Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K5 -vs- H2

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Twiz, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

H2 ~VS~ K5

Wheel base ..................106.5 -vs- 123 : Winner = K5 (assumeing better manuverability)
    Overall length .............. 189.5 -vs- 184.8 :Winner= Even, too close to call
    Overall Width ............... 96.75 -vs- 79.5 : Winner = K5
    Overall Height ................ 77.5 -vs- 73.4 : Winner = K5
    Track F/R ................. 69/69.75 -vs- ??/??: Winner = ??
    Total Overhang ............... 66.5 -vs- 78.3 : Winner = H2
    Min.Ground clearance ...... 10.5 -vs- 7.3F/6.7R : Winner = H2
    Est. Weight .................... 6400 -vs- 4800 : Winner = K5
    GVW Rating .................... 8600 -vs- 6100 : Winner = H2
    Tires ..............315/70R17 (35s) -vs- 215/75R15, optional 235/75R15 (28s ?): Winner = H2
    Axles f/r ..................... 9.25/9.5 -vs- 8.5/8.5 :Winner = H2
    Traction control .................. Yes -vs- No : Winner = H2
    Lockers ............... Rear E-locker -vs- Open, Optional Gov-loc: Winner H2
    Susp/Axle Style/ F ............... IFS -vs- Solid/leaf sprung : Winner = Even, Both styles have pros/cons (hehehe)
    Susp/Axle style/ R ... Soild/5-link -vs- Soilid/leaf : Winner = H2
    Skid-plateing ............. Complete -vs- None, Optional T-case and gas tank : Winner = H2
    Power to Weight Ratio ........ ??? -vs- ??? : Winner = Even, both are under-powered and heavy.
    Theft ..On-star/Factory Anti-theft -vs- The mean mother that owns it : Winner = Your call, Crazy K-5er with a crew that spreads from coast to coast or GPS tracking.

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Susp/Axle Style/ F ............... IFS -vs- Solid/leaf sprung : Winner = Even, Both styles have pros/cons (hehehe)

[/ QUOTE ]

Bullsh!t...for wheeling solid wins hands down (and all your comparison's are based on wheeling...)

Easy to work on...K5 hands down
    Aftermarket support...K5 hands down
    Looks...K5 hands down
    Swap factor...K5 hands down

I'd also say the 8.5" front is more durable than the 9.25" IFS due to the half shafts.

Overall the H2 is a poser and the K5 is the real deal...

Rene

3. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Now don't try to blur the arguement with facts /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

4. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

Rene, TELL US HOW YA REALLY FEEL MAN!!
    hey, i like the way he H2 looks...
    they just need to make it convertable like the REAL hummer.
    Grant

5. Tybee

Tybee 1/2 ton status

What about Price? /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

hey, i like the way he H2 looks...

[/ QUOTE ]
    An H2 looks like a Jeep that got banged by an original Hummer and the H2 is the offspring.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Hey...why don't we compare the K5 to a RAV-4?

Gas mileage...Rav-4
    Ease of parking...Rav-4
    loading groceries...Rav-4

See, it's all in black and white...the Rav-4 is a better truck than the K5. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Rene

8. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

CK5 friends ..... Winner=K5

Really though I thought someone had the once in a life time picture of a collision between the two....both totalled (as in cost more to repair than the book value, okay totalled to the nonCK5'er) but the K5 would be a up and running trail rig in a week or two depending on whose hands it fell in....may even be equipped with a e-locker outback /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> $45,000 vs. $10,000(for a pristine low mileage original late K5) Winner= 4 K5s for the price of one H2... Or 1 K5 and a nice 91 V3500 to tow it with, plus an extra $20,000 to build a superb trail vehicle. </font color>

10. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I seen the topic and Twiz's name and I KNEW this would be good! /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

Its apples and oranges.

