Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K5 Steering Problem

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by cvblazer, Apr 6, 2002.

1. cvblazer

cvblazer Registered Member

I have an 84' K5. I has wheeling it through a friends mud pit and hit something. When i started to drive home, I noticed that the steering wheel was upside down!! On further inspection I found that it also turned farther left than right. I took it to a shop and they diagnosed it as a stripped steering box. I fixed that, and nothing had changed. I dislocated my pitman arm and run some tests on the steering wheel in relation to the box and found that the problem must be below the pitman arm, and that the original box was not damaged at all. I took it to another shop, who spent nearly a week to diagnose the problem as a bent steering arm and that the front leaf springs had been over extended and needed to be replaced. I oredered a factory steering arm from the local GM dealer. When i took the broken steering arm out I compared it to the new one, and in deed it was bent. I installed the new one but it still did not fix the problem. Although i did not fix the "broken" leaf springs, I dont understand how that could play a role in the steering. I dont understand what could be wrong with it and was wondering if anyone out there had any ideas or have had the same problem, all and any replies are welcome because I have not been able to drive it in over 2 months, and i want it fixed!!!!

2. 1BAD88

1BAD88 Registered Member

Got pics of the front end??Did you check out the drag link and tie rod ends?What exactly did you hit??is the axle broken in the leaf spring? This is a hard problem to diagnose with limited info...........

3. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

How exactly is your spring broke? and do you have stock steering or crossover? I would assume that you have the stock steering because of your comment about buying a stock arm.
    If this is the case then i would think that it is one of two things. First i would check to see if by chance the axle has slid forward or back on the spring itself. This would mean that the centering pin is broke or sheared off and that would cause the exact problem that you are talking about.
    The second thing that i can think of is that your short steering link may have pulled a few of the threads out of the adjuster and made it longer or shorter. Some models are adjustable and some are not so this may or may not be the problem. You may want to check to see if it is bent. If it is bent it would have to be bent quite a bit to be a noticable change in steering.
    Let us all know what you find out.

4. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Sounds to me like your drag link got compressed - easy fix, just take a few turns out of it.

5. cvblazer

Sorry, no pics. What is the difference between the drag link and the tie rod. I checked the piece between the pitman arm and the steering arm and it doesnt look bent. What I hit was a ditch, going about 10 mph. The axle is not broken, and leaf springs dont cracks or anything, but have been over flexed apearantly. I already checked to see if the pins centering the leaf springs on the axles is broken in anyway and it is not. Before putting on the new steering arm, i tried to adjust the tie rod coupler, but couldnt manage to loosen it, which leads me to believe that in fact it did become compressed. Thanks for the help so far. Will update to see if i can adjust that rod.

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you need to adjsut the darg link...happens to a lot of us everytime we go off road. An easy fix...I would go to that shop and bitch at them for being dumbasses...all you really needed was an alignment.

7. 1BAD88

1BAD88 Registered Member

The drag link is the threaded rod that comes off the pitman arm to the back of the knuckle .The steering rod is the bar that extends from drivers side knuckle to the passengers side knuckle.The tie rods are the threaded joints that are attached to the ends of the steering bar and drag link ends. It is common that after hard wheeling and abrubt hits to throw a few threads on the drag link .Just loosen the 4 bolts and turn the center collar (using a large screwdriver)or required tool to adjust it back to center.Make sure that your front wheels are straight then turn the collar till your steering wheel is center with the front wheels and presto your done..This should solve your problem and it would be a good idea to get a good front end alignment .I get one after every weekend of hard trailin Its normal maintenance for a straight axle chevy .good luck man and let us know how it turns out..........

8. cvblazer

Well, I loosened the drag link and extended it, and thankfully, the steering wheel is now rightsdide up, and it turns equally on each side. Thanks for all your input in helping me fix it.

9. 1BAD88

1BAD88 Registered Member

No problem dude thats what we're here for .............