Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

k5?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ddawg, May 6, 2002.

1. ddawg

ddawg Registered Member

Okay, this is prolly a stupid question. Are all Blazers K5's or is that a specific package. I've seen rigs with K5 badges and some with custom deluxe, etc. My '90 is bare bones stock with a scottsdale badge on the topper and 1500 on the door. It has no other trim. Feel free to verbally flog me if this is a ridiculous question.

2. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

Yea, all blazers are k5's. I think they have different packages like the one you mentioned.

3. ddawg

ddawg Registered Member

Thanks! I thought so, but began to doubt myself. Also, thanks for being kind with a dumb question.

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Nope they are not all K5's /forums/images/icons/smile.gif yours is a V designation. Serious. The last couple years after the trucks got a new body the old body was redesignated as a V instead of a K. But it is the same truck and everbody on the face of the planet will still call it a K5.
    Now there are S series Blazers. And for some god awful reason GM decided the "Blazer" name is now a S truck and Tahoe was what the last of the fullsize 2 door's that Replaced the K5 was called. There was some thought that a New fullsize might come out and even a close to production ready show truck exists and it is called the K5. No other name just K5. It has the current "Silverado" style body. It is a 4 door sort of. It has some narrow doors to make rear seat entry easier. I would buy one if it was available. Problem is it may never be available. The show truck was built on the then existing 2 door Tahoe platform that GM nolonger makes. Hit this link to see a picture.
    http://www.wieck.com/public/*2PV_021384

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

ugh that's ugly. looks like a cross between an avalanche and an izuzu amigo.

6. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Everytime I go into AutoZone I have to designate that my Blazer is a V10 blazer because they don't list a K5 for my year. The funny thing is one of the counter guys actually said "You have a V10 in that thing??" haha.

7. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

That's why I love CK5. I learn something new everyday./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

8. ChevBlazin

ChevBlazin 1/2 ton status

I kinda like that concept K5. I had a guy tell me his Blazer was a K10, factory 3/4 ton, was he full of it? What I can't understand is why K5? If 1/2 ton trucks are K10, 3/4 ton K20 and so on....

9. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

He's full of it. All Blazers were K5's up until the late 80's when they started calling the 1/2 ton Blazers and Subs the V10's. Blazers never came from the factory with anything stronger than 1/2 ton axles. Even the military CUCV Blazers have 10 bolt axles front and rear.

Chevy was K5, K10, K20, K30. etc.

GMC was K5, K15, K25, K35, etc.

10. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

my '87 says K5 on the front fender, but as stated above, it shows up at autozone as V10. Are the 2wd blazers K5's? I thought that K meant 4wd and C meant 2wd so that would make it a C5? Do the new "K5"s come with a removable hard top?

11. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Good question on the 2wd Blazer thing, might just have to venture over to the 2wd board and ask....../forums/images/icons/smile.gif

The K5 concept truck had a removeable top. It wasn't fiberglass though, some sort of composite materials.