Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

k5 usage

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ducati-cooter, Feb 6, 2002.

1. ducati-cooter

ducati-cooter Registered Member

I am wondering how many of you use your blazers for daily drivers and howmanyy use them for offroad only. If you drive it daily what is the current condition is it in and what has it cost you so far. ??????????

2. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Mine is a daily driver and weekend warriro type truck. I bought it for about 4 grand with lift and tires already and have spent about 2 grand on it swapping in gears, maintence, etc. As for gas I don't worry about it. I probably spend more than the avg person, but then again... what can thier honda civic do better than the k5?

87 Custom Deluxe
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    4.56 , 35" BFG Muds, CatCo Cat & Series 40 delta flow 3" tips.
    6"Springs, Tranny, & Engine coming soon.

3. ducati-cooter

ducati-cooter Registered Member

has any one done major body repairs if it is there daily driver?? if so what did it cost you.

4. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

Mine is a daily driver too! Its a little overkill for its usage, but I love it. The truck does REALLY WELL offroad, and just fine on the road. As far as cost... Let's just leave it at this - I spent just under $13k on it last year! $3500 purchase price, and ~$10k in parts, upgrades, and parts trucks. [​IMG]

<font color=red>GOT MUD???</font color=red>
    My license plate reads:<font color=blue> 8 YR SUV</font color=blue>
    454/TH400/NP205 - 14BFF/D60/w/ 4.10s - 36" TSLs

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I drive mine daily, about 15 miles. I bought it a little rusty in places with a blown motor. I've cut out some of the more offending rust areas and welded in replacements but nothing very costly. I've put a good chunk of money in the truck mostly to satisfy severe off road punishment as opposed to the daily driving as well as my primal need for loud displacement. Regular mainenance is pretty cheap considering. It's hard not spending money on it though due to the broad aftermarket industry following these trucks and the stock interchangability.

All in all, I'd do it again. I have a nice BMW and still take my K5 to work every day, thats got to say something!

I started with nothing and I still have most of that left! - <a target="_blank" href=http://www.echobit.com:81/k5/> Pictures</a>

6. Danno

Danno 1/2 ton status

My K5 in my signature below is my daily driver. It's relatively stock, so it doesn't cost me much in tires, and the ones I have wear well on pavement.

Since it's a diesel, I don't spend much on fuel either. I normally fill up about once every two weeks, and I drive about 30-40 miles a day to and from work.

I love driving my K5 every day. It's actually saved me a couple times when I was cut off and had to run on the shoulder or in the grass to avoid people. If I was in a car, I'd have probably wrecked at least once due to the terrain.

Oh, and I do take it off-roading whenever I get a chance. Haven't done much lately because my tires aren't the greatest in snow and ice, but I plan on doing more this summer.

1984 K5 Blazer 4x4 Silverado
    6.2L diesel, 700R4, 3.42 gears, 31x10.5" tires<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Danno on 02/06/02 05:21 PM.</FONT></P>

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I drive mine almost daily and wheel when I can. I've done some major body repairs too. I spliced the rear half of a 73 Blazer(it was mint cond with no rust) onto the front half of my 81 Jimmy. I've also replaced most of the front floors, both front fenders, drivers door, passenger door twice (trail damage last time[​IMG]) Tailgate twice...original rusted beyond hope, found another from a '80 Blazer for $50. That tailgate was destroyed when i was rear ended. Now I have a really good tailgate from a '90 Jimmy.My entire drivetrain front to back...

I've been lucky and somewhat patient waiting for deals to fall into my lap though so overall cost has been reasonable. The rear half of the Blazer I got for $150.
    All the doors I've found have been free so far...lucky I guess[​IMG]
    Fenders I used aftermarket and slightly damaged from shipping. I got them new for $45 each.
    I did buy a small 110 volt welder specifically for rust repair so that should figure into the total costs...

Drivetrain is mostly mix and match of heavier duty stock stuff. 4 bolt main 30 over 350 replaced the 305. SM 465 /NP 205 with fixed yoke replaced the SM 465/NP208. 14 bolt FF rear with 3.73's replaced the 12 bolt 2.73 geared rear. 3/4 ton Dana 44 replaced the 10 bolt front.

I've had the truck for 5 years now and it's nowhere near done...I did recently paint it though. I spent $23 on 8 cans of cheap flat black.[​IMG]

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>

8. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

I bought my '87 Blazer back in November of 2001 for $4900...it had 134,000 miles on it... the body was in really decent shape and has only two spots of rust on the rear part of the rockers under the doors... Since then I have purchased the following that will be replaced VERY soon:
    1. Rebuilt 700r4 tranny
    2. 6" ProComp lift w/ rear blocks
    3. Missouri Offroad's shock relocation kit
    4. 5 ProComp Xterrain 35x12.50" tires (1 is a spare, obviously)
    5. ProComp extended brake lines

That is just the beginning...

