Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

k5 update high steer clearance woes, & caddy motor install pics

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by boz42, Sep 2, 2004.

1. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

here is an update from my build-up.

I installed a ORD high steer/crossover set-up & a WTO box. i am running a 60f w/ 4" frt leafs & a 1" zero rate, w/ axle moved foward 1.5". The problem was that the pitman arm & drag link end was dirrectly above the tierod & only had about 3" of clearance. I was scared they would hit when the driver front tire was at full stuff. I replaced the dropped pitman arm w/ a straight one & it hit the frame, so i used a lowrider technique & "C" notched the frame to get clearane. I made the "C" notch from a piece of 1/4" wall 6" o.d. steel pipe & welded it in. the straight arm gave me 6-7" of clearance between the pitman arm & tierod.

[​IMG]

the caddy motor is finally in its new home also. i made engine mount out of spring bushing assemblies. my frame is boxed from the rear of the rear spring hangers to the rear of the frt crossmember thet the prop valve mounts on. the mounts are welded to the plates we used to box the frame i made the engine pedistals & the new crossmember out of 2" .120 wall D.O.M. pics from top & under side
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

here are 2 pics of us testing the clearance between the drag link/ pitman are & the tierod. it looks pretty good now. didn't flex it out to hard since most of the welds in the engine compartment are just tacked & we didn't want to chance braking them
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2008
  2. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Very Kewl!! /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

woah thats awesome /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif nice work /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

4. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

hey quick question about the caddy motor. My buddy has a 472 in his, and the temp gauge doesn't work. I called the parts stores and they said it has a switch stock not an actual sensor, so do you know what to use??

5. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

There is a temp gauge sending unit in front of the intake and there are probably two switches one in each head. The ones in the head were supposed to turn a light on in the dash of the old caddy's at 290 deg. Kind of a shut it off now light.

6. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Hmmm yeah the one at the front of the intake is the one we need. Parts stores don't even list them or maybe they are just kinda /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

7. cybrfire

[ QUOTE ]
    just kinda /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

You hit it right on the head. Take the old one out and see if you can visually match it with a Chevy part. They look about the same but I haven't actually checked.

8. cybrfire

boz42 nice work on the fab. What did you do for transmission mounting. Go with the adapter plate?

9. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

right now the tranny is sitting on the stock crossmember w/ a 203 adapter behind it. i am gonna run a doubler, but i haven't got to the nitty gritty on it yet i am gonna go ahead & put all of the doubler in & see what it looks like, when i get something fabbed up i will post up.