Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K5 vs. Suburban Which should I buy for a do everything vehicle?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by OffRoad, Jan 26, 2003.

1. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

ok. i've got the money and i'm actively looking.
    i'm 19 y/o. this would be my first vehicle. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

it's do to these 2. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

i want storage, lots of room and manuverability (sp).

i like the size of a sub but i worry it might be too much for the trails. (woods trails, some atv----problem, some power line----not problem.)

pickups are out cause you can't fit anybody in a pickup. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

i'm looking in the $3000-4000 CND range. either one MUST have the diesel. for mileage and the ease of repair, general toughness, million other reasons...

i CAN NOT afford the mileage of a big block right now or a 350.

i want a balance between wheeling and on-road and girls /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif. (young guys guys will know what i mean when i say girls)

girls (for the most part) like a chrome shocked rice boy car, /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif they really do. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gifeasy to get in and out of, sounds nice, and has "cool" lights. they go kind of fast and say tough guy who likes to go fast and have fun.

big lifted sub/k5 screams REDNECK /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gifin huge neon letters and also says dumb male who like this big smelly truck (remem it's got diesel power) and it's hard to get in and out of and it's loud and goes slow (before you guys scream about that, a stock any car would got faster than your trucks, i've accepted that, so should you /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif)

i'll apoligize about the "dumb male" thing. i know you guys aren't dumb, but for some reason guys in trail are made out to be dumb rednecks.

if i'm completly wrong about the girl thing, than for the love of god, correct me. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

my friend says i should get a blazer cause subs are too big, and it's usually just me in it anyway /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif. but i wnat to be able to take lots of people *cough, girls cough* wheeling. you know people you meet at work that sound like they might like wheeling but have never been. (i've wheeled atv's for years)

i'll be honest, i really want the sub, but if it's gonna be too much for me, i'll get a blazer.

t

question: can a guy 6'2" comfortably lay/sleep in the back of a k5/sub with the rear seat(s) removed? is there enough room?

2. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Dunno about the rest, but girls who actually like to wheel won't mind a lifted truck if you're taking them wheeling (and whatever). But if you want a regular date-mobile, not always a wheeling date mobile, I can tell you that skirts, heels and a lifted truck don't cut it. You may like it, but I don't think girls will.

Maybe you could find some beater truck to wheel and get a car too??

3. Topdown

Topdown 1/2 ton status

Ok... while I am a decade away from being 19, I think I can speak for all of us when I say, ya, we understand the girl thing.

Second, between the Sub and the K5 (1st gen) its going to be almost completely preference. The Sub pretty much whoops a$$ on trails like the K5 so I call that a draw. You will have a longer wheelbase and longer rear driveshaft on the Burb which typically makes lifting a little easier in some respects. Being 6'4", I sleep very comfortably in the back of my K5 and have used it as a tent and a "bed" (if you catch my meaning there) and it works well for as a tent and very very well for a bed. The major benefit for me when I made the decision between the two was turning circle, parking, and that I could remove the top and run "Topdown" on nice days/nights. Cant do that in a burb unless you chop the top and have some kind of custom top made. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif If you want to take a "lot" of people wheeling, you can run a bench seat that folds forward and hold you and 5 "people" in the K5. otherwise you can run buckets and hold you and 4 "people". As far as room... the burb has the K5 beat, no question.

So, its going to be a person choice. Personally, my choice was the K5. Shorter wheelbase means tighter turning, easier parking, will fit a big block or a big diesel for that matter. Will hold me, all my campling gear, extra parts, recovery gear, etc... dog, wife, essentials and will still wheel the heck out of 95% of the Jeeps that I find. In addition to that, the K5 was lighter than the burb and that meant it was/is negligibly easier on the squishy parts (I.e. Suspension, axles, etc...) whether thats true or not reamins to be seen however.

Good luck on your decision. I think either way, you will be very glad you made it.

-Ryan /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

damn!! i love those short skirts and the heels!!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif what am i gonna do?? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

nerf bars? would that work? i totally never though about that, i always have pants/shorts on (obviously).

i can see how it would be difficult to get in a 10 inch w/ 44's. but a 4 inch with 33's?? yeah i guess it would still be tough.

hmmmmm. definatly a question for the gang here. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif(pssst /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif, start chiming in ideas guys, how does your girl get in??) /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

what could i do besides gettting a car?

note: i should tell everyone that besides the blazer/sub thing there's also a car in the running.

i'm also thinking about buying a car. 91-96 Chev Caprice 9C1 (cop car). rwd, auto, 350 LT1 (vette engine), heavy duty everything. paint it gloss black and go. these cars are friggin sweet.

if i could afford the 9C1 and the burb i would. that would be sooo sweet.

5. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I've seen steps that fold up... You could go really cool like the Dodge that was on TRUCKS! a couple weeks ago, which automatically go down when the door opens... Or you can get some that you pull down yourself... that way they're outta the way when you don't need them, but you and your chick don't have to step so far... Or maybe an elevator?? /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. Dale fan

Dale fan 1/2 ton status

I'd say go for the /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif While it doesn't have quite as much room as a /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif you'll appreciate that tight turning ability. The removable top would be a nice feature for cruising around in those warmer months and would kind of make up for that redneck factor. You could put some nerfs or steps on but you could always carry a stepladder right behind the seat and pull it out for your lady friend. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

big lifted sub/k5 screams REDNECK in huge neon letters and also says dumb male who like this big smelly truck (remem it's got diesel power) and it's hard to get in and out of and it's loud and goes slow (before you guys scream about that, a stock any car would got faster than your trucks, i've accepted that, so should you )

I dono about the trucks you have been looking at but there are trucks that will run on a car not every truck has 44's my freinds dads truck has 35's and can bake the tires at 30mph and slide off the road.

