Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K5 vs non K5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Tommy Gun, Dec 20, 2001.

1. Tommy Gun

Tommy Gun Newbie

I'm thinking of trading in my 89 Jeep Wrangler for a full size Blazer. I'd like to know what the differences are between K5 models and non K5. Is there a big diff between throttle body and fuel injection. I know they are both better (in my opinion) than carbs, but what works better between the two? Is there a year that only had a 454 or was there a year that offered both? This should be it for now.
    Thanks in advance,
    Tommy

2. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

I am not clear on what you mean on K5 and no K5? All full size blazers from 1969-91 were K5's. They came with 305's 350's and 400's but never 454 unfortunatly!! Fuel injection started at 1988 I think! I am not sure ?? You wouldn't regret switching to the K5 from the j33p [​IMG]

<font color=green>[​IMG]1977 K5 GETTIN IT AWN[​IMG]</font color=green>
    BUILT NOT BOUGHT

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Paulie, correction: fuel injection started in '87. [​IMG]

I'm not picking my nose...I'm just pointing at my brain!! [​IMG]

<a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/thatK30guy>The K30 Collection</a>

4. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

My bad [​IMG][​IMG]

<font color=green>[​IMG]1977 K5 GETTIN IT AWN[​IMG]</font color=green>
    BUILT NOT BOUGHT

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Are you talking about the newer full size "Blazers"? The biggest problem with them is that they have IFS, which makes them hard to lift. If you want a good looking SUV, then go for the newer ones. If you plan on lifing and modding the heck out of your truck, stick with a pre-92 model.......

<font color=blue> NEVER FORGET, NEVER FORGIVE, NEVER SURRENDER<font color=blue>

6. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Yea all Full Size blazers from 1969 thru 1991 were considered K5. The engine option ranged from the 305, to the 350, to the 400 and also the diesel... The gas engines were fed by a carb thru 1986 and in 1987, the inductino was switched to a TBI, or Throttle Body Injection...That was the only for of fuel injection ever used on the K5's...All K5's have a live solid front and rear axle...the more recent ones have GM 10-bolt axles and believe some oldeer ones came with a Dana 44 front/ GM 12-bolt combo...The greatest thing about the K5's is that you can basically bolt up many of the parts from K10, K20, K30 pickups, and suburbans from the same years (69-91). Check the specs link at the top of the top of the web page as Steve has assembled a nice spec sheet for the individual years...

Was that a speed bump? No, just a Rice Rocket </font color=red> <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/fortcollinsram>My 87 Blazer</a>

7. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dude. K/5's are the best.
    But straight up... the older the truck the more wrenching you will HAVE to do. You don't have to know how to wrench on a truck, just the attitude that you can and will do anything is all it takes.
    I'd say if you want to have a hobby to wrench on and be proud of your own work get a K/5... If your a businessman with a lot of money and don't want to get dirty and greasy, buy a new Blazer, Tahoe or Suburban.

As far a fuel injection goes, TBI or throttle body injection is better than carb's, but multiport injection is the way to go.

[REAL MEN DON"T CARE ABOUT GAS MILEAGE OR RAPID TIRE WEAR!]
    Ryan B.

8. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

the older the truck the more wrenching you will HAVE to do.

<hr></blockquote> you GOTTA be kidding me. i looked at your profile, and it apears you're a pre 80 wheeler as well. c'mon man whose side are you on. look at the bright side. you only need SAE wrenches. i just pulled a 700 outta a 82 blazer and the whole thing was metric, and there were wires, and vaccuum lines and catalysts (lions and tigers and bears, oh my) the older stuff may break slightly more often, but quite easier to work on.

the older the truck the more wrenching you will HAVE to do.

<hr></blockquote>

well put

wheelers hate posers.
    79k15/400/700r4/205/38.5
    &lt;a target="_blank" href=http://www.torkpig.homestead.com&gt;http://www.torkpig.homestead.com&lt;/a&gt;<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by TorkDSR on 12/21/01 09:31 AM.</FONT></P>

9. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

LOL!

the older stuff may break slightly more often, but quite easier to work on.

<hr></blockquote>
    You got that right on.
    That is kinda what I was getting at. Older Blazers are likely to need more stuff replaced or repaired. (ie..spring &amp; body mount bushings) and with age things will break.
    But no doubt they are easier to work on! I can't believe I overlooked this. heh. [​IMG] The older the truck the more simple it all is too. It just gets more complicated with fuel injection, computers, and the newer technology the later the truck.
    I'm definatly a pre 80's dude. Whats a scantool? OBDII? never heard of it. [​IMG]

In any case... selling your jeep wrangler for a K/5... you'll probally be doing more wrenching and getting greasy. If your into that then owning a K/5 is the best... If you don't know much and will have to take it to a mechaninc every time there's a problem, I'd be looking for the newest one I could find.. if it was me. That's my main point I suppose.

[REAL MEN DON"T CARE ABOUT GAS MILEAGE OR RAPID TIRE WEAR!]
    Ryan B.

10. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Actually, all full size Blazers from 69-93...or 94 are K5's...[​IMG] just the best one sare 69-91

90K5

11. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

93's cant be a K5, they are the new body style- isnt that when the lost the K5 name?

--Brandy

LOVING the new Duramax!!!

12. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

ACTUALLY...the BEST ones are 76's! LOL!!!

9/11/01..Never forget...Never forgive

13. Tommy Gun

Tommy Gun Newbie

Thanks for all of your input. I really need to just go out and take a look and test drive what's out there. I'm looking for a reliable daily driver. I hear you when you say the older rigs require more wrenching, later models are injected, more luxory equipped, but are harder to work on due to more computer crap. What it ultimately comes down to is getting the most reliable ride possible for my $. Whether it's an 84 with a freshly rebuilt engine, or a newer rig with tons of highway miles, I'll make my decision accordingly. When I narrow it down, I'll run it by yous experts again.
    Thanks, and season's greetings,
    Tommy

14. bigk

bigk 1/2 ton status

Actually, my 87 is considered a V10, not a K5. Whenever I go to the parts store that's what they call it. No idea why, but it really seems stupid cause that sounds like a motor. I still refer to it and all big solid axle Blazers as K5's. I'm not sure what year GM changed the designation.

Karl
    Temporarily Unemployed Underwear Model
    87 3/4 ton

15. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Yeah I have a 87 and on my insurance card and my carfax report they say v10... even at parts stores im like i have a 87 chevy fullzie blazer k5... they're like you mena v10? I tell them "I guess"... so Im guessing its a v10 heh

6in 87' K5 w/ 35" BFG muds.
    305/Sm465/ NP208
    Kn, 4.56's.
    In desperate need of a rebuild.
    Next- Eaton mech locker... Flows.

16. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

in 87 only gm dropped the c and k designators for r and v designators in anticipation of the new model 88, inexplicably in 88 they went back to c and k, I have two 87's one 4x2 and one 4x4 and had to explain this to my insurance company

it is always easier to ask for forgiveness than permission