Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K5 tries to die on corners.....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1983k5, Mar 12, 2005.

1. 1983k5

1983k5 Registered Member

Aight, i bought this 83 K5 with no intake or carb, just put a edelbrock performer intake and carter 650cfm carb on the 350 crate engine in it. So the problem is whenever i go around a corner, it acts like it wants to die. Sputters and jerks, and then after i straighten out, it will get a little better over a couple seconds, then its fine, until i corner again. happens from a dead stop, or while in motion. It wont do it however if i just turn the wheel while stopped. I'm pretty sure its a gas problem, from the inertia or something, but I'm a newb at the engine tuning thing. I was thrilled I got the intake and carb on lol Thanks for any help.:grin:

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Readjust the floats ( wrote choke this morning half awake oops ) , and get the spring loaded needle and seats ( drag race /off road kit ) :k5: :k5:

Last edited: Mar 12, 2005
  3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Q jet time. :grin:

4. 1983k5

1983k5 Registered Member

hmmmm aight, i'll look into that, I'd rather not get another carb if i dont have to lol:(

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

float problems

Sounds like your floats are set wrong,or they have a leak in them and are sinking--try re-adjusting the floats after checking them to see if gas is in them--if so you'll need new ones.--too high or low a float setting will cause what you describe..Carter AFB and Edelbrock carbs are petty fussy about float level settings and are more prone to stalling out due to off camber or hills than others are...A Q-jet is better for bouncing around off road or on hills...but the E-brock gives better power on the street in many cases....Might want to check the fuel pump pressure and volume too-it wont run good if the carb bowl is nearly empty..:crazy:

6. 1983k5

1983k5 Registered Member

Sweet! Thanks all:laugh: