Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K5 Sunroof's

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 91KJIMMY, Oct 13, 2000.

1. 91KJIMMY

91KJIMMY Registered Member

K5 Sunroof\'s

Has anyone every installed a pop out sunroof in the cab section of a K5. Can it be done, and will it really weaken the trucks cab?

2. Eric

Eric Registered Member

Re: K5 Sunroof\'s

I have had one professionally installed. Came out real nice. It is totally removable too. Had a small leak initially, however they fixed it for free, lifetime warrante.

Best of luck

One eyed super fly- watch out!
    86 K5 Blazer

3. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I don't think a sunroof would work very well in my fiberglass top. Oh yeah, not everybody is full convertable. Ha!

(the rust is starting to look bad, dang!)

Cruisin in my '73.

4. derek2002

derek2002 1/2 ton status

Eric-
    How much did it cost to have the sunroof installed? Let me know..

Later,
    Derek

-Derek
    1977 3/4 Ton & Blazer Project (Body Needed)
    http://www.4chevy.com

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I paid $250 installed two years ago, including a new custom headliner that had padding installed under it. Nice, nice addition to a 'partially topless' K5, no leaks, no drips, nothing but nice sunlight filtered. Plus the glass comes out with two snaps and you are open air. Size is 36 x 18 I believe (can't measure it right now).

<font color=black>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>http:// www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

6. rich'90

rich'90 1/2 ton status

I have been thinking about doing the same. I found some installed for as low as $100. Not sure if that is a good price or not. Post how it turns out and what you find.
    Thanks

Go heavy or Go home[​IMG]

7. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark

Dont try it on a first generation. Mine had one in it when I got it. Leaked, But I fixed that and it definately took a lot of the strength out. I ended up junking it and getting another.. I tried filling it in but it sagged in that area so no luck.

8. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Re: High 5!

hahaha yeah you really don't know what it's like to be totaly topless like the 69-75! Man I hate when it gets cold and I have to put the top back on! Now on a side note I'm looking at a second top and installing a sliding fabric sunroof like the old VW vans had in the 75 if I can get it down to a reasonable price.
    On the wifes 79 I have been tossing around the idea of a sunroof but If I do it I want to do it right....power. I figure if I were to graft in the roof off a 2nd Gen Rx7 or a CRX where the roof pops out and slides back over the roof would be totaly slick. The CRX has a flat roof an might be the better doaner and was available as a moon roof version. Might also be smaller that the RX7.
    I hate the fixed glass models where you have to remove the glass to get true open and my Targa Supra confirmed that. I love driving it with the top out but it's a 10 minute hassle everytime. Wish I had looked more and found a sunroof version of the Supra.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

9. DMK

DMK 1/2 ton status

Bought my 87 with pop up installed already. Was leaking around the glass, but with a tip from eagle this was fixed. Then found out I could press down on the roof enough to make an 1/4 inch gap. Had to seal all this with silicone, now no more leaks. I myself would suggest aginst it. Unless you find a place that has been in business along time and stands behind there work. I know alot of people that would not bur a truck or car that has an aftermarket sunroof installed. Just something to think about.

10. Espen88k5

Espen88k5 1/2 ton status

Another thing to consider is that the roof flexes. At least mine does, it sucks the roof down when I go into a ditch and it pops back when I go back upp again.. Wouldnt want to suddenly get a shower of glass on my head when I'm showing off to the chicks.[​IMG][​IMG]

http://www.espen88k5.coloradok5.com

11. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

Oops wrong thread.
    <font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red>, it's a population control thing</font color=blue>[​IMG]

12. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

I was afraid mine shattering too but it was one of the factory style pop-ups and it just moved around on the rubber seal when the body flexed. I pulled it out when I had the tub swapped but I haven't gotten around to installing it in the new one. It never leaked before but I don't know if I want to risk it with the new body. I really do miss it though.

Joe
    RIT Mini-Baja http://www.rit.edu/~bajawww
    Team Mudnuts http://www.mudnuts.org