Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K5 tailgate electric window problem?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Mar 6, 2002.

I have a 89 K5 Blazer with power windows and ever since I got it, the tailgate window catches about 2/3 of the way up and I have to wiggle the window at the one spot so it can go all the way up. Anyone else have this problem with theirs? Do I need to adjust the window track in the tailgate or what? Thanks for the help...

Doug

1. K05Aggie

K05Aggie 1/2 ton status

I have an '89 too, and mine pops pretty loud every time at about the same spot. I can't tell what causes it yet because I've only had my Blazer a couple weeks.

2. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Try greasing the tracks the window sit's on.

3. Greenblazer-AZ

Greenblazer-AZ 1/2 ton status

I used to have a Suburban that would do that popping thing. It was the tailgate release rods catching on the bottom glass support. The solution was to slightly bend the rods away from the glass an tape some pipe padding on to them to keep them away from the glass. By Pipe Padding I mean closed cell foam padding like they use on the crossbar of a BMX bicycle you can get it at hardware stores. Tape it onto the tailgate release rods so it will spin on the rod and act as a roller. To do this mod you only have to take the panel off the tailgate. One way to check if this is your problem is to take off the panel and watch from inside the rig with the tailgate closed as the window goes up and down. with a flashlight in hand you will probably be able to figure out what the problem is. Hope this helps.

4. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Mine did same....inside on the lever that actual raises and lowers the window was (note I said was) a plastic like bushing and it broke , fell off, and a baby dinosaur ate it. However with that piece gone it always caught at a little routed out section in the track. I just took the top off, lowered the window a year ago and haven't raised it since. LOL

Good luck
    White Knight (Texas variety)

5. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

The motor on mine was bent towards the inside of the Blazer and would hit on the frame. I just bent it back into place and it was like new again.

6. marcus

marcus Registered Member

This is strange, because my truck does the exact same thing...and I was pretty sure it didn't when I went to look at it to buy it.

I thought that it started becausewhen I bought the truck, it came with a spare 6.2l engine and spare th400+tcase. The old owner loaded all this into the back off the Blazer when I came to pick it up, but he owned an engineering business andput them in with a forklift.

When I got home, myself and and a friend got the gearbox out, but the engine was to heavy. It was a few days before I could get time to rent an engine hoist, so I was driving round with this 6.2 engine in the back...every time I gave it to much gas, the engine rolled back and hit the tailgate, brake too fast, and it would roll forward...I drove pretty carefully fo those first few day. Anyway, the engine left a dent on the inside if the tailgate door, and I assumed that this dent was causing the mechanism to catch, I just haven't got round to having a look yet...

7. Mingler

Mingler Registered Member

Same problem on My front.
    Big friend......Tale Gate Party...........you get the idea.
    You simply need to straighten out the rods.....check the Motor alignment and add some of the funky foam tubing (talked about above). With that done, You've got a smooth running window.

Now if i could only find a new (Unscratched) window for cheep...............I'd be laughing.

If at first you don't succeed.............GUN IT!

8. seslick77

seslick77 1/2 ton status

Speakin of scratches, anybody know a way to polish them out or at least hide em? With the tint them scratches really show!!

9. Big_B_Murphy

Big_B_Murphy 1/2 ton status

I have the same issue, but for what seems to be different reasons that everyone else.
    I disassembled my tailgate to discover that a previous owner had repalced the window. When he put the metal brackets that the glass is glued to too far apart. the windo gets about 2/3's of the way up and the levers bind. I can't get the windo all of the way up or down without someone yanking on it while I work the switch from the inside. The rear key switch wore out due to this before I got the truck. I had greased the tracks assuming that grease would solve the problem, but it did not. I am going to try to reposition the brackets if I ever get the truck moving again.

10. Topless84

Topless84 Registered Member

The window sash might be rusted. We all know how the parts swell when they rust. This was the trouble with mine. The clearences are pretty tight in the tail gate anyway and that swollen sash would hit every time. I replaced it with a new one and have had no more problems. Hope this helps.

11. bigblue

bigblue 1/2 ton status

yeah mine does the same thing...just haven't had time to figure out what the hell is catching...I would think some grease or wd40 might help.