Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K5 versus Trees: K5 wins

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by djsblaze, Oct 10, 2005.

1. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

Just had to share this. Ive been going through the world's longest remodel at my house which is eating both my wallet and my spare time. Thus, I have not been wheeling much lately. 2 buddies and I bought some lots in South Tulsa (nice part of town) to build some spec houses. Being cheap, and having lots of trees to remove, I volunteered my blazer and my chain saw. Within four hours, the blazer tore down 10 old, humongous trees. 40 to 60 feet tall (I guesstimate). THESE TREES HAD TO GO, IM NOT A TREE HATER. We made minor cuts in the back of the tree, tied up my 30 foot recovery strap, dropped it in 4LO, engaged both lockers, and stepped on the gas. My truck was jumping up and down trying to pull those trees over. Each tree landed on top of my truck, but only the high brushy parts (minor paint damage). I realize it was not the "smartest" thing to do, but I wasnt paying an excavator either. I had so much fun. Only broke one hub. You should have seen all the well to do neighbors watching me and my friends destroy this lot...and all perfectly legally. Since I dont get to go wheeling much anymore, it was a brightspot in my weekend. Wish I had pics, but I dont have a camera or know what to do with it if I did.

2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I need to do that....!

I have several dead trees abut 50' high that need to be cut down for firewood for this winter--I am tempted to use my truck to pull em down,because I have to make sure they fall in the right direction so they wont fall in my neighbors yard,or get tangled up in all the other trees around them..my fence will probably be doomed--a huge old cherry tree is leaning over it,all cracked about 20' up--its only being held up by other trees it got caught on..I don't see any way to keep it from crushing the fence once I cut it at the base--hope it doesnt crush ME too! :eek1:

I hate sawing trees down with a chainsaw--I never have much luck getting them to land where I want,despite knowing how to cut them properly..once I had a tree fall TOWARDS me,despite cutting the "wedge" out and the back cut properly, due to a nicely timed wind gust--almost got killed,and it caused a lot of damage from falling exactly where I didn't want it to! :doah: ...not long after that a 19 year old a few blocks away was killed the same way..his father went to get more gas for the chainsaw,and told him not to cut anything until he returned..he didn't listen,and a 100' pine tree flattenned him like a pancake--his new Huskavarna chain saw was still in his hand,sticking out from under the tree. :eek1: :(

I think I'm going to find a long heavy rope or cable and see if I can pull them over without them landing right on my truck( that would be MY luck!--crush my only plow truck just before winter! :doah: )---maybe a winch with a snatch block would work better,then I wont be in the "line of fire" so to speak..at any rate its going to be a bit scary--no matter how I do it..but I have too--we need the wood for heat,and they will likely fall down on their own anyway soon--we had a bad windstorm last thurday,I'm suprised none of them fell yet!.. :crazy:

3. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

Pulling the tree in the right direction was the rationale for using the blazer. This lot is between two houses. Works great for that purpose. As for the treee landing on the truck, guess it depends on what kind of tree. These were big bushy maples and such, not tall pines. I highly reccommend this form of tree removal...

4. XHitman396

XHitman396 1/2 ton status

south tulsa, where at??

5. djsblaze

djsblaze 1/2 ton status

On 76th Street, between Yale & Sheridan. Its next to Minshall Park in a gated neighborhood called Minshall Pointe. If you get a chance, sneak by...we havent cleaned it up yet...which Im sure the neighbors love even more...it was fun.

6. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

i tore out some trees this weekend also :) big ol' beefy 14-18'ers :haha:

i used my cherry picker though, was still fun

7. Inu-Hanyou1776

Inu-Hanyou1776 1/2 ton status

Dad's done that once. Used an '88 F150 4x2 to yank down a huge pine that was RIGHT NEXT to the house. Needed to come down because if it fell during a storm or something, it would have come down on all of our bedrooms and killed all of us probably.

8. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

You pull out the ones by your drive way? You know the ones that gave me the "trail damage" ;) .

Ira

9. Roz

Roz 1/2 ton status

nope-those are going to stay-for making it look like u take the truck out once in a while :laugh: