Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K5 wont start on its own

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Sparky, Mar 10, 2001.

1. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    Today I was messing with one of my break lights because the bulb was loose. My brake light works now, but i created another problem. Now my 78 wont start when I turn the key. The starter solenoid does not recieve any juice on the signal wire. I tested that with a volt meter while a friend turned the key, and it did not recieve any juice. I checked all of the fuses under the dash, and they are good. I can start my truck by using a screwdriver as a jumper across the solenoid. I thought maybee the ignition switch was out. I tried to test it using a voltmeter where the wires go into the steering column. I found which wires are for the turn signal, which are constant, but I was unable to find one that went from being 0 to 12 volts when the starter switch was engaged. Does that mean the switch is bad or can it be something else? What else should I check? Is there an inline fuse on anything that I may have blown while messing with the break ligt? Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Sparky

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5
    <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by sparky on 03/10/01 10:47 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Re: Start switch problem

You might try and check the park/neutral saftey switch. This keeps you from starting it in gear. Sometimes only the park side of the switch stops working so try starting it in neutral. Mine sometimes won't start untill I wiggle the shifter. Of corse all this goes out the door if you have a stick. Hope this helps.

'71 Blazer CST with alot of rust

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

The Key is actully hooked to a rod that runs down the colum and the switch is not up near the key as you would think. The actual switch is on the top of the colum under the dash. You will see a second Harness if you follow the turn signal harness back. It will plug in to a curved block on the colum with a single rod going into it. That's the switch.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

4. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)

Well I looked at the park/neutral safety switch and the ignition switch. I know for sure where the park/neutral saftey switch is, but not too sure about the igintion switch. Is the ignition switch where the wireing harness with 5-7 wires going into the steering column is? How do you check both the ignition and park/neutral saftety switch? I used a volt meter and found out which wires going into the column are for the turn signals and which ones are constant hot, but I cant find one that is hot only when the key is in the start position. Let me know asap as I am getting real tired of starting my blazer with a screw driver.

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5