Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K5 starter no clicky, battery good...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by aandpman, Jun 8, 2004.

1. aandpman

aandpman 1/2 ton status Premium Member

It's raining today in Austin and I just don't want to crawl under the K5 to t-shoot, so I thought I'd get some input on where to start looking..

88K5TBI /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif...Been driving the truck with no problems for several months now /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif. Suddenly Sat night I got in, inserted the key, twisted it, and the K5 wouldn't start.

/forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gifI have good battery power, no post corrosion, all the dash indicator lights come on like normal, but no cranky. No clicking heard, no dimming of the dash lights.

Sooo I whipped out the small ball peen hammer and gave the starter a couple of mild taps...got back in...and she cranked right up.

Same thing happened Monday Morning when I went out to go to work. Didn't bother to tap. Took the wifey's Town Car.

I'm suspecting the solenoid is going bad. Based on the symptoms I'd like some input from the other techies out there. Kinda like to zero in and not spend a lot of unnecessary cash right now so I want to get it right the first time.

ALSO - I installed a Summit Solenoid relocation kit on my OLD 85 K-10 and loved it. I've thought about doing it on the 88K5. Do I still need to have a good functioning solenoid on the starter for the relocation to work right?

/forums/images/graemlins/bow.gifAny input would be appreciated !

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Sounds like the starter. Just go over to VatoZone and git yerself a lifetime warranty starter and pick up some batt cables while your there...

3. monsterjim

monsterjim 1/2 ton status

Might try a taxi cab starter also, They are just heavy duty, with a steel nose and a lifetime warranty. Hod rodders use them alot cause they stand up to the header heat better. I got one for 80 bucks so they arent real expensive for the use you get out of them.