I have more on the way...I drive my tuck daily and generally go home every weekend to Denver (about 75 miles) and I don't care about the fact that I get 12 mpg cuz I AM HAVING FUN and looking good doin it [​IMG]
    I would say for a daily driver, they ae not the best, but mine is a daily that I enjoy wheelin ojn the weekend...

Chris

Was that a speed bump? No, just a Rice Rocket </font color=red> <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/fortcollinsram>My 87 Blazer</a>

9. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

Mine is a Sunday Driver-

When purchased- 3K, it had the 4" body and 3" suspension, the true dual was done,
    the floors were replaced
    interior was gutted
    came with 2 new outters/ 2 new inner fenders, that were primered, and seam sealed.. along with two new doors
    these are GM parts, not aftermarket..

I did all the work with the doors/fenders myself- along with we swapped back the 3/4 axles for the 1/2 that were originally in it...

When we are said in done, in about 2 months, (It has a date with the BEAUTICIAN in April)... I will probably have $$ into the truck, after buying it- about $3,000... which is a total of 6k in the thing. The stuff left for me, is the tires/rims, paint, (very little body work,it was already done). some cosmetic stuff for the interior, along with carpet.

She has been sitting since I bought her, and I have actually only "driven" her once since we got it... I drove it more when it wasnt mine, it was a friend of mines, and her and her husband got in an argument, over it, he sold it LOL...

Once done, I probably will end up driving it more than I think I will. I am not looking forward to lifting the kids up in it, but I think I can overcome that!

Brandy

LOVING the new Duramax!!!

10. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

My truck is (was) a daily driver. I am at college, so it doesn't get driven right now, but it was a DD for years, and is when I'm in town. My truck has cost my parents (and me recently) alot of money over the years. My dad has put a new 350 crate in it, tranny, carb (a couple of times), and rebuilt the rearend. Along with all the other normal crap, brakes, etc. My truck does everything though. It is our hunting truck, daily driver, and weekend wheeler. It used to do all the towing, but got retired last year in favor of an F350. The truck has seen years of abuse and has never left us anywhere. I wouldn't trade my truck for anything. Nothing has proven to be as reliable as it. If you treat them right they will be very dependable, mine always has. Here is a true story that happened to me.

My dad went outside to go to work one morning and tried to start his truck (97 F150). Dead. He then went to start his other truck (90 F150) Dead. Last but not least, he went to my truck (85 GMC Jimmy) and fired that mother up. No problem.

The bottom line, expect things to break. But whatever you break will still be cheaper to fix then everything else.

My Chevy isn't broken, its just out of gas.

11. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

mine is a daily driver, but i would say its trail ready
    i go 4wheelin bout everyother weekend
    i got about 7725 into it now, including the cost to buy it.

<font color=red>K5: Because size DOES matter</font color=red>
    85 K5 4IN LIFT 35 GOOD YEAR WRANGLER MT/R, AMERICAN RACING WHEELS

12. denver75k5

denver75k5 1/2 ton status

13. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Daily driver....here check link for pic's..On how much $$$ I spent, I don't want to know [​IMG]

Eric
    from Freekmont,CA.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.community.webshots.com/user/vwryda> Miscellaneous Debris </a>

14. speed_deed

speed_deed 1/2 ton status

Well my 85 is a daily driver. All it has cost in 6 years is a steering column, starter, grille, tires. then the 84 is the hunter/off road truck it cost me $150 and is only bout a month old so I haven't had time to blow anything up or replace anything.

'85 k-5 gmc jimmy 4x4 sierra classic. '84 k-5 gmc jimmy sierra. '70 cuda 440 6 pack executive edition shaker hood, steering column shift.

15. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>I have one for daily driving and one for the woods. The 71 is the woods truck, I'm not sure how much I have in it, nor do I want to know. I just got my 89 Silverado 2 weeks ago and thats my daily driver now. With the CD player I have about 3900 in it.

16. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

Re: k5 usage \"LONG\"

I drive mine daily. here is my story:
    I originally purchased a 82 chevy longbed c-10 paid $1100 man I loved the 350/ TH350/4.11's in that truck. It was a scottsdale package which means it had nothing. I put about $1000 into it before I realized it would cost me quite a few grand to fix how i liked. Plus I rathered a shortbed for my purposes.

