Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

k5 w/stock 1/2 ton axles go with lockers and beef'm up or buy new axles?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by az88k5, Oct 29, 2004.

1. az88k5

az88k5 1/2 ton status

k5 w/stock 1/2 ton axles go with lockers and beef\'m up or buy new axles?

I have a 88 k5 blazer with 4' inches of lift on Pro Comp front springs that ride like [censored]. To stiff of a ride. The back is okay with stock springs with overload leaf and a echobit shackleflip. I'm running BFG AT's 35x12.5x15's. I'm not a crazy rock crawler like my friend "RollMaster" Juan! But love to go on rough roads and terrain I run into while hunting and don't want to have any rough terrain hold me back. I was talking to my friend Juan and was thoughing the idea around of putting coilovers on my Blazer down the road. I love the way juan's truck rides with coilovers. But we are talking $$$. So should do I beef up my front 1/2 ton alxe, buy a Ford 9" in the rear so I can run a 6 lug pattern still and then get lockers and go with nice ez riding front spings for now. Then put money into coilovers on a 1/2 ton? Or go big and buy new axles 3/4 ton or 1 ton and then buying lockers if I want to go with coilovers down the road? Keep in mind I am not a crazy rock crowler just using my truck as a extreme offroad hunting and recreational vehicle. Just don't want to spend money in the wrong parts if I want to go with coilovers down the raod. The next thing right know is getting the Super Short Slip Yoke Eliminator kit from JB converstions and a new drive shaft, and a tranny cooler. So I have some time to think of axle and suspension stuff. Just looking for some expert advice. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. divorced

divorced 3/4 ton status

Re: k5 w/stock 1/2 ton axles go with lockers and beef\'m up or buy new axles

Maybe a 6 lug SF 14 bolt for the rear? A 3/4 ton front is no stronger than what you have now.

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm not a crazy rock crawler like my friend "RollMaster" Juan! But love to go on rough roads and terrain I run into while hunting and don't want to have any rough terrain hold me back.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you aren't crawlin' stock axles will be fine . If you were to crawl , you could just get Superior shafts . Rob runs 1/2 ton gear and did Moab , with Juan and and the AZ crew , without breaking . And on my DD Blazer I run a locker out back on a 1/2 ton axle /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. az88k5

az88k5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    I'm not a crazy rock crawler like my friend "RollMaster" Juan! But love to go on rough roads and terrain I run into while hunting and don't want to have any rough terrain hold me back.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you aren't crawlin' stock axles will be fine . If you were to crawl , you could just get Superior shafts . Rob runs 1/2 ton gear and did Moab , with Juan and and the AZ crew , without breaking /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Superior shafts is what Juan was talking about for the front I believe. That is what I ment by beefing up the front. He was talking about a Ford 9" I think is what he said for the rear. I know he said ford something for the rear. It's a heavier 1/2 ton rear axle. Am I right?

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I would get some 3/4 ton axles just for the lower gears. I think it's cheaper too do a 3/4 ton axle swap then too regear the factory 1/2 axles. Granted, the front won't be any stronger, but the 14 bolt FF in the rear sure will be.

6. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I would get some 3/4 ton axles just for the lower gears. I think it's cheaper too do a 3/4 ton axle swap then too regear the factory 1/2 axles. Granted, the front won't be any stronger, but the 14 bolt FF in the rear sure will be.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. pauly383

Beefing up the front will mean new shafts and u-joints , which are pricey for the good ones . If you do not lock the front and keep it open , and only hunt and light wheel , you should not break fronts very often if at all . Myself and others just carry spare shafts for the front . The rear should be locked for better traction , and some good shafts there if you can afford them , otherwise just carry spares for that too . Of course you can go with lower geared 8 lug axles , of which 3/4 ton is still the same 10 bolt or d44 front . It all depends on what you plan to do , and how much CASH you HAVE to SPEND /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

Re: k5 w/stock 1/2 ton axles go with lockers and beef\'m up or buy new axles?

If you have an '88 you should have an NP208 t-case-- I don't know of an SYE for a 208... just the 241...
    Anyway... I would not run lockers if you stay with the half tons. I would just run a posi like Eaton or Tru-trac (have one for sale for a 10b /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif ) But my recommendation is to get a 14b f/f for the rear. Detroit lockers for the open diff versions start at $350 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. Then while you're putting the posi in up front match the gear ratio to your new 14b. Going this route you'll also wanna acquire some d44 8 lug hubs and backing plates to match the 14b's 8 lug rear. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

9. pauly383

I tell you what , come do the light wheeling trip on 11/14 in Florence Jct with the AZ guys , your truck will do it stock ( and Marvs buggy will do all the rocks on the side you wouldn't think about walking over ) . See what the other guys run on their trucks , and what works /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. az88k5

az88k5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    If you have an '88 you should have an NP208 t-case-- I don't know of an SYE for a 208... just the 241...
    Anyway... I would not run lockers if you stay with the half tons. I would just run a posi like Eaton or Tru-trac (have one for sale for a 10b /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif ) But my recommendation is to get a 14b f/f for the rear. Detroit lockers for the open diff versions start at $350 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif. Then while you're putting the posi in up front match the gear ratio to your new 14b. Going this route you'll also wanna acquire some d44 8 lug hubs and backing plates to match the 14b's 8 lug rear. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe I have a 241 TC in my 88 with a new 700r4 trans

11. az88k5

az88k5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I tell you what , come do the light wheeling trip on 11/14 in Florence Jct with the AZ guys , your truck will do it stock ( and Marvs buggy will do all the rocks on the side you wouldn't think about walking over ) . See what the other guys run on their trucks , and what works /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for the invite. I will see what I've got going on, sounds like fun. I will talk to Juan also.

