Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

k5 vs jeep

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by four50four, Apr 10, 2000.

1. four50four

four50four Registered Member

hey, i posted a message a while back about buying a k5 over a mustang. obviously most of the votes went for the blazer. after much thought, i too, concluded that the mustang just wouldn't be worth it. so i knew i needed a 4by4. to make a long story short, i have narrowed it down to a blazer or a cj-7. i'm leaning toward the blazer because: i have one thats mine for free, a 77 jimmy to be exact. bodys shot, but frame off restorations are fun! being a 77 would it have a 10-bolt or dana 44 front? has a beat 203 transfer case, a iffy tranny, and a lousy 350, but i have at least an extra one of each of these. would looking for a 205 transfer case be a better idea than getting a 203 rebuilt? also, i'm gonna need lockin hubs, none of this fulltime stuff. on the other hand, i have a 350 and th350 to go in a cj-7, and a full convertable is real nice, as well as the short wheelbase. i except most reply's will go to the jimmy, i'd just like to know WHY you say that. thanks in advance [​IMG]

Keith

2. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

A Sawzall would make your Jimmy into a full convertable. You can have a GM with a GM drivetrain or you can have a heep with a GM drivetrain, which makes more sense. The CJ-7's wheelbase is too narrow for all around 4 wheeling.
    CB

3. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Just to answer a couple of you questions above. A 77 Jimmy would come with a 12bolt rear and a Dana 44 front. I would probably want to look for a NP205 if that 203 really needs a rebuild. But you can convert the 203 to be partime if you wanted to. Obviously my choice would be the Jimmy b/c is better. Jeeps are cool, but too popular. Too many people have them. If you think the K5 is too wide for a trail, find another one.
    Boss

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Drive about 500 miles in a softtop jeep and you'll be wishing you had a fullsize truck. [​IMG]

Seriously though, Jeeps are possibly better for narrow trails, rockcrawling, and picking up college chicks.

Blazers are a better all around wheeler, IMHO, better on road, and tons cheaper both for stock and aftermarket parts.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

5. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Ok, usually I am not biased when choosing a wheeling vehicle (except <font color=red>F[​IMG][​IMG]D's</font color=red>) I have many friends that own Jeeps and I wheel with them all the time. I would say a Jeep is a good vehicle if you like small vehicles. I prefer something to haul all the crap I like to take along while wheeling. I also like having a rig that you can "Bed Down" in. I have used my Blazer to camp, with an air mattress in the rear. I remove the rear seat completely and use it for a camp chair [​IMG]. I can use the Blazer around the house and haul much more than a Jeep. I can Go just about anywhere the Jeeps can Go in this area. I can tow more, pull more, go faster, pick up more trash (when on trails), and crawl with the best of them. They are always saying "Thats too narrow for you", then I go right through it, they freak out. My Blazer is built for functionality so the paint is a little scratched, the fenders are getting caved in where the 35" tires contact them under full articulation. This weekend, I witnessed where a short wheelbase vehicle is not superior. There are alot of powerline trails in my area. One perticluar powerline has never been traversed by any rig around here in the tough, middle line. Some friends in CJ-8's (Scrambler) have climbed the edge of the tough line with ease, however this weekend - one of the CJ-8's almost rolled over backwards and down the hill. This is where a longer wheelbased rig would prevail. I have not tried the power cut yet, but I plan to next time I am out. I will let you know who was victorious, the Jeep or the Blazer [​IMG]

<font color=red>Mudzer</font color=red>
    1978/91 K5 Blazer

6. NYC K5

NYC K5 1/2 ton status

jeeps are a lot of fun, infact maybe more so than blazers (sorry everyone), but there is a very good reason amc no longer exists they built sh!t

7. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Actually i think AMC was one of the best owners of the "jeep" name. I do agree that the blazer is a better....for me anyway. I've owned a cherokee, grand wagoneer, and a CJ-7. The 7 is waaaaay too small for anything except being a booze cruiser, wagoneers are nice.....kinda heavy for their size though, cherokees...again are small, narrow, not a real big tow capacity. In my 4 wheelin' group...it's a jeep club....i'm the only one w/a fullsize vehicle. You can just watch their jeeps get slapped around from side to side in the ruts. I guess it really depends on what you plan on doing....a lot of camping?, wheeling?...just driving?, booze cruising?

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

8. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

If you take a closer look, many jeep owners actually swap Blazer parts into their jeeps. I found a "Jeep" on ebay that was actually a jeep body on top of a Blazer frame with the 350, TH350 and everything. I hope this gives you a better idea.

<font color=black>//////
    What the heck!...Drive it like gas is $0.50/gal!!!
    </font color=black>[​IMG]

9. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

I of course side with the K-5, but the jeep is narrower so trail limitations are fewer, Jeeps are prone for rollovers. I have never rolled my K-5 and yes I've tried. More room in a K-5 for people and stuff, Parts are readily avail locally and cheaper. Full convertibles are nice,but they beat the heck out of you, are noisy and yes its cold in the winter.

<font color=purple>79' K-5 396cid 600hp, TH350, NP203</font color=purple>
    http://79blueknight.homepage.com

10. ggallin13

ggallin13 1/2 ton status

Everyone I know who has owned a H**P has regretted it. The body mounts give out very easily, for one thing. THey break axles all the time, and the stock H**P parts are garbage. Most of the ones you see still going are basically Chevys under a H**P body. I have a Landcruiser which is about the same as a CJ-7 (except it is well-built[​IMG]), and it is better than a K5 for rockcrawling and narrow trails, but the K5 can't be beat for daily driving and trail comfort. I would never put a decent audio system in a Cruiser or H**P because it is too easy to thieve everything out of them. They roll way more easily (I rolled mine [​IMG]). The convertable part is really cool, but the tops come off of K5s also, and you can sleep in the back, tow a boat or jet skis, carry a lot of wood for a fire, carry more people, beer, parts are cheaper; the list goes on and on and on...

11. BillR

BillR 1/2 ton status

I just sold a Cherokee to buy a Blazer! I also owned a CJ-7. It was a lot of fun, but way too small. The Blazer is the better choice for an all-around wheeler.

Blazin' in Flagstaff

12. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    If I had to choose again, It would be the Truck. I love my blazer for the functionability of it. Seems like any time we go wheeling with a Jeep, I end up pulling it out. To be honest tho, my next vehicle will be... (damn, I wasn't going to tell you guys this...) a Samuari. (Boom, slap, kick, punch) [​IMG] Ouch guys... You would be amazed at what those damn little P.O.S. can get into, and more importantly OUT OF! My friend has one with 36's on it, and its virtually unstoppable. (literaly)

Oh, if you really are interested in a jeep, check this site out http://www.Jeeps_are_4_FAGS.ifyouclickthisyouareaidiot.com

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez