Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

K5's score 1000+ on the ramp (pics)

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by micah, Jun 2, 2004.

1. micah

micah 1/2 ton status

K5\'s score 1000+ on the ramp (pics)

We went to Katemcy for some wheeling, Texas style. unfortunately, I forgot to take the camera out on the trails, so the only evidence i've got is the flexing we did back at camp.
    more pics here... including other k5's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. BobK

BobK 1/2 ton status

Petrolia,Ontario,Canada but working in Port Huron,
    Re: K5\'s on the ramp (pics)

Cool..nice flex! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Damn that looks pretty good what did that score? /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

4. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

damn nice flex can we get some specs /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Are the tires really sticky, or how did it not slide off in the 2nd pic? Nice pics, awesome flex /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

6. GMC

GMC 1/2 ton status

Great pics! I also see that red big boy K5 in the back there in the 2nd pic.

7. micah

micah 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Damn that looks pretty good what did that score? /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

who knows... i didn't figure the score out. from what i understand from the owner of the ramp though, its 1000 or more both ways.

[ QUOTE ]
    damn nice flex can we get some specs

[/ QUOTE ]

The white one (pictured above) is mine and it has 52's up front with the shackle mount moved forward in the frame and a 7 1/4 inch shackle, 56's in the rear with a homemade shackle flip. 1 ton axles with 4.56, modified hummer rims, 42 inch TSL's. Motor is a smokey 400 with a level 3 bowtie overdrives 700r4 to a 208. 1350 1 ton shaft rear and a home made square shaft front. Lift is at about 4 inches suspension and 2 inches body.

[ QUOTE ]
    Are the tires really sticky, or how did it not slide off in the 2nd pic?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, the tires are sticky... this was there first time out of the driveway. Its hard to keep the rear on the ramp when flexing the rear that high, and I didn't get it over far enough at first. I just drove off the ramp forward and rear. everyone was doing it (testosterone thing...) but many of them had to gas and turn into it to thwart a roll over... I rather enjoyed being able to drive off in both directions and feel rather stable while doing it.... of course, i've got the body damage from the ramp to prove it /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    Great pics! I also see that red big boy K5 in the back there in the 2nd pic.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the 2 1/2 ton k5 i've posted pics of in the past. of course, you could visit the link in the first post above and see how he did on the ramp too. I've also get pics of how 77mudbuddy did (blue and white blazer).

8. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Wow, both yours and mudbuddys pics are AWESOME! I really like those pics, new pic for the desktop /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

what kind of shocks are you running? btw awesome flex /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

10. micah

micah 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Wow, both yours and mudbuddys pics are AWESOME! I really like those pics, new pic for the desktop /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

aww shucks... hmm, should i feel dirty? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. micah

micah 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    what kind of shocks are you running? btw awesome flex /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

i've got the ProComp es9000's... 15 inches travel front and rear.

12. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

thanks... are the front shocks mounted at half stroke in the ford towers?

13. micah

micah 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    thanks... are the front shocks mounted at half stroke in the ford towers?

[/ QUOTE ]

I installed the shock eye at about 5 1/2 inches above the frame.

14. smokkey1

smokkey1 1/2 ton status

thanks.

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Re: K5\'s score 1000+ on the ramp (pics)

definetally over 1000 backwards, as for forwards, not so sure. to score a 1000 on a 25* ramp you'd have to travel up the ramp the lengtho of your wheelbase, I'm pretty certain anyway. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Either, impressive, bet you had loads of fun, wish I could finish mine, I really need to have some damn fun.

16. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Sick flex!!!

17. micah

micah 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    definetally over 1000 backwards, as for forwards, not so sure. to score a 1000 on a 25* ramp you'd have to travel up the ramp the lengtho of your wheelbase, I'm pretty certain anyway. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. Either, impressive, bet you had loads of fun, wish I could finish mine, I really need to have some damn fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah, that's the way i understand it too... and the picture doesn't show it too well, but my rear hub was just about in line with the end of the ramp, so ok... 995 forward /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. Like you said though, we had a blast... hell, we were just impressed with how well we did, we've been working feverishly to make it in time and to do as well as we did (and no breakage for me) was more than any of us expected!!!

Jeremy (balls of fire) broke a Rockwell rear axle shaft /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif but was lucky enough to find someone that had a spare and Prescott (77mudbuddy) started having some over heating issues before we left.

18. GMC

GMC 1/2 ton status

I just went and looked at all the pics in your album. All your K5's are awesome!!! I think my K5 has been inspired by your pics. Awesome flex!!! Also that "balls of fire K5" looks like a life size tonka toy. I love that think and I bet it looks even more sick in person. Could you point me in the direction of info of your suspension set-up or talk more about it in detail. Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

19. rocko

rocko 1/2 ton status

Very impressive Micah... freaking impressive..
    Now.... I must get my K5 done.... dammit..

20. micah

micah 1/2 ton status

picture tell a better story, so i'll have to get some pics of it all for you in the daylight... but for now, i'm running my stock rear springs up front with no overload. They net 4 inches, and move the front axle forward 2 inches. 56 inch stock springs (got my pack from a CUCV pickup) installed in the rear with a flipped overload and a shackle flip made up from the front spring hanger from a pickup. Net 4 inches lift. 2 inch body lift, this is for some extra firewall clearance, and also to facilitate the flat belly plans i have when i get around to it.

The blue and white one is a similar setup, but he has a bit more lift in the form of an echobit flip which nets ~6 inches lift and a zero rate up front (which pushes his front axle forward an additional 1 1/2 inches. He didn't move his shackle mount up front and he is running the Hill 4x4 extended shackle which IIRC nets another 1inch. he still has the 2 inch body lift, so that puts him at ~8 inches total lift.

We're both running hummer rims but he hasn't modified his front rims yet since he is still running the dually hubs that were on his Dana60. His rears are modified to 3 1/2 inch backspacing and mine are modified for 4 1/2... personally, i now prefer the 3 1/2, or maybe 4.

The Ball of Fire rig is running 56's up front with shackle moved forward and some homemade extended shackles. He's got some springs from a 94 suburban which measure out at 61 inches eye to eye (we thought they should be 63, but go figure) in the rear. He did the same homemade flip i did in the rear, and his rear shackle is 4 1/2 inches (stock from the suburban)

The blue and white rig is running Rancho 9000's (16 inch travel), i'm running ProComp ES9000's (15 inch travel) and the orange rig is running ES3000's (15 inches).

I don't know what else you might want to know, so i guess i'll leave it to you to ask for specifics.