Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

k5 wants to keep going when i stop?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by wraenking, Jan 10, 2004.

1. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

when i get to red lights, it suddenly is seeming like the choke is stuck maybe?

anyone have this happen?

2. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

what,idles up high?? or?? just wont stop??

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Check to see if the throttle is actually returning all the way back to the idle position when you let off the pedal. A sticking linkage, a bad throttle cable, or a broken/missing throttle return spring can all contribute to this. There should be 2 return springs. One fits inside the other and they attach to the same points at both ends. Make sure they're both installed.

4. riverbend73

riverbend73 Newbie

I had the same thing happen to me. I don't drive my 91 k5 all that much. On the day that I did the throttle was stuck open. Kinda freaky when in town and your truck is wanting to go 40. This is where it gets weird. I pull into home depot and I pop the hood. The entire top of the engine block around the throttle body was packed with walnuts. Apparetly the squirrels thought it was a good place for storage. So I crawl in and start tossing walnuts out of the truck. People kept stopping asking if they could lend a hand. My reply "No thanks, squirrels just packed my engine compartment with walnuts I should be fine." I did not realize how many people were capable of burn-outs. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I had the same thing happen to me. I don't drive my 91 k5 all that much. On the day that I did the throttle was stuck open. Kinda freaky when in town and your truck is wanting to go 40. This is where it gets weird. I pull into home depot and I pop the hood. The entire top of the engine block around the throttle body was packed with walnuts. Apparetly the squirrels thought it was a good place for storage. So I crawl in and start tossing walnuts out of the truck. People kept stopping asking if they could lend a hand. My reply "No thanks, squirrels just packed my engine compartment with walnuts I should be fine." I did not realize how many people were capable of burn-outs. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Now that is funny, friggin' squirrels anyway. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

6. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

hahaha /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

mine was ding this, it had the electric choke on it..started acting goofy and wouldnt shut/close the butterfly when it was suppost, so it would run shitty when it was cold, then when the choke came on it would stay on and would be running at around 1000 when i was stopped at a light or something, so i put a manual choke on it so i could control the choke, when its cold i leave it on and keep it running at a higher rpm like that so i dont stall, then when it gets warmed up i just open it up all the way

8. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

I had a problem once with a brake booster, it idled fine in park, but when you hit the brake pedal, the booster leaked vac and the idle went up, and I only had manual brakes(hard pedal), so until I could fix it, I just plugged the booster vac line, then the idle stayed low, and I just had manual brakes

9. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

well i will pop her open this morning to see what has happened. hopefully no walnuts!! lol

int he last month and a half, ivs noticed my choke light would come when i was stopped at lights, then go off once i started going again. if it is the choke, i like the idea of a manual one. is it a pain in the ass?

oh yeah...............

NJ DMV sucks!!!

i failed for the second time on my emissions. 1st time i scored a 2900, this time after changing the egr valve and pcv valve i was down to 2400, i need to be around 2000

any ideas

did i lose all of you?

thanks guys /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

pretty sure it probobly is your choke, i just didnt feel like finding out why mine was acting wierd, and liked the idea of being able to control it better. there a sinch to put it, you can by the "help!" kits for a manual choke conversion for are carbs...got mine at pepboys..