Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

k5redrocker=Someone here or virus? Beware.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 76chevy, Sep 1, 2002.

1. 76chevy

76chevy 1/2 ton status

I recieved an email from someone called k5redrocker@yahoo.com with an image attatched called tour1-2x1[1].jpg (1.8 KB). Since I'm on a Mac and there are no known viruses for the Mac OSX operating system, I tried to open it.

I'm a Graphic Designer by profession and I can open almost any type of image file but I couldn't open this one. The image editing software I have wouldn't read it. It crashed a program called Graphics Converter which will read any type of image file. It acted like it was trying to run something.

Everyone please be aware someone may be trying to target the users of this site with a virus. It has happened before and it will probably happen again.

2. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Recieved this one myself...but since i reserve my real email for buds and family it hit my hotmail junk file...so i just deleated it...

Azblazer

3. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Thanx for the heads up!

4. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I never open anything from persons unknown and am very skeptical of unsolicited stuff

thanks for heads up.
    did you search the web for it?

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

ditto on that one mj.

6. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Did you know you can receive infected emails even from people you know?

There are viruses out there that use your outlook contact list to fill the "from" field of the emails. Others search your web cache for email addresses. So even if your "uncle Bob" is not infected but uncle Bob's friend Tim is and has him and you on his list, you might get an infected virus as if it was from Uncle Bob and uncle Bob might get one as if it were coming from you.

Those email viruses really suck. Especially if you're using MS Outlook.

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

that is the most common way they come
    looking like someone you know sent them
    if I am not expecting an email from 'uncle bob' and one shows up with an attachment I will call 'uncle bob' before I even think about opening it.
    I know that is not fool proof but I have yet to get nailed (knock on wood) when several friends were passing a few worms around.
    the new stuff seems to get people with kids through MSNim friends lists.
    I removed that IM proggy as it was incredibly invasive
    tried the Miranda version much smaller, safer

8. Pure Insanity

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Did you know you can receive infected emails even from people you know?

There are viruses out there that use your outlook contact list to fill the "from" field of the emails. Others search your web cache for email addresses. So even if your "uncle Bob" is not infected but uncle Bob's friend Tim is and has him and you on his list, you might get an infected virus as if it was from Uncle Bob and uncle Bob might get one as if it were coming from you.

Those email viruses really suck. Especially if you're using MS Outlook.

[/ QUOTE ] Yeah they are Klez virus. Been there done that. what a PIA to get rid of too! My wife spent a solid day and part of the next trying to get rid of it. It sent it to some friends of ours. Sandi went over and wiped out her hard drive and rebooted the system w/ the recovery disk and was done in a few hrs.

Im skeptical of names I dont know too but anything w/ K5 in it Ill normally open. Thats one of the reasons I started using Yahoo mail for my "public" Email. They have virus scanning.

9. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

I had the same thing, that little bitch Klez. It kept showing up in my outlook as 'undeliverable mail' to people in my address book. Wiped out everything, and had to do the complete HD wipe and recover. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

10. Pure Insanity

My computer was sending out Emails in the name of a friend of my wife. It hit everyone in Sandis adress book BUT her! LOL!

11. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

That's why I don't use my address book, there are no addresses in it. I've got them all written down on sticky pads /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif