Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

k5 sounds like tractor

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DOUGHBOY, Nov 5, 2000.

1. DOUGHBOY

DOUGHBOY Registered Member

my 85 k5 (350/350/205)sounds like a tractor,as soon as i start to give it gas from idle.it sounds fine at idle just between i press the gas until about 5mph,if i stomp on the gas it sounds fine.it also sounds fine at any other speed.it doesnt seem to effect anything and didnt bother me till the f**d guy next door asked me if i had a john deer under the hood.

guns dont kill postal workers do.
    CENTRAL ILLINOIS

2. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

Is your exhaust gone? Do you have a leak at the collector or from the pipes? Is there a hole somewhere? Not like matters though, till Johnny Law gives you a stupid citation.

3. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

Like a tractor? Cool. What does it sound like? The clicking like a diesel, the low growling sound, or what??

Cruisin in my '73.

4. DOUGHBOY

i knew this was going to be to hard to explain.thats why i never asked it before.it only at the moment that i first hit the gas.no the exhaust is all new ,like i said it sound normal after that point(at any other speed)

CENTRAL ILLINOIS

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Are you geting a pinging/clattering sound? Maybe check that the mechanical advance mechanism in the distributor isn't stuck. This could cause your engine to be running too much advance.
    Just a thought.

Rene

[​IMG]

6. scavenger

scavenger 1/2 ton status

I had a similar problem on my 85. Turned out to be the metal tube that goes into the exhaust manifolds from the air pump. There will be 1 tube going into both the left and right exhaust manifold on the side towards the front. Mine rusted through giving a popping sound every time i gave her gas. If this is your problem you can try to repair/replace the tubes, or crimp the present ones shut if there is enough left to allow you to do this. Mine were rusted off right at the manifold so I augered a bolt into the hole....working so far. You could also braze over the holes.......hope this helps.

7. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

DOUGHBOY: I have that same problem...I don't think I can fix it in the near future...its not really a bad problem...YOU HAVE A DIESEL!!! :>

Plus I have "Private messaged" you a few times and I get no response?!?!? You say you are in central IL...I don't know of many others from central IL...wanna see who's sounds like a tractor more!?!?!!? My email is SK-15@home.com Drop me a line and I will see your tractor and raise you a semi!!

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    http://SK-15.coloradok5.com

8. DOUGHBOY

sk-15 i have responded to your messages,guess there not going thru,oh well sent you an email instead.hey i dont have a diesal,but it used to,anyway i went out there to see if i could more describe the sound and as luck would have it,it WILL not do it anymore hmmmm....crazy thing is its been doing it since i bought it(2 months approx.)oh well

CENTRAL ILLINOIS

9. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Thats a K5 for ya...just wait a few months and it will do it again for you. Plus I don't know if this is true..but if that K5 sat for awhile and then you started driving it I think they have another break in period where they get used to running again and figure out who their new owner is!! Plus theres that driver break in period where YOU learn to drive it!!

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    http://SK-15.coloradok5.com