Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

k5 top slider glass swap, from an 86 to an 82 top ? same ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Mar 14, 2004.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

are the slider glasses in an 82 top same as 86 ones ? vice versa ? just making sure if 86 glass will fit in 82 top

and if so then i need all the best tips in the world regarding the easiest way to coax glass weatherstripping over the lip on these tops,

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif my life probably depends on it i bet.. big ugly guy literally as big as a grizzly bear might sit on me- or worse- if they wont swap

long story.... and no, you dont want to know......! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
    thanks

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

i think they are all the same between all second gen tops

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    i think they are all the same between all second gen tops

[/ QUOTE ]

are 81-87 considered second gen too ? i always considered 81-87 to be third gen, were changed a ton in 81, hardly anything same really cept doors and column through 83 and all the glass, thats about it.

hmm

any tips on installing the glasses in these tops, easiest way ? if such exists ? i was thinking soapy water and clothesline or similar

no ?

thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

4. i_4x4

i_4x4 1/2 ton status

There should be a metal clip. Bottom middle of the window seal. Use a small flat tip screw driver pry out from 1 end. Them remove plastic bead from middle of the seal. This will allow the seal to flex enough to get the window out. When reinstalling put the seal arround the window, place 1/4" rope or cord into groove that fits in the shell,all the way arround leaving the ends hang out, spray a lubricant soapy water works on inside of seal. Hold window & seal against the outside of shell opening, press in w/ slight pressure, while the person is on the inside pulls 1 end of cord out & arround the opening. This will pull the lip of the seal into the shell. Reinstall plastic bead, then metal clip. Plasic bead maybe BRITTLE when removing or install. if it breaks it still can be used, or new bead can be purchased at any glass shop. Hope this helps. Ed

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

the bead is old and not shiny anymore its basically junk anyways, sun killed it a long time ago, ive never seen any weatherstripping 'silverado' chrome thats any good anymore from the 80s or earlier cept the 67-72 real stainless steel chrome stuff

so you are saying to have the weatherstripping in the slider glass top hole already and then put the slider assembly in after that ?

hmm.... right ?

interesting

6. i_4x4

i_4x4 1/2 ton status

No, after the window w/ seal is installed into top. Then install the bead. The bead is what locks it all together.

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

interesting..

well then in that case then the sliders have to be installed from inside of the truck, because the bead is on outside side of the stripping

i removed these oens out here by oushing them out with the strippings, i didnt even remove the beads

i dont see any need to remove the beads when installing or removing them

is it really easier to install or remove them by bringing them towards inside of truck then ??

so which direction do you install them then ??

im confused

thanks