Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K5's and torque

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Muley, Oct 3, 2002.

1. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

K5\'s and torque

This stems from a debate that me and a buddy at work have. I have considered swapping in a Cummins or CAT diesel into my '85. He thinks that there will be way to much torque. He thinks that there is no way you would be able to reinforce the frame to handle it. While the new Cummins that Dodge is using is rated at 305hp and 555 foot pounds of torque. I think getting a Cummins out of an older Dodge would be a lot milder.

On the flip side I know some of you out there have some serious horsepower and torque being produced by your engines.

So my question is do you think a K5 could handle a torque of big diesel? Assuming that the axles and so forth are up to snuff.

How much ponies and twist does our rig produce?

2. Robbie6987

Robbie6987 1/2 ton status

Re: K5\'s and torque

Been dreaming of doin this my self, just waiting to win the lottery /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

3. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

id say if you have the money do it and find out.let us know and do a tech article on how you did it /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

4. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

I have been dreaming of it ever sense I had my '83 7 years ago. I have heard on average it is about 10k to have some one do it, but that is with a new engine I believe. Need to find a late 90's rear end totalled to get the motor. All though that money factor always comes into play.

They say a diesel is good for a million miles so what a couple hundred thousand on the ticker?

5. txbluethunder

txbluethunder 1/2 ton status

if i were to do it...i'd box the frame and box in an X between the t-case and the rear shocks so the frame can't twist from the torque between teh t-case and the rear axle.