Found an 85GMC Sierra Classic 350/TH350/3.73's had it for two years. While my 82 was up for sale I pulled out a loan to pay for this one b/c I am a college student it was $3800 with 4,000miles on a fresh 350 so then there were two trucks the 82 was for sale when my dad realized hey if I maintained the truck it would be perfect for his hunting lease with some good mud grips and could tow with those 4.11's so happily I drove the 85GMC and the 82 went down to being used about 1 time a week....moved away from hoem drove my 85 highway,muddin,everything, never left me stranded

This summer HAD to have a blazer for teh room tired of my stuff getting wet...like the collector aspect really liked the 4x4 and a standard behind a 350 What A Dream! I always wanted a 350 backed by a standard. This time teh 82 had to go because my mom liked my 85 so much she picked it up from me for my dad's new hunting truck...I got the blazer $2800 and spent $1000 in the first month rebuilding the transfer case, fixing wheel bearings, exhaust, interior etc...It had to take the place of my 85 and become my daily driver...so here i am about 8mths later happier than ever of the upgradeability of my truck and reliablity, being that I am a college student this project is moving no wheres fast but it hasnt given me many problems and the gas mileage is a bit better than the other trucks for a carb and gets me around 14-15mpg interstate with headers, glasspacks, and MSD

Sorry SO long winded....are these trucks usable and reliable...YES!

Definately a pavement pounder...with the caveman clutch

1985 GMC C-10 Shortbed
    1984 Chevy K-5 Blazer

17. Blazin Obsession

Blazin Obsession Registered Member

My Blazer is not a Daily driver, just use it for fun. I bought it 2 years ago for $3200 with a blown motor and have spent over $10,000 on it and most of my spare time. I believe the truck is easier and cheaper to build up if you don't have to drive it to work monday morning after a hard day of wheeling. Nothing like wrenching at 2 am. Also parts come cheaper if you can wait,,, panic repairs are more costly and done poorly. When it comes to the body I repair the rust myself and try not to worry to much about the dents and scratches.
    Ken

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazinobsession.com/>http://www.blazinobsession.com/</a>

18. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well Not counting tires I'm pushing $4k in my truck. What did I get for 4k you asked including the purchace price of the vehicle.
    75Jimmy.
    Rebuilt tranny.
    Rebuilt 203 with Part time.
    Rebuilt front axle
    regear,
    Detroit rear, lock right front.
    full cage
    rebuilt carb
    Motor was pretty sound but did replace stuff like water pumps full tune up (couple of them now)
    Heater core
    Seats out of a 90's Mini van
    about $150 in rattle cans
    bumpers
    rocksliders from hell (also air tanks)
    4 inch lift
    Huge storage box bolted to bed
    speakers.
    floors and rockers

How did I do that you ask. Well I got the truck for $1. the rest is parts, some used. Managed to get a killer deal on the gears and lockers. Bud had a truck that was no longer a trail truck. it had them in it. He's as anal as I am. His front axle was rebuilt like mine is. So we swapped axles, I gave him a Gov loc and some cash. That saved me about $800 in parts.
    I do all my own labor including rebuilding the tranny. Other than just buds helping out I'm the only one that turns the wrenches this and my other 3 vehicles.

What is on my list to get.
    Electric cooling fan
    Power steering cooler
    crossover (have almost all the parts already including 2wd box)
    winch
    1 inch ORD body lift
    new body mounts (the rubber parts)
    new case mount and motor mount cause the New motor mounts are already toast so going poly.
    Want a proper soft top. Getting old. Bikini top for 8 months is getting hard to tough out.
    35's ordering them this week.

I'd drive it anywhere but it's not my DD. I have had to drive it daily for about 6 weeks when I burned a Valve in my DD. But a Supra is much more fun on the street than the truck especialy with good tunes
    When the weather is nice and the top is off I drive it pretty regular.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

19. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

mines my DD/trail rig.
    Bought her for 1200
    put:
    383 stroker
    headers
    carb
    tune up-basic maintence
    4" lift
    ord disconnects
    36x12.50 TSL's
    16" rims
    14FF rear with 4.56's
    rebuilt the front with 4.56's
    custom bumper
    custom tire carrier
    ord frame brace
    cd player

So, I guess I've put $5500 into her (includes buying her) and she's the most reliable thing we have and is pretty trail worthy!

<font color=green>Can't sleep...the clown will get me</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bluefox.tv/~lara>My Wonderful Site</a>

20. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

My Blazer and is my daily driver right now. I wheel it ocassionally but once I get my bugs and stuff tweaked out and put in the new motor this spring it is gonna see some major weekend warrioring in the mud. I can hardly wait.

I picked up my truck for about 2500... it needed a tranny so put that and the lift in... did some misc mods and have cleaned up a few rusty spot so she looks great... I have about 5500 in it with purchase price and everything.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>