Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K5 vs Regular Blazer

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Shiny, Nov 12, 2002.

1. Shiny

Shiny Newbie

I was wondering what the diffrence is between regular blazers and K5 blazers, not that K5s are better. I want to know the diffrences in body styles, interiors and, standard features etc.. and why k5s warrant their own website. I'm currently looking at a 1979 k-5 blazer 4x4 for $1800 but there are other ads that don't mention k-5 or anything of that sort. So what more am I getting from a k-5 than a regular blazer. Any help is greatly appreciated. Im 15 and looking at blazers for my first car - Kris

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

What do you mean by "regular blazer?" /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

regular s10 blazer [​IMG]

k5 blazer [​IMG]

4. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]
    Chick Blazer /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[​IMG]
    Man Blazer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

[​IMG]
    Grocery Getter

[​IMG]
    Trail Rig

`nuff said

6. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Man seein' that K-5 sent me reeling! What a beasts it got my blood flowin ... I think that answers the question! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

7. backwood heavy

backwood heavy Registered Member

Dont be fooled though. They are both called Blazers, like a Bronco and a Bronco II, they are both refered to as broncos. And the years of production between the S-10(small blazer pictured) and the K5(large blazer shown) overlap and most people dont call Fullsizes K5's and the same for the mini's. So call the ad if the truck sounds good and let the owner make the clarification. The fullsizes were produced between 1969 and 1991, and then they changed to an IFS version without the removable top for a year or two when they changed the name to Yukon. The S-10's started their run in 1983 and are I think are still being made today but are being phased out for the Trailblazer things maybe? And then there are some people that call Broncos/Blazers/Jimmys/Ramchargers all the same thing which drives me nuts /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif But whatever, good luck finding a vehicle because Ive just about had it talking to private owners as well as used car dealers trying to buy anything with 4 wheel drive at this point. Im not picky. Ok gonna go call about an 89 Jimmy, wish me luck. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

All full-size Blazers are "K5", or at least, they could be. Except there's no such thing. 1973-1987's are K-10's, not K-5's.

Oh, unless they're a K-1500. But then later they're a V-1500.

Anyway, a full-size Blazer is a full-size Blazer. Some say K/5 and some don't. They are not S-10's which are not real trucks anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

If you want more information and less confusion, I have a web page about it:

Blazer History Page

9. backlash

backlash 1/2 ton status

Backwood Heavy,

Thanks for the clarrification ... but you responded to me. Welcome to the board, in the future, if you'd like to share knowledge to an individual ... respond to that post or they may not get the alert. Does that make sense?

Anyway, I think that the Yukon was and still is the GMC Truck version of the replacement for the K-5. The Chevy version was and is the Tahoe, not to be confused with the Tahoe package for the smaller S-10 Blazer. For our shopper there is no such thing as a 4-door K-5 Blazer ... only the S-10. In '99, Chevy dropped the 2 door version of the full size Tahoe and made it 4 door . That is the reason the 2-door Tahoe sells way over Blue Book.

If I didn't have the best ... the K-5 ... I would certainly be looking for a 2 door Tahoe.

Will they(anyone) ever make anything like a K-5? Why should they? They can sell whatever they make these days.

Shiny, get a K-5, learn some stuff, share some stuff, and be the envy of all.

My truck is not all that nice( compared to most), but there is not a month that goes by where someone will come up to me and say ... "Man, I wish I never sold my K-5". Or, " damn that truck looks good."

Enjoy ...

10. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Just remember:
    S = Sissy
    K= Kicks ARSE!!

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif = /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. gotmud?

gotmud? 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. BrianDamage

BrianDamage 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    All full-size Blazers are "K5", or at least, they could be. Except there's no such thing. 1973-1987's are K-10's, not K-5's.

[/ QUOTE ]

actually, it's a V-10, not K-10

I guess I should add for any newbies that the V10 moniker only applies when buying parts....it still has K5 on the fender, but the parts stores refer to it as a V10 Chevrolet 1/2 ton pickup

13. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Sorry to say that you are wrong.
    The K5 is the blazer
    The K10 is the 1/2ton Pick up
    The K20 is the 3/4ton Pick up
    The K30 is the 1ton Pick up
    and later on
    K10 was 1500
    K20 was 2500
    K30 was 3500
    And as for when the Tahoe/Yukon replaced the Blazer/Jimmy, it was in 95 or 96. The blazer was offered for a couple of years in IFS and no removable top with the name BLAZER, untill they decided to drop the s10 from the small blazer and changed the name to Tahoe.
    If I recall correctly there was a year or 2 between the last 91 straight axle and the first IFS fullsize blazer.
    Now I am not sure about the dates but about the fact that BLAZER was still the name when they went IFS before changing the name, and the platform a little.
    And Shiny,
    Go look for a K5, they are the best, the s10 is a truck unlike some would like to say, but it's not a good truck.
    It's too narrow, too high very unstable, has the IFS which is not the greatest for what we like to do, more of a street suspension, with a highcenter of gravity.

14. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

just confirmed.
    The Blazer was produced from 92-94 with the option of a 6.5TD only in 94. 95 was the first year for the Tahoe/Yukon.
    I think I can trust Kelly Blue Book with that info right guys?
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Iceman knows his shiznit /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

If i was a betting man, i would bet the farm on him. Even if he wheels a Heep /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

16. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Hey my heep is my second vehicle.
    Wait till the next trip and watch what my oil burner can do.
    And by the way I remember the IFS blazer when it came out.
    I wasn't an off roader then and the word was that IFS is the future, and it's the best, and I saw it and drooled.
    Then I bought a 73 and forgot about it all together. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    But it was still in the back of my head so when someone mentionned it, I went on KBB to check, and I was right.

17. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Iceman, beg to differ

I can show you all kinds of Chevy paperwork that refers to any 1/2 ton 4x4 platform -- pickup, Blazer, or Burb -- as a K-10, etc etc.

Chevy never, in their internal documentation, sales stuff, etc, calls the Blazer a K-5. Always K-10. One of the great mysteries is what crack-smokin' fool thought that up.

-- A

18. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Re: Iceman, beg to differ

I can show you the badge on the blazer.
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    I don't care about the internal name, all people go by is the badge name.
    K10 is on all 1/2 ton pick ups, K5 is on all Blazer/Jimmy.
    Please let's not make this into a quarel.
    I think everybody has seen the badges right?

19. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

the insurance companies do it the same way. my 76 jimmy comes up as a 76 k1500
    i order parts for a k5 though. depends on what i am getting for what year i got to ask for, but i order parts that all say k5.
    Grant

20. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

By the way, I wish that sales broshure I had didn't burn in the fire, I had a 76 sales broshure, that laid out all the options including the marvelous chalet blazer as well as the soft top, Bigger tires and wheels, reese hitch, skid plates and they had K5 / K10 / K20 / and K30.
    All with the different options you could have.
    Like you could only have the 400ci small block with the auto tranny, the 205 came with the sm465, and only the 203 came behind the th350. So at least in 76, all their broshures said that.
    Insurance companies like to simplify things, so they put the blazer in the same class as the pick ups.