How many of us HONESTLY can /will ever own an H2 till theyre about 20 yrs old? /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Its more or less a reskinned Tahoe and thats the bottom line. Yeah they are OK for cool factor if your into the look at me I drive an over priced pseudo station wagon 4X4. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Ill just about put money on the fact that 99.9% of these pigs will never have the Tcase locked in, provided they arent select trac all time crap that does it on its own. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

The closest thing to wheeling most of them will ever see is when the owner pulls it on the grass to wash it. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

Naw... it looks like you compared a stock K5 to the H2. That dont work. You have to compare a 80000.00 H2 with a 80000.00 K5. Put everything you can think of onto the K5, try to bring the price up to the same amount, then compare them. Ive told many of my non-wheeling friends... Give me the 80000.00 you are paying for the H2, and I will build you a truck that will walk all over a H2, then I will pocket 50000.00 for my trouble!

Mike

12. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

What about lifting cost? Winner K5

13. 77fixer

77fixer 1/2 ton status

An H2 looks like a Jeep that got banged by an original Hummer and the H2 is the offspring.

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Brett /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

14. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

topless vs top on, isn't toppless always a winner I mean ya they look nice but just rode in one last week with the Remax guy and the visability sucks worse than a blazer.

topless all the way and who wants to go down to the delership every time it breaks and just wait there will be recalls and I've heard most dealers arn't able/ don't know how to work on them yet /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

15. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

If you spent 80K on a H2- you spent about 27K too much.... just about every option you could add would put it still under 60K...VERY close to a cadi escalade, or a yukon denali etc...

We were ready to buy an H2- had it "ordered"...then they had 1 come in with diff options...I finally SAW how close the 3rd row is to the rear glass- and cancelled the deal....oh and by the way- it was only $1800 more than our D/A was and had a sh*t load more comfort features.....

Brandy

16. zcarczar

zcarczar 1/2 ton status

I was looking at the underside of an H2 today at the LA Auto show and they did very well with protecting all of the vital components. It even had rocksliders. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif I have also driven the Yukons/Escalades/Tahoes and these things drive friegen unbelievably nice. Of course anything for that much money should. I bet the K5 was the equivalent to an H2 when it came out way back when.

17. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Bullsh!t...for wheeling solid wins hands down (and all your comparison's are based on wheeling...)

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya think?
    I'll be dawg-awn if I didn't get stuck on that soilid-axle pumkin just the other day, the same pumkin that is only 7.5" off the ground. Wouldn't of happend with IFS's static ground clearance. (HeHeHe)
    All-though, getting stuck awn that very-same pumkin 'prolly saved my life once. The K5 side-slid off a cliff and got hung up on the pumkin, which is what kept it from falling all the way off. (pucker factor 8.5, you never seen a dude jump out of a window that fast, 'prolly looked like it was an olympic event)

I'd also say the 8.5" front is more durable than the 9.25" IFS due to the half shafts

[/ QUOTE ]

Bullsh!t...How often have the 1/2 ton front shafts pop a joint or snap a shaft? Compare the numbers to busted 1/2 ton C/V joints or half-shafts, even by percentages. IFS half-shafts are on-par with 1/2 ton solids, end of story.
    Now, a Dana 60, on the other hand, I'll agree, and the 9.25 IFS is a 1-ton diff. No-doubt, the 60 rules!
    All'though, with that said, I've NEVER seen a busted IFS half-shaf or C/V joint, EVER! (excluding accident impacts)

18. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I'll be dawg-awn if I didn't get stuck on that soilid-axle pumkin just the other day

[/ QUOTE ] So does this mean yers is goin? If so why havent we heard?! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

(excluding accident impacts)

[/ QUOTE ] Now was that put in there for me Twiz?

19. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I seen the topic and Twiz's name and I KNEW this would be good!

[/ QUOTE ]

HeHeHe, What made you think that ?

Its apples and oranges.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it ?

Check the dimentions again, they are pretty close. All-tho', the H2 is a deccade (!) newer, the designed intent is all-most identical. (granted, the H2 is intended for a far-higher income bracket, than the K5 was in it's day)
    Still, I think the camarison is just.

20. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

it looks like you compared a stock K5 to the H2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yerp, out-of-the-box stockers. (K5 specs based on a 82' G.M. service/sales guide. Shhh... don't tell the boss /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif)

The K5 was never directed to the upper-income market, while the H2 is... Cut the crap, strip-down the H2 and you might have yourself a modern-day K5, with factory fuel injection and vastly up-dated drive-train, the H2 is.....