and see what I find. Thanks for the info!!