Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K5's must have weird powers (long)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BlueOx, May 10, 2003.

1. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

K5\'s must have weird powers (long)

These trucks must have some kind of weird power to them. I lost the K5 bug many months ago shortly after buying a D60 and 14 bolt. I swapped in a TBI and was really surprised the thing even ran. The K5 is not a daily driver for me so I only mess with it every once in a while. Hell, in the last 3yrs I think I put about 2,800 miles on it. My daily driver is a 01 Mustang GT. The GT bug was very bad. I just spent about $13,000 on a built Cobra engine, Novi 2000 S/C, and Viper T-56 transmission (hello 675 HP) and it’s still not done. The other day I went to the storage (enclosed RV storage. The garage is not tall enough for the K5 to fit) where I have the K5 and some parts for the GT. I looked at the poor K5 up on some real tall jack stands with out the rear axle and felt I had to do something. I rolled the 14 bolt under the truck and began to install the rear axle. Well, before I knew it the rear axle was in and I was taking out the front. I was real dirty and in clothes that weren’t meant for working in. I told my girlfriend then I left that I was be back in 30 min so we could go to dinner. Two hours later I get home and she asks what happened to me. I reply with “ that damn truck was in the way!” (hahaha). I shower, change, and we grab a quick bite to eat. She asks what I want to do next and I reply jokingly, “I want to install the D60 in the K5.” This is the great part. She lets go home and change and I’ll help you. WTF! For the rest of the night we took out the 10 bolt front axle and installed the D60. Now the Blazer bug is fighting the GT bug. I ordered some parts from ORD and will complete the steering system when they get here. The K5 looked a lot taller than it did before with just the axle swap and 35” from 33” tires. I’ll just see where all this takes me and I must say it’s good to be back. I love this site

Charles

2. NITRO

NITRO 1/2 ton status

Re: K5\'s must have weird powers (long)

SWEET. now, just sell the rust-stain and get the money to throw into the K5 /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif you know u want to.
    but n e wayz thats sweet.

NITRO

3. bajaviking

bajaviking 1/2 ton status

I hear you brother. 7 years ago I was stupid enough to sell my first K5 and buy a Trans-Am. Then I had a Supra(Yikes) and finally a Mustang which I actually really liked but I finally had to give in to that little voice inside my head that was telling me to get a K5 again. Traded in the Mustang and bought an 86 which i have been improving on ever since. At one time my wife told me that she would buy me a new pick-up so that I wouldn't have to be working on my old Blazer all the time, I told her that it was a very nice thought but I actually like messing around with that old thing so no thanks.

By the way, sounds like a mean Stang you got there, not as mean as a K5 though. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

Glad to hear that you found interest in the K5 again. Have fun with it.

5. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

Marry that girl

I know how it is being pulled from toy to toy. When I am not working on the Grand National or the Blazer, I am putting a cam or rockers on the 454 in the boat.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I just know that when I visit Houston, I'll be wantin' a ride in the 'stang! Sounds like that's a VERY fun ride! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. BlueOx

BlueOx 1/2 ton status

HarryH3
    Well for all the help you gave me in the TBI swap; I'll let you drive it.

8. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    Well for all the help you gave me in the TBI swap; I'll let you drive it.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Hmm, I'm the king of driveline damage. Maybe I'll just sit in the passenger seat, hang on, and grin! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I've been accused of speed shifting WAY too hard. But then, I've never seen a reason to let off the gas pedal during a shift, you just have to be VERY quick with the shifter and only disengage the clutch for a millisecond or so. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif Makes for quick times, but it sure is tough on the hardware! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif