Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K5 with non-k5 dash?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NeXuS1, Apr 24, 2000.

1. NeXuS1

NeXuS1 Registered Member

I was wondering if its possible or if anyone has ever tried to put a dash from like a 92 blazer into a K5? i personally dont like the dash in my 83 jimmy, it was a pain to put a cd player in and would be harder to mount my LCD screens and truck computer project in.

We are Blind to the worlds within us, waiting to be born.

2. Dave

Dave Registered Member

The bottom half of our dashes (the metal part) is supposed to be welded to the cab. The 92-99 dash is completely bolt in. With some major cutting/modding, it could be done. But it wouldn't be easy.

Dave Hiller
    90 K-5
    "The Anti-SUV"

3. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    Before Shawn Spickler took over offroad.com the individual incharge had planned on putting a 96 Fullsize dash into the truck. I don't know what ever came of it, or how hard it would be, but I've been thinking of the same thing.

The best of thing that I could think of is get a job at a junk yard and start ripping parts out of newer trucks and see if they fit. I'd assume that if they are the same width and have the same shape along the window & height, it should be workable. You may beable to cover up any large mistakes with one of those stupid dash carpets. (why people would ever use one of those is unbeknown to me. I think a cracked dash is in better taste)

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=red>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties
    http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

A year of so Back I ran accross a picture in a Mag with about an 82 truck with the new dash in it. Guy really did a sweet job. I seem to recall there is a width issue. I don't remeber if the new dash is narrow or wide.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper

5. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

there was a guy from IL with a custom '80's extended cab p/u. it was yellow with a dark green splash coming up the front fenders and doors. it was featured twice in PFWOR mag. once when the truck was a regular cab and again when it was an extended cab. The guy did an awesome job of putting a '96 dash in it. He used the old coloum though until he could get a one ton steering coloum that didn't have an air-bag. It said that he had to cut the dash and then fiberglass it to make it work. No splicing of wires had to be done either. oh... I do have the mag here at school! PFW&OR Jan. 1998 pg. 32-33. It's a hell of a truck! I'm sure that you could retrofit the newer dash to the K5, good luck!

NEVER been stuck... *yet*

6. 1badgmc

1badgmc Registered Member

I've been looking into doing this myself on my '84. I talked to a guy once who was working on getting things collected for the swap. The '88-'98 dash is 1" shorter than our older dashes, which works out to a mere 1/2" on each end. Not bad at all if you ask me. I plan to get a '97 or '98 dash and get a 3/4 ton or 1 ton pocket to go in place of the passenger airbag. I think the biggest hassle would be getting all the guages and A/C controls hooked up and working right.

7. NeXuS1

NeXuS1 Registered Member

I knew it could be done, but wasnt sure how much work would be needed. As nice as it would be to have a newer dash its just too much work for me. plus i wouldnt have much help unless i paid someone and thats just not right. IF any of you guys come across some pictures of a new dash in a K5 i'd love to see it.

We are Blind to the worlds within us, waiting to be born.

8. Captkaos

Captkaos 1/2 ton status

You mean something Like this?

This is a '87 1 ton with a new model dash in it. Like 1badgmc said, it is shorter, so it will work. Getting all the other stuff to work would be challenging, but sweet.
    [​IMG]

Chris Lucas
    http://www.wwisp.com/~captkaos

9. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Re: You mean something Like this?

That looks nice, but ol'boy might want to look into power windows. Looks like that's gonna be tough to roll the ones down that are on there. The new Chevy's with Man. Windows have em mounted lower on the door to help out some.

Pretty cool either way.

Kyle
    89K5