Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K5 vs ROVER

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by buffblazer, Mar 14, 2006.

1. buffblazer

buffblazer 1/2 ton status

ok guys need your opinions i was out wheelin sunday with my buddy in his 88 rang rover and i was in my 86 k5 well we came upon a steep hill (about 45-50 degrees) and it was covered in snow and jutting rocks and holes. well i dropped it into 2nd and went up it with no trouble at all no slipping of the tires and i did not even have the hubs locked in it was all 2wd. well the rover came up behind me and he has lockers in the front and rear and has all time 4-wheel drive and also has the extra transfer case thats those rovers came with well ok anyway as he started up it in just 4-wheel drive he started slipping and had to lock in his differental to get up it. so whats the deal? i have no lockers and all i have is 33/12.5/15 big O x/t's and he had 31/10.5/17 super swampers. why was i able to make it up and he could'nt? he tried to tell me that it was because he weighted more and because he did not have his differental locked in. did i just hurt his pride or was i at some type of advantage?

2. ankarback

ankarback 1/2 ton status

You might have had lower airpressure than him. That makes a huge difference in snow. I bleleive your K5 is heavier than his rover.

3. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

No idea but all I have ever heard is how great Rovers are off road. Hmmmmmm?

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Your blazer is definatly heaver. Land rovers like Jeeps are overrated. Also for some strange reason K5s climb hills very good. They do most everything else off road good too. Except fit thru tight spaces.:D

5. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

Could also have something to do with driver skill - or lack there of .........Congratulations ! It looks like You are the skilled driver .

Tom

6. hardcore71

hardcore71 Registered Member

Probably just a difference of tires. I can tell you from experience swampers suck in the snow

7. destinbeachman

destinbeachman 1/2 ton status

I was never all that impressed with the older Rovers performance myself,not to mention they have a terrible rep for reliability.But I saw something the other day that blew my mind.I stopped on the side of hwy 98 to help someone out of the "sugar sand" that our beaches are made of.If you have ever been to this part of Florida then you know why it's called that.Anyway,a 4Runner was stuck and a brand new Rover was just backing up to him in the sand.This was one of the shiny new ones with low profile street tires on maybe 19 inch wheels,you know the ones.Well,I'm kinda standing by,ready to get the strap out,expecting to see some embarrassment on the Rover's driver's part.That **** thing pulled him free without missing a beat!Didn't even spin a tire the least bit,which was when it dawned on me-that was was one of the new breed of completely computerized traction-controlled 4WD systems.They are bad-***!Now,realistically,they're no match for biggies,lockers and clearance where the majority of us at CK5 do our wheeling,but it was impressive as **** anyway.Maybe someday someone will make a stand alone system that could be retrofitted to older rigs,just think about that!

8. buffblazer

well i weighed my k5 before i moved and it weighed 4900 and he says his rover weighs about 6000 and also i was running 35 psi in the tires (dont know what he was running) but also with lockers and everything should'nt he have been able to make it up there without locking it in? he says its all time four wheel drive and then add the lockers so i dont know i think you guys are right k5s are just so much better:D

9. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

Last year when we went to tellico for ECBB, we all had to turn around on the side of a mountain because a bunch of rovers/discoveries were stuck and blocking the trail. Later in the day we passed one on the side of the trail, I think he was checking his email, had his laptop out:rolleyes:

10. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

6000lb:eek1: Why do I have a hard time believeing that:confused:

A friend of mine went wheeling with some hummers and he took his k5 with 33" bfg a/t's. The hummers would get stuck in this one mud hole, but he was able to blast right through it. If you look at the vechicles, it doesn't make sence, since hummers have 37" tires and lots more clearance:doah:

11. destinbeachman

Had his laptop out-that sounds about right. Those "Discos" suck.

12. destinbeachman

Had his laptop out-that sounds about right. Those "Discos" suck.Just more Yuppies who bought into the computer created commercials on TV.

13. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Your tires are siped , big difference in traction . Sipes are good , all tires , especially krawlin tires should have them :thumb:

14. buffblazer

well he told me it weighed 6000 pounds now if thats true or not ihave no idea but he says a lot of the weight is from the motor its got a V8 in it and the thing is like a 256 cubic inch v8 (ya i know that sounds weird but its true) and it has no power at all but he says the motor weighs a lot and then he said the transer cases and the body add up the weight (i thought all alumninum was lighter than steel right) so i dont know i think i just hurt his pride because he had lockers and all time 4 wheel drive and could not make it up and i did it in my pretty much stock blazer in two wheel drive :haha:

15. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Guess I was wrong about the weight LRs do wegh more.
    Specs for new Range Rover:
    Wheelbase, in.113.4Overall Length, in.195.0Overall Width, in.75.7Overall Height, in.73. Curb Weight, lbs.5379 Cargo Volume, cu. ft.62.0Standard Payload, lbs.--Fuel Capacity, gals.26.4Seating Capacity5Front Head Room, in.40.2Max. Front Leg Room, in.38.9Rear Head Room, in.38.3Max. Rear Leg Room, in.35.5 Range Rover can tow up to 7700 lb when the trailer is equipped with brakes, 5500 lb without. Maxim.

Then there is the LR3. It weighs 5426 lbs empty :eek1: What a pig.

The V8 is rated at 300 HP@ 5500 rpm 315 torque @ 4000 rpm

16. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Want to know about his motor ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rover_V8

History

The Rover V8 began life as the Buick 215, an all-aluminum engine introduced for the 1961 model year. The compact engine was extremely lightweight, at just 144 kg (318 lb), and capable of high power outputs: the strongest Buick version of this engine rated 200 hp (149 kW), and the very similar Oldsmobile "Jetfire" turbocharged version made 215 hp (160 kW) (both numbers SAE gross). The aluminum engine was very expensive to produce, however, and it suffered considerable problems with oil and coolant sealing, as well as with radiator clogging from use of antifreeze incompatible with aluminum. As a result, GM ceased production of the all-aluminum engine after 1963, although Buick retained a similar iron engine as well as a V6 that would prove to have a very long and successful life.
    As the aluminium block made this engine one of the lightest stock V8s built there was some attempts to use it in racing at Indianapolis. The Australian firm Repco converted this engine for Formula One by reducing it to 3 litres and fitting a single overhead camshaft per bank rather than the shared pushrod arrangement. Repco-powered Brabhams won the F1 championship twice, in 1966 and 1967.
    In January 1964 Rover gave American operations head J. Bruce McWilliams permission to investigate the possible purchase of an American V8 engine for Rover cars. McWilliams realised that the lightweight Buick engine would be ideal for smaller British cars (indeed, it weighed less than many straight-4 engines it would replace). McWilliams and William Martin-Hurst began an aggressive campaign to convince GM to sell the tooling, which they finally agreed to do in January 1965. Retiring Buick engineer Joe Turley also moved to the UK to act as a consultant.
    The demise of the MG Rover Group in 2005 led to a halt in production of the famed Rover V8 after 40 years. However, Land Rover desired for production of the engine to continue, and they arranged for production to restart in Weston-super-Mare under MCT, an engineering and manufacturing company. Although Land Rover has switched to the Jaguar AJ-V8 engine for new applications, MCT will continue limited production of the engine for the indeterminate future, supplying engines for aftermarket and replacement use.

Theres more if you go to the linky :thumb:

17. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

18. SICNICK

SICNICK Registered Member

Im I the only one who will call BS? Do you KNOW how steep a 40-45 degree hill is, but that is beside the point, you still say you made it up in 2wd and he didnt, The locking option in his rover is a Center or (centre since it is english:haha: ) locking differential. Anyway, these are a COMPLETELY different setup up and shouldn't be confused with a locking differential. All that locker does in the Rover is split all the engines power a true 50/50 between front and rear axles, ( same as any of our transfer cases) Most rovers, in my personal experience, still have open diffs, NOT the new ones obviously.

Anyway, not to bash you to hard Rovers are HUGE pieces of Sh*t, like most english cars, hahah. New ones are good cause they are now owned by Ford(atleast american) Id take my trusty rusty chevy over a Rover ANY day, even if I was on an African Safari!:eek1:

19. hans999999

hans999999 1/2 ton status

kid i know has a 1991 range rover stock. decent on trails and offroad ive seen it pretty flexed out. we have a 4x4 shop that deals only with rovers around here and they got some pretty badass ones the guy told us they have about 15+ inches of travel stock. i dunno about 15 inches but for its weird shape and size they do alright. i cant stand them tho. range rovers = $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to maintain and lift/make wheelable. too much for me

20. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

Its a chevy blazer vs a land rover... explation should be obvious :doah: