Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K5 to K20 Swap compatability and Plow Frame. Help !

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ji240, Aug 18, 2003.

1. ji240

ji240 Registered Member

Hello

I have an 89 GMC Jimmy. The guy down the road from me just put his 3/4 ton Suburban up for sale for 1500 dollars. It has a blown head gasket. Both front and rear axles have been redone ( bearings, seals, ball joints. tie rod ends etc. ). It has an 8 ft Fisher Plow. Even the body is in pretty good shape. I beleive the truck is an 88 - 89. He wasnt home to talk to yet. I only took the info he had on the window.

Heres my thoughts and I would like yours and some advice.
    If I took the axles ( The Suburban has a 14bolt SF in it. ) and put them in my K5 and swapped the plow to my K5 I should have a pretty nice plow rig. The Suburban also has nice mag wheels and new 16 inch tires.

Are the 3/4 ton Suburban frames the same as the 1/2 ton K5s?
    Will the plow swap over? Should I swap the leaves and all? or just the axles themselves? Do you see any incompatabilties between these? Or anything I may be over looking. I have wanted to do the 8 lug swap for a a while now and this seems cheap and easy.

My thoughts are if I did this swap I could then put my 1/2 ton stuff in the Suburban and sell that after fixing the head gasket which is cheap and easy to do. I also have a 6 inch lift and 35s I could put on it. I imagine I could get 1000 - 1500 back for the Suburban running and ready to go.

OK thoughts? Ideas? Let them rip. Is this a bad idea?

Thanks for reading

John

2. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

as for plowing:

plowing with a lift and tires blows. throw a locker in the back and every plow outing turns into off-road recovery. i plowed one season with my k15 jacked up 7" running 38.5s and an auto. i couldnt stand it. after each plowing, i would have to remind myself to let go of the death grip i had on my steering wheel.

the plow will also get in the way of crossover, and a winch. but it gives a good recovery point.

as far as i know both frames are the same. the weight of the plow will reak hell on stock k5 springs, making them even flatter /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

any more info you need? drop an IM TorkDSR

Ryan

3. ji240

ji240 Registered Member

Thanks for the reply TorkDSR. My plan was to run my Jimmy with the 3/4 ton axles and no lift and the plow. The Suburban would have the 6 inch lift, 1/2 ton gear and no plow. Would be nice I think if this all can be done.

Thanks

John

4. ji240

ji240 Registered Member

Anyone else with some comments? ideas? thoughts on this?
    Much Appreciated
    Thanks
    John

5. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Everything you have planned out is a simple swap. You should have no problems as long as you get conversion u-joints for the rear axles on both trucks. But I would add an extra leaf to the stock pack up front to carry the weight better and re-enforce your frame before pushing any snow.