12. fad2blk99

fad2blk99 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I believe I have a 241 TC in my 88 with a new 700r4 trans

[/ QUOTE ]
    Not if it's stock...

13. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

I say let me at your truck! /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif (mad scientist screaming)
    Ah well if it's not a 241, you have what I have and I've run 208s for some time now. Just get a solid skid plate for it and call it a day and perhaps a Highangledriveline.

14. az88k5

az88k5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I say let me at your truck! /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif (mad scientist screaming)
    Ah well if it's not a 241, you have what I have and I've run 208s for some time now. Just get a solid skid plate for it and call it a day and perhaps a Highangledriveline.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey RollMaster go to the specifications part on this site and look at 1988 it lists both Transfer Cases NP208 and the NP241 what the hell was going that year with GM were they having problems making up there mind on what they were doing! /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

15. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

89 was the intro year for the 241. The only 88's that got 241's were the new body style IFS crap.

88-91 was a confusing time for GM with the body style changeover taking as long as it did.

The best way to know for sure is to crawl under and check the ID tag. It's a round reddish colored tag which will say what T-case it is for sure. Even if you did have the 241, you wouldn't be able to run the Super Short SYE kit due to the mechanical speedo. The super short kit is only for the electronic speedo versions (90 and newer)

Rene

16. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Question. What gear ratio is in your axles currently?

3/4 and 1 ton is NOT necessary for a rough road, fire road, backwoods truck in AZ. Hell it is not even necessary if you want to rockcrawl with 35's in AZ.

If you want 100% piece of mind that you have an unbreakable rearend then get a 14bff and put a locker in it. (this is the reason I have one in my truck) You can run it in 6 or 8 lug depending on what you want to do. Or convert the front axle to 8 lug to match.

If you have a good gear ratio like 3.73 or 4.10 then I would drop a rear locker and a set of chromoly rear axleshafts in it and be done with the rear. You might also invest in a front locker. Don't do chromoly shafts in the front unless you are made of money. By a set of spare axleshafts and the tools to change one out should you break something.

The 208 doesn't have a SYE kit like the 241 has, but you don't really need it until you get alot of rear suspension travel. I also run a 208 with no problems like Juan does.

If you are going to do a coilover like Juan I would have 2 trains of thought.

1. Go light and build a set of 1/2 ton axles with all the goodies and chop the truck up and keep the tire size 37" or smaller.

2. Go big. Dana 60 and 14bff like Juan has and do whatever you want, weight whatever you want, and run whatever tire you want.

Harley

17. mr_beer

mr_beer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] That's what i'm doing /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

18. therobzilla

therobzilla 1/2 ton status

Ok,

I'm going to throw in my .02 worth of opinion here.

If you are not going to be hard on the skinny pedal, then keep what you have and add at least one locker in the rear of your blazer. Do not spend any more $ on SYE, or any other things. Just go on a few trip with us and check out what other are running. Do not spend any money on additional axles in AZ. There is nothing you can't do in this state if you are not going to romp on the skinny bedal. If you are going to run a 14 bolt in the rocks in this state, you better have tires to offset the lack of ground clearance you are going to get with a 14bolt. We call the 14 bolt in AZ in the rocks the boat anchor. And believe me it's boat anchor without big tires.

DJ, Damagegoods in AZ use to run 10 bolts on 35" tires for many years, and never had problems, and he runs some pretty hardcore trails.

I run just 1/2 ton stuff, 12 bolt and a D44 with cromo stuff in both axles, and have literally flogged the stuff to the extreme, now I only run 35" MTR's but I will run any trail I can.

Do go crazy on spending money on your rig, until you run some trails with us, and then you can figure out what's right for you. I wasted alot of money on modifications that I did not need because I listened to forums and others without actually running some trails with others.

There are plenty of seat on these runs, show up and grab an extra one, and see what we do, then make some decisions.

You are welcome to ride with me on the next run if you like.

Rob

19. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Don't fall for that 1 ton crap!!! I say don't!!! It is over rated, this from is coming from a guy who fell for it. In order to justify my axles I now want to budget for a doubler, new gears and 40's. I say run it for the season. Modify it as neccessary, and go from there. AZ is a funny place, most of us try to get out twice a month, big tires are rarely found (the width doesn't help much hear), and under built is rarely an issue. It is about the wheeling, just as much as it is about the people you wheel with. If you need a winch/strap that is cool, if you want to use a bypass that is cool, if you want to ride along that is cool too. It is a no fuss way of wheeling.

Bottom line, run it have fun, find your limits/weaknesses before you guess at them, and go from there. /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I agree 100%. If I had it to do all over again, I'd still be 3/4 ton, still have 35s, and I'd spend the money on lockers, gears, and a winch instead of big tires and axles. And I'd actually have some time/money to take my girlfriend out once in a while.