And who told you rice sounds nice?

8. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

well the up/down electric steps are all fine and dandy but not their price. I remember somewhere hearing that theyre like $260 bucks a side. Then they dont make a kit to fit our trucks so u have alotta custom fab to do. Now as for a 4" lift and 33's thats what my truck has and my mom who is like 5'3" (about average girl height around here) made me fall outta my side of the truck laughing, when she was tryin to get in. Its easy to do if theyll listen to how u tell em, but of course im sure you wouldnt mind givin em a "boost" /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

I'm 5'5". I can get in my rig, (4" lift and 35's) with a step (I now have the steps you can see on 4x4iron's website). I had regular hoop steps before that and could get in OK.

BUT that's not in heels and skirt. I really don't think a normal height girl can get into a lifted rig with a tight little skirt on, in heels (well, they could, but not without some embarrassment).

Why don't you ask some of the girls you know what they think?

10. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

My gf is 5'3. I have 10" of lift and 39.5's. The steps help alot but she still complains about how there is no handles to grab onto. Thats my next little project. Otherwise she loves the Jimmy. When my trucks had 4.56's and 35's I could smoke most of those little ricers off the line.

11. Kevin108

Kevin108 Registered Member

I've got a longbed pickup, 4" lift, 33s... Trails are no problem, only dragged ass a couple times, the step bumper's plenty tough. No such thing as a 1-point turn though. When I bought it, I needed a work truck. Not anymore. Now I wish I had a K5...or a quad cab! 4" lift isn't too hard to get into. The rule is open the girl's door and offer to help them in automatically, don't make them ask. Only had 1 girl (out of ??) rip a skirt so far, so 4" is a conservative lift even for the girls... As far as mileage, even my 350 TBI gets 12 mpg w/ 200,000 miles and needing 4.11s.

12. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

no fawken gay a$$ rice /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif rocket will smoke my blazer unless it has happy gas or alot of dough into the motor, if you want girls that like that sh!t you need to go after different chicks( ones that like chevys /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif)

13. 89 k5 blazer

89 k5 blazer Registered Member

would defantly go with the k5 because of the shorter wheel base and better monverablity then the suburben. also better stablity. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

14. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

ok, about the ricer thing. sorry. when i say sound nice, i mean most of them have "good" stereo's. not the exhaust. i can apprecate a ricer for what it is. a chick mobile. those drive those becuse for some strange reason chicks dig em. i don't know why and you don't know why, but they do.

i don't mean ALL chicks, just some.

basically i ahve to turn the former "ricer chicks" into "wheeler chicks". this is hard. i think the k5 might be better for that cause it has the drop top. it'll help dim the redneck sign.

but i want the sub.

i still want to paint the hole sub flat black, which isn't going to help with the chicks any. on the other hand, if i can get her to ride in the rig, i know she must at least sort of trust me.

damn i'm at a total impass here!! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif chcicks vs. wheeling!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif it's the ultimate battle!! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

i'll put on nerf bars, and offer to help them in, as skigirl said. thanks for the advice.

question: is a sub longer than a lwb pickup?

15. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Here's what ya do. Like everyone said, the SUB will pretty much plow through anything the K5 leads it into. I know. We have a few subs in our predominately K5 Club. We have never had to leave one behind.

So Here's what ya do. I've said this to a few SUB owners and they all like the idea but no one wants to try it.... Chop the SUB down to just a little longer than a K5.

Best of both worlds... End of story. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

16. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

i'm very intrigued by this idea. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

but i don't know what you mean exactly... like make it into a "tahoe"? or what?

like brian wadels (sp?) sub in top truck challenge?

i don't quite know what you mean.

thanks for the trail proess affirmation. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

17. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

never thought about it but I guess you can fit more chicks into a burb, as far as girls liking rice thats typical because most chicks aren't to bright when it comes to cars, only if they knew what was up, but just my experience alone I've had six girls in my ride once /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif when I went wheelin, if I was you I'd get a /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif they look better and work better, forget diesel though stick with a small block and exercise the light foot method, diesel must be cheap where your at because around here its the same if not more then gas. for the budget you have you ought to be able to get a pretty good set up I scored getting mine for 2g's and only done minor swaps (axle) a 73 or 74 would be cool because they have full removable tops /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

diesel is cheaper than gas here. by like 5 or 7 (sometimes 10) cents.
    /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

19. MJB774X

MJB774X 1/2 ton status

whats the difference between cndoller verse usdoller? also 5-7-10 cents big deal /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif, but diesels may get better mpg, I don't know though

20. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

on another note. i thought about doing stuff to the sub to "rice it up" a bit. like neon interior stuff /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif, or maybe little lights all the way around the roof on the inside. that might look cool and draw in the chicks.

i don't know, i'll ask some girls i know... wait, i don't know any girls. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif i'll have to get eh girls online here to help